Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Your game is on the Sunday. On the Saturday, how about going to Brentford v Derby? It’s a Championship games and a last chance to get to one of the real old school grounds (Griffin Park) left before it is demolished at the end of the year - it’s famous for having a pub at every corner!

There aren’t many other games in London that day (all the way down to Conference South level). Other games in London that day are:

Millwall v Hull (Championship - a fairly routine match, nothing to get excited about... Millwall’s fans are better behaved than they used to be, so you should probably escape without serious injury!).

Wimbledon v Wycombe (league 1... even as a Wimbledon fan who will be at this one, I wouldn’t suggest you subject yourself to it - we’re awful and Wycombe are the biggest bunch of diving, cheating, time-wasting, cynical sods out there).

And 3 Premiershit games, but I imagine you’ve already checked these out:

Chelsea v Sheff Utd
Palace v Villa
West Ham v Norwich
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
This sounds like a good plan. Millwall-Hull looks like a 3PM start time, which would be perfect as I arrive early Saturday morning. Rest a bit at the hotel, then be good-to-go for the match and subsequent beer crawl. Good preamble for Spurs on Sunday.
Sounds like a plan! There are lots of decent pubs around Bermondsey and I know quite a few of them (thanks to the beer crawls with the lads from head office up in London) so let me know if you need any suggestion. Going back to football, the atmosphere at The Den (Millwall's football ground) may not be as 'tense' as back in the days but still amongst the best in the Country I would say (I'm a Blackburn fan and visited quite a few over the years).

G
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Your game is on the Sunday. On the Saturday, how about going to Brentford v Derby? It’s a Championship games and a last chance to get to one of the real old school grounds (Griffin Park) left before it is demolished at the end of the year - it’s famous for having a pub at every corner!

There aren’t many other games in London that day (all the way down to Conference South level). Other games in London that day are:

Millwall v Hull (Championship - a fairly routine match, nothing to get excited about... Millwall’s fans are better behaved than they used to be, so you should probably escape without serious injury!).

Wimbledon v Wycombe (league 1... even as a Wimbledon fan who will be at this one, I wouldn’t suggest you subject yourself to it - we’re awful and Wycombe are the biggest bunch of diving, cheating, time-wasting, cynical sods out there).

And 3 Premiershit games, but I imagine you’ve already checked these out:

Chelsea v Sheff Utd
Palace v Villa
West Ham v Norwich
This is great stuff. Thanks.
I am leaning toward Griffin Park. That does sound like a more unique experience, stadium wise, then The Den.
Though I am intrigued by "the biggest bunch of diving, cheating, time-wasting, cynical sods out there", as that sounds like a great football experience as well....

Any insight into which section of Griffin Park I should sit in? Looks like tickets are on general sale now, so will likely grab one later today.

Thanks to everyone for the info and ideas.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
I love how even Grifin Park, which might not be the most prestigious football ground, has logos of Qatar Airways on top.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Sounds like a plan! There are lots of decent pubs around Bermondsey and I know quite a few of them (thanks to the beer crawls with the lads from head office up in London) so let me know if you need any suggestion. Going back to football, the atmosphere at The Den (Millwall's football ground) may not be as 'tense' as back in the days but still amongst the best in the Country I would say (I'm a Blackburn fan and visited quite a few over the years).

G
Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the Brentford v Derby match. Griffin Park seems like a great place to watch a match, in an old-school kind of way. The pub on every corner....might have to try a beer at each.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’d echo the suggestion of Griffin Park. However if you do want another Premiership March Crystal Palace isn’t bad. Surprising amount of atmosphere and it still feels a bit old school.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:33 am

This is great stuff. Thanks.
I am leaning toward Griffin Park. That does sound like a more unique experience, stadium wise, then The Den.
Though I am intrigued by "the biggest bunch of diving, cheating, time-wasting, cynical sods out there", as that sounds like a great football experience as well....

Any insight into which section of Griffin Park I should sit in? Looks like tickets are on general sale now, so will likely grab one later today.

Thanks to everyone for the info and ideas.
Can’t personally help you with where to sit (though I think there’s a terrace behind the goal for standing if you want), but this website might be worth a look (it’s mainly meant for away fans, but will give you an idea);

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/...tml?expand=all
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Crystal Palace isn’t bad. Surprising amount of atmosphere
You either support Palace or never been to Selhurst Park

G
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just snagged a great seat for the Brentford v Derby County match at Griffin Park. Thanks again to the great FT community for lending your opinions and expertise.

And will have plenty of time to wander about Tottenham area the next day to check out some local pubs for that match as well.
COYS !
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You either support Palace or never been to Selhurst Park

G
😂 Two good friends who support the Super Eagles and occasionally lend me their season tickets!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:39 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

�� Two good friends who support the Super Eagles and occasionally lend me their season tickets!
In that case I guess the seats are behind one of the goals. If ever you’ve had to suffer the away seating at Selhurst, in the Arthur Wait Stand, then you’ll know just why many people never want to return again - it is truly one of the most depressing experiences in football!

Incidentally, West Ham v Norwich was mentioned as a possibility upthread - up until a couple of days ago tickets were apparently still available in home areas (the away allocation sold out in less than 45 minutes), so a reasonable option to see a Premier League game.

Just snagged a great seat for the Brentford v Derby County match at Griffin Park. Thanks again to the great FT community for lending your opinions and expertise.
I think that’ll be a decent game - Brentford have played very attractive football for the whole of their time in the Championship, and I’d think Derby will be the same even with a change in manager. I too like Griffin Park - it’ll be sadly missed when it’s gone.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If ever you’ve had to suffer the away seating at Selhurst, in the Arthur Wait Stand, then you’ll know just why many people never want to return again - it is truly one of the most depressing experiences in football!
I’ve been at Palace with the mighty Rovers from the North quite a few times and don’t think it’s that bad. But then I’m guessing you’ve never been to places like Blundell Park (nothing better than a grim Tuesday night at Grimsby...), Turf Moor or that s***hole of Luton’s Kenilworth Road...?

G
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:50 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

I’ve been at Palace with the mighty Rovers from the North quite a few times and don’t think it’s that bad. But then I’m guessing you’ve never been to places like Blundell Park (nothing better than a grim Tuesday night at Grimsby...), Turf Moor or that s***hole of Luton’s Kenilworth Road...?

G
All of them, as it happens 🙂. I was a member of The 92 Club by the age of 26, and unfortunately that’s quite a while ago now!

There are worst away experiences than Selhurst, but i can’t think of many in London - perhaps QPR in some of the upper deck seating, and the attitude of the stewards there does evoke similarities with Palace (although both are improved).

Kenilworth Road is certainly, err, unique though. Now Filbert Street is gone, I don’t think there’s any grounds left where you effectively enter through a terraced house, and to be greeted by the sight of someone’s underwear hanging out to dry afterwards is definitely the icing on the cake ...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:26 am

Now Filbert Street is gone, I don’t think there’s any grounds left where you effectively enter through a terraced house, and to be greeted by the sight of someone’s underwear hanging out to dry afterwards is definitely the icing on the cake
Cracking! I think the Baseball Ground in Derby was able to replicate such ‘experience’ but that’s also a distant past now and which, in all honesty, I happen to miss (and I can assure that’s not because we’re now a mediocre Championship side as opposed to the the Shearer-&-Sutton’s glory days!)

G
NWIFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:35 am

There are worst away experiences than Selhurst, but i can’t think of many in London
As a Wimbledon fan, I’m well familiar with the delights of Smellhurst Park as we played there for a decade.

I’d venture that our current offering at Kingsmeadow is worse in many respects for away fans, however - a very shallow terrace on the side of the pitch which means that 1/3 of the pitch is not easy to see unless you’re very tall. Thankfully, almost 30 years since we left, we’re heading back to Plough Lane soon...

York City, Bristol Rovers and Accrington Stanley all come to mind as “fun” away days in the pouring rain - all open terraces (York also has open toilets, well a wall with a drain).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.