Wiki Posts
Search

What to do on First Day in London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
What to do on First Day in London

We will be arriving early in the morning on SG flight into Heathrow and will book into hotel in or about Paddington. So as not to waste the day what does other FTers suggest to do with only an afternoon so as not to waste it. No doubt we will be tired so nothing too strenuous. Will be staying another 2 nights before heading to Cornwall. First time in London.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Big bus tour - to get bearings and scope.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with above on doing a touristy bus trip. Here is the Big bus tour link. google London Bus Tours for more. There are many good London web sites.

On my first trip to London (many years ago now) did the Red Double Decker tourist bus. Could get off & get on when the next bus came next. At that time I think is was part the normal bus system
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What to do on first day in London

Maybe take a train to somewhere nice, with a return coinciding with your last day in London?
Edited to add: since you're going to Cornwall, I'll give you some leeway. How about an afternoon around Greenwich?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:28 am

Go for a canal ride on the Jenny Wren, very relaxing and rather unique.
http://www.walkersquay.com/
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
I don't think I would want to sit on a bus after flying all night. Besides it's my view you get your bearings in any city by walking. London is wonderful for that. You might try the National Gallery or the Cabinet War Rooms followed by tea at Fortnum and Mason's. Or if you want to shop (or just look ), go down Piccadilly and walk through the Burlington Arcade...lovely shops there...as well as Jermyn Street and then have tea. This is not heavy duty shopping like Oxford St, just charming places that have lovely things. Then walk through Green Park and you are still in the right place for tea at F and M or if you want to really do it up, the Ritz.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I would recommend a boat ride on the Thames to/fr Greenwich. Have a look around Greenwich and the observatory. You could add on the ride out to the Thames barrier. I've found this to be relaxing, informative and gives you a good view of London from the river.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
I'm a fan of London Walks http://www.walks.com/ -- 2 hour walks guided by somebody knowledgeable, not too strenuous (i.e., not walking at speed-walking pace), usually the other folks on the walks are congenial company. Cost is 6 pounds (concessions rate 5 pounds); Web site lists a vast variety of possible walks. I think getting settled into your hotel, having lunch, doing a 2:00pm walk, wandering around a bit more afterwards, then finding dinner... that'll keep you on the go so that you'll go to bed at a reasonable local time. At least that's how I deal with jet lag; though YMMV.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, SPG Gold,NW GE
British Museum

I arrived Heathrow last Friday, very early from IAD because of strong tailwind. Tube to Russell Square took an hour or so. Not too crowded.

Hotel on Old Gloucester Road not ready so left my bags and spent several hours walking, with a visit to the British Museum. The Egyptian exhibits will keep you awake.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
To quickly settle down and get going for sight seeing, I would suggest the Hilton at Paddinton.
http://www.hilton.co.uk/paddington

With an afternoon to burn, how about the Big Ben and nearby sights (Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, National Gallery....)

Take tube to Westminster or Picadilly Circus or Charing Cross and explore.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html

If time still allows, swing over to Covent Garden a look-see. By now, you probably need an infusion of energy. Take a short walk over to Gerrard Street and Gerrard Place, you will find great Chinese cuisine here. Take tube home from Leicester Square.
Enjoy London, my second home.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:08 pm

OK, first things first. Unless you are much younger and/or of stronger stock than I, get a TWO hour nap. No more. If you like shows, Google the London Theater web site before you go and line up some shows you would like. We really enjoy the musicals and comedy's. Depending on the day of the week, maybe even a matinée. If cost is an object go to the theater and get the least expensive ticket. (HALF PRICE TICKETS is half of the most expensive plus a fee) Then ride the 11 double decker from Victoria Station up past Parliament, Trafalgar Square, etc. to about St. Paul's. The 36 will get you to Victoria from Paddington. The bus system is less expensive than the tube and you see the sights. Nothing like the top front seat on a double decker. The system is easy to use, just get a free bus map. Most locals are friendly and will assist you if you need help. You are not in Paris! You will see a lot of the famous sights for one fare. Come back and do Leicester (pronounced Lester) Square and Piccadilly Circus. If you still have time time, as mentioned above, the War Rooms (check for 2 for 1 coupon), or if you appreciate art the National Gallery (free). The British Museum (free) is very impressive. If you are not married to the Paddington area, we find the Thistle Victoria in Victoria Station or the Quality Eccleston are convenient. (But, I guess you leave from Paddington.) If you need additional economical suggestions, PM me. Cheers, Ken
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Thanks for the responses FTers there is plenty to think about from your responses.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My Two Cents

First, buy a daypass (called a "travelcard") for unlimited rides on bus, subway and national rail lines within the 6 zone London transit region; when I was last there 10 months ago, it was going for $13.40 (L6.70). A one way ticket on the underground costs a stunning $8.00 (L4.00).

I take it you are staying in the Paddington area because your train for Cornwall (end of the line is Penzance) departs from Paddington. The Hilton hotel is actually attached to the station (I think it was once known as the Great Western Hotel)--in fact, the easiest way to get to the train platform from the tube station that serves Paddington is to cross the street, walk through the hotel lobby, and then go through the door that leads to the station (the station's main entrance is actually around the side, where the cabs are).

FYI, there is an overnight sleeper on the Paddington-Penzance run (which I think takes 5-6 hours). I've taken that route as far west as Exeter (I think the train operator is First Great Western), just under 3 hours from London.

As far as what to do when on your first day, Hyde Park is very close to your hotel (maybe 3 blocks until you reach Bayswater Road, the north end of the park). Take a leisurely stroll acroos the park. The famous Harrods department store happens to be on the other side of the park (I think the road that runs in front of it is called Brompton Road). Another mile or so beyond that is Westminster, and both Parliament and Westminster Abbey are open to tourists (Parliament does not charge to get in, and you can sit in the "stranger's gallery if the House of Commons is in session--the Abbey does charge to get in).

As far as getting around London is concerned, if you have a choice between bus and the underground, take the bus. Although the underground is an all encompassing service on the north side of the Thames, some of its stations involve an amazingly long walk with multiple sets of stairs/escalators, and while the stations and the trains are clean and safe, you won't see anything.

A good resource for you in visiting London and using public transport is:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk

This has comprehensive maps and info on both bus, underground and national rail in the London region.

Another must do in London is to attend the theater. I think Phantom of the Opera is still at "Her Majesty's Theatre", on Haymarket near Leicester Square. There is a booth at Leicester Square that is similar to TKTS in Times Square NYC that sells discounted tickets on a same day basis (we got into Jesus Christ Superstar for 50% of the list price this way when that show was open in the late 90s).

Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walk. If you are up for it, you could walk from Paddington down Edgware Road, through Hyde Park, past Buckingham Palace and through St James Park to Parliament Sqaure. From there, cross Westminster Bridge and stroll eastwards along the Thames to Tower Bridge. It will take 2-3 hours but give you a fab introduction. If you fancy this, post back and I'll pull together some eating/drinking options along the way.

I hope you enjoy Cornwall, it's a lovely part of the world. Indeed, one of the few parts of the UK outside London worth visiting. (take note graraps)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Walk....From there, cross Westminster Bridge and stroll eastwards along the Thames to Tower Bridge.......
I ususally stroll down the Parliament side of the Thames, passing gardens, Sir Arthur Sullivan's statue, an Egyptian oblisque, etc. At the oblisque is World War bomb damage. A total surprise: not WWII, but WWI. Other than the wheel and the National theater, what will I see on the other side? In addition, I am always interested in inexpensive eating spots. Ken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.