Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapish Accom in Central London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Originally Posted by kaiflyer
begins to explain the difference a bit better...
Yup ;-) I loves me my friends - and their adventures.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:13 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I usually have good luck with Priceline for London zone 1.

For example: Coming up in January, I'll be staying at the Hilton Metropole across from the Edgware Road tube for 2 nights. Pre-paid including taxes $227.79, or about £55 a night for a 4 star Hilton.

I always search for 4 star or better, and pick the neighborhood I want. If Priceline says no, I continue bidding the same price but add one additional neighborhood each time until I get a yes.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:54 am

Sleep Inn Tower of London is very highly rated on TripAdvisor for a budget hotel. That said, since it's just you and you don't have to worry about a specific room configuration or anything, I'd probably try Priceline first too. Shoot for a 5-star -- you never know!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

I must admit I dont GET how priceline works......
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:42 am

Welcome to FT, ArizonaGuy.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:48 pm

I must admit I dont GET how priceline works......
There's more information in the Travel Bidding forum but basically, you select the area you want to stay in and offer a price per night. If it's accepted, your credit card is immediately billed and the booking is non-refundable. Only then are you told where you're actually staying, so it's a bit of a gamble. If your bid isn't accepted, you have a chance to bid again, but only if you add a new area or are willing to accept a lower category of hotel.

In London, there are several distinct areas you can bid on -- generally, 4-stars are the best deal/easiest to get (there aren't that many 5 stars available and 3-star hotels often go for similar amounts as the 4-stars), particularly in the areas with lots of big mainstream hotel chains.

On the U.S. site, the price you offer does not include taxes and fees -- those are added on afterward (ETA: though you do see the whole total before you submit your bid), and can be 10-15% more a night. I'm not familiar with how the UK site works.

Last edited by TeaAddict; Oct 13, 2007 at 7:54 am
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - If it was only one night or so I might be willing to try that - but 2 weeks is a bit risky for me.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TeaAddict
On the U.S. site, the price you offer does not include taxes and fees -- those are added on afterward, and can be 10-15% more a night. I'm not familiar with how the UK site works.
Similar in UK. Taxes are not included in the bid. However, at confirmation of bid page, it does tell you what the total cost including taxes and fees will be if your bid is successful. I was under the impression that the US site works that way too, now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.