Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:16 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
[left]

As a Wimbledon fan, I’m well familiar with the delights of Smellhurst Park as we played there for a decade.
I saw more than the odd Norwich defeat against you there as well - a particularly memorable 3-0 spanking in the pouring rain on a open terrace springs to mind.

Not that I hold much of a grudge against the place ...

I understand the attraction of the Premier League for visitors, the media hype sees to that, but like so many others I know they’re not seeing the real heart of our football. The season we were in League 1 was as enjoyable as any other I’ve seen, and I feel as much at home watching Cambridge United - something I’ve been doing for 27 years - as I do at Carrow Road.
Scots_Al and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the Brentford v Derby match. Griffin Park seems like a great place to watch a match, in an old-school kind of way. The pub on every corner....might have to try a beer at each.

Cheers.
You should, the Princess Royal was the first pub we were regularly allowed in to when we were 15. The barman knew, the regulars knew, the deal was "you play up, they will kick the s*** out of you", and not that we were ever likely to (we knew our place!) we got to know them very well as we played pool/darts against/with them and were "alright". Famously, well to us at least, we would need £1.10 for a good night out for the 3 of us: 5p each way bus ride as we were under 16, then 33p a pint for the cheapest lager so we could buy a round each before we ran out of money! It was a good time. I must visit Griffin Park before they demolish it, and I believe they still have terracing.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You should, the Princess Royal was the first pub we were regularly allowed in to when we were 15. The barman knew, the regulars knew, the deal was "you play up, they will kick the s*** out of you", and not that we were ever likely to (we knew our place!) we got to know them very well as we played pool/darts against/with them and were "alright". Famously, well to us at least, we would need £1.10 for a good night out for the 3 of us: 5p each way bus ride as we were under 16, then 33p a pint for the cheapest lager so we could buy a round each before we ran out of money! It was a good time. I must visit Griffin Park before they demolish it, and I believe they still have terracing.
Love that story. I had a similar place in the US, but was a Pizza joint, and the beer was in a soda cup instead of a beer mug. Have to keep up appearances. LOL
I will recall your youth when at the The Princess Royal for a pre or post match beer.

Overall, I am really jazzed for this weekend. Gutted over the loss to Newcastle, but hoping for a strong rebound against Arsenal. Seems The Bricklayers pub is a good spot to hang with fellow Tottenham supporters, so that is my plan for Sunday unless someone pops up a better choice. Will get there early, but hopefully stay sober enough to enjoy watching the play.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sounds like it was a decent, if one-sided, game at Brentford yesterday?

Even if not, it will be better than my experience! 2 hour delay from GLA into LHR due to ‘smoke’ in the cabin. Got to Wimbledon v Wycombe just in time for a 0-0, and my flight home today from LGW was cancelled due to ATC problems. Re-booked initially to EDI from LHR, I’ve managed to get myself on a GLA flight, but will be 4 hours late home.

Others often question my sanity; usually I try to defend myself... finding it hard today!
Silver Fox and goodeats21 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Even if not, it will be better than my experience! 2 hour delay from GLA into LHR due to ‘smoke’ in the cabin. Got to Wimbledon v Wycombe just in time for a 0-0, and my flight home today from LGW was cancelled due to ATC problems. Re-booked initially to EDI from LHR, I’ve managed to get myself on a GLA flight, but will be 4 hours late home.

Others often question my sanity; usually I try to defend myself... finding it hard today!
Well, sorry you had such difficulty with your travels, and just a draw. Bit disappointing to have Spurs up 2-nil, then come away with a draw as well. And I traveled a good deal further then you, so no questioning of your sanity by me!!

Brentford was a fun game to watch. Always good when the home team does well - Atmosphere was electric. And Griffin Park was very cool to be inside.
Great way to spend the day, and would definitely do something similar again. Front row seat, very close to midfield. Have never seen a professional match from that vantage point.

And took numerous drinks at The Princess Royal. Nice pub, friendly folks. Thanks for the recommendation.

Scots_Al and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very good! And thanks for the pics! Glad you had a great time!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Thanks to this thread, we will be attending a game in Nov at Griffin Park. We had previously been to Chelsea and to Fulham (last year when they were back at EPL level). My husband has a goal to attend a game at all the London Premier League teams, but wasn’t too excited about the games that were being played the day that we are there. He thought about going back to Chelsea, but I mentioned that I had seen this thread and that he should look at Griffin Park. The best part for me is that the hospitality packages are soooooo much cheaper than EPL. Plus, it is fairly close to Kew Gardens, so we can go to Christmas at Kew after the game.
Scots_Al and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathinJax
Thanks to this thread, we will be attending a game in Nov at Griffin Park. We had previously been to Chelsea and to Fulham (last year when they were back at EPL level). My husband has a goal to attend a game at all the London Premier League teams, but wasn’t too excited about the games that were being played the day that we are there. He thought about going back to Chelsea, but I mentioned that I had seen this thread and that he should look at Griffin Park. The best part for me is that the hospitality packages are soooooo much cheaper than EPL. Plus, it is fairly close to Kew Gardens, so we can go to Christmas at Kew after the game.
Very cool. I am sure you will have a great time.

I just booked another trip for early next year. Really want to see Tottenham's new stadium. They are playing Wolves, so I am hopeful to score a reasonable ticket.
Not willing to give up $500 USD for their hospitality package for it.
Silver Fox and KathinJax like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your game is on the Sunday. On the Saturday, how about going to Brentford v Derby? It’s a Championship games and a last chance to get to one of the real old school grounds (Griffin Park) left before it is demolished at the end of the year - it’s famous for having a pub at every corner!

There aren’t many other games in London that day (all the way down to Conference South level). Other games in London that day are:

Millwall v Hull (Championship - a fairly routine match, nothing to get excited about... Millwall’s fans are better behaved than they used to be, so you should probably escape without serious injury!).

Wimbledon v Wycombe (league 1... even as a Wimbledon fan who will be at this one, I wouldn’t suggest you subject yourself to it - we’re awful and Wycombe are the biggest bunch of diving, cheating, time-wasting, cynical sods out there).

And 3 Premiershit games, but I imagine you’ve already checked these out:

Chelsea v Sheff Utd
Palace v Villa
West Ham v Norwich
Just snagged a great seat for the Brentford v Derby County match at Griffin Park. Thanks again to the great FT community for lending your opinions and expertise.

And will have plenty of time to wander about Tottenham area the next day to check out some local pubs for that match as well.
COYS !

Greetings all. Happy Boxing Day to those so celebrating...

Calling on the collective PL wisdom of Flyertalk again.

So, booked my travel back to London for the weekend of Feb 29th, as Spurs were scheduled against Wolves that afternoon. But now the schedule changed, and we got pushed back to Sunday.
I am all set for the Spurs match, including ticket for the match, but wondering if there was anything football worthwhile going on Saturday in London area? Ideally something I could get tickets easily for?
I land at LHR at 7AM, so could make just about anything work on Saturday, timing wise.

I had a great time at Griffin Park, but looks like Brentford plays away on the 29th, so that is out. And probably better to find a new experience anyway.

My limited knowledge searching found Millwall hosting Bristol City at "The Den" on Saturday. Would that be a good choice?
Checking some close-in matches, looks like tickets are generally available, but tickets for this match have not been released yet. Not sure how available tickets here tend to be?

Or Fulham hosting Preston North End at Craven Cottage? Or maybe something other than Championship League?

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks - COYS!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:28 am
Community Director

There appears to be only a few options in London itself - Fulham, Millwall and QPR.

If you have time to travel outside London, there’s games at Gillingham and Cambridge in the lower divisions (and Reading in the Championship) - all relatively short train rides, although Reading’s ground is a long way from the centre. In terms of the places themselves if you want to build in a wander around Cambridge would win by a country mile. The ground is north of the centre, about a 25 minute walk from the train station, and you could enjoy the novelty of a standing terrace.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Premiershit:

Brighton v Palace? If you can get tickets this should be a tasty affair between two teams that don’t really like each other. Brighton is about an hour south of London by train.

Watford v Liverpool? About half an hour north of London. Should be a one-sided affair though!

Championship:

Fulham v Preston - Craven Cottage is another old ground full of character. Don’t know if they still do, but always used to have a neutral section which I always found a bit odd, but reflects I guess that there are quite a few day trippers. Both teams going well at the moment too.

QPR v Birmingham - Loftus Road is again an interesting ground, the likes of which would not be built today!

Leagues 1 and 2 - nothing in London that day

Curveball option (literally!) - go to Harlequins v Exeter Chiefs at Twickenham Stoop (this is not the 90,000 seater stadium next door!). This is Premiership rugby. Exeter will probably win the league this year. Quins may fancy an upset here though, as the match falls during the six nations and Exeter will be missing some of their best players. Rugby is a far more sociable sport - fans are mixed rather than segregated and you can drink during the game (indeed it is expected!).
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Greetings all. Happy Boxing Day to those so celebrating...

My limited knowledge searching found Millwall hosting Bristol City at "The Den" on Saturday. Would that be a good choice?
Type into Gooooogle millwall bristol city and see what the first suggestion is!

There is a bit of history of "trouble" between them so might not be the most relaxing match.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
There appears to be only a few options in London itself - Fulham, Millwall and QPR.

If you have time to travel outside London, there’s games at Gillingham and Cambridge in the lower divisions (and Reading in the Championship) - all relatively short train rides, although Reading’s ground is a long way from the centre. In terms of the places themselves if you want to build in a wander around Cambridge would win by a country mile. The ground is north of the centre, about a 25 minute walk from the train station, and you could enjoy the novelty of a standing terrace.
Thanks. Good options, that I would never have thought of. I think better to stay in London area though. Still have much to see here, and hotel already booked.

Premiershit:

Brighton v Palace? If you can get tickets this should be a tasty affair between two teams that don’t really like each other. Brighton is about an hour south of London by train.

Watford v Liverpool? About half an hour north of London. Should be a one-sided affair though!

Championship:

Fulham v Preston - Craven Cottage is another old ground full of character. Don’t know if they still do, but always used to have a neutral section which I always found a bit odd, but reflects I guess that there are quite a few day trippers. Both teams going well at the moment too.

QPR v Birmingham - Loftus Road is again an interesting ground, the likes of which would not be built today!

Leagues 1 and 2 - nothing in London that day

Curveball option (literally!) - go to Harlequins v Exeter Chiefs at Twickenham Stoop (this is not the 90,000 seater stadium next door!). This is Premiership rugby. Exeter will probably win the league this year. Quins may fancy an upset here though, as the match falls during the six nations and Exeter will be missing some of their best players. Rugby is a far more sociable sport - fans are mixed rather than segregated and you can drink during the game (indeed it is expected!).
Great input. Thanks!
Want to stick with football for now. Still learning, and no need to throw Rugby into my limited brain space. LOL
I was surprised at the lack of drinking in the stands at football matches though....

Really liked the atmosphere at Brentford, so looking toward Championship League. Will save PL for my Spurs on Sunday.

Leaning toward either Craven Cottage or Loftus Road. Both seem to have some character, and the teams playing that day seem fairly evenly matched (at least by current table standings). Looks like Craven Cottage is nestled in some parks by the river. Any pubs or other pre/post game hangouts around? Or does everyone migrate over to the Putney Bridge stop for festivities? Seems kind of fun to walk through the park to the grounds.

Are either of these matches considered a rivalry, where tickets would be scarce? Ticket availability might end of being the deciding factor.

Again - thanks for the expert advice!

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Type into Gooooogle millwall bristol city and see what the first suggestion is!

There is a bit of history of "trouble" between them so might not be the most relaxing match.
Thanks for the heads up. My google returned mostly match results and highlights, but assuming there is a heated atmosphere, may be better off at Fulham or QPR. Especially if the tickets are going to be more difficult. And The Den doesn't seem to have the character of the other choices.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I really do appreciate it.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:57 am

Premiershit:

Disclaimer - while Brighton itself may be an hour south of London by train, the stadium itself is in Falmer and takes *forever* to get away from by any reasonable method, and you need to be thinking about leaving Brighton proper 90 minutes - 2 hours before kickoff to stand any chance of making kickoff (if you don't utilise the free travel included in the ticket and go towards Lewes before the game as we did last week, which you can leave much closer to kickoff). We didn't get back into London until nearly 8pm after a 3pm kickoff
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:19 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by jt82
Disclaimer - while Brighton itself may be an hour south of London by train, the stadium itself is in Falmer and takes *forever* to get away from by any reasonable method, and you need to be thinking about leaving Brighton proper 90 minutes - 2 hours before kickoff to stand any chance of making kickoff (if you don't utilise the free travel included in the ticket and go towards Lewes before the game as we did last week, which you can leave much closer to kickoff). We didn't get back into London until nearly 8pm after a 3pm kickoff
For the date being requested it’s a bit moot, because the chance of getting a ticket for a Brighton-Palace game without being a member of either Club is, I’d have thought, fairly remote.

However, I would say there’s no need to leave so early before the game - this season I departed central Brighton on the train about an hour before kick-off and was in the away end with 35 minutes to spare.

Going back is a bit more of a lottery with everyone leaving at once - Falmer station simply isn’t big enough to cope - but even with a highly disrupted travel day due to extreme weather I was still back at Gatwick Airport for a flight by 6pm, which would have put me in London by 6.30pm. Nonetheless, I certainly wouldn’t plan a tight schedule around a Brighton home game!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.