Wiki Posts
Search

Best Fish and Chips in London?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2007, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Nylon
There are actually a couple of other places there in the Stien emporium, the famous Seafood restarant which IMHO is not great value for money- the food is good but not top wack which is what I expect when I pay the prices he charges. The bistro that he also runs is still rather dear but is much better value I think, simpler food but cooked well and a more relaxed atmosphere.
Thanks for that tip, we will try to get to the bistro next time we are in Devon.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Geales in Notting Hill Gate is very good too, although a bit pretentious: they actually put fresh mint in their mushy peas - too creative by half for my taste. But good fish, good chips. And Portobello Market is a few steps away.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:51 pm

Whoa, old thread. But I have a new one in London. "Tom's Place" near Sloan Square. A fish and chips place in a rather unusual neighborhood for one. It is owned my Tom Aiken, who has a much more famous restaurant with his full name in London. He trained with Joel Robuchon in Paris among others. Tom's Place was very, very good. Excellent peas and great fish, perfectly fried. I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: Many
How about the Golden Hind in Marylebone?
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unagi1
How about the Golden Hind in Marylebone?
Very good, though not quite as nice as Tom's Place. Cracking location too, though sadly the O'Conor Don (great pub around the corner) is no more.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Are the posts upthread that claim the SeaShell to be a shadow of its former self, CORRECT??
Used to be a great FC shop, but I haven't been back in a couple of years.

Best, Dave
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by bseller
Are the posts upthread that claim the SeaShell to be a shadow of its former self, CORRECT??

Best, Dave
Never been there, but was at Toms Place very recently, I think it was during the Presidents Day do and it was outstanding.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bseller

Best, Dave
Yes. I live a couple of miles away and decided to pop in for dinner on my way home. It was fine, but really nothing special at all. As i mentioned elsewhere, the original owner sold up a while ago and the new people aren't so focussed on quality.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:50 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Yes. I live a couple of miles away and decided to pop in for dinner on my way home. It was fine, but really nothing special at all. As i mentioned elsewhere, the original owner sold up a while ago and the new people aren't so focussed on quality.
Great shame, I used to be NW8 and it was a very regular haunt in those days, quality always top as well as the value, pity it has gone down hill.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I haven't noticed a much of a change in quality, perhaps the fish portions are a touch smaller though. Also they lost the stunningly cute blonde girl that was working at the counter.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
The Fryers Delight gets my vote - particularly if you're after authentic chips cooked in beef dripping (which is, after all, how the best chips have always been cooked - even when I was vegetarian, this along with bacon was a weakness )

Another one worth keeping in mind is Fishcotheque - across the road from Waterloo station, under the railway bridge. Appaling name, not the most obvious location for a more-than-passable chippy, but has been consistently good in my experience (usually after working late in central London, and needing quality comfort food before taking the train home!)
Old Apr 9, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (Windows 98; US) Opera 10.00 [en])

+1 for Tom's Place. Took a quick walk over from our offices in Victoria and was not disappointed! The sustainability practices are nice too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.