Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Best Fish and Chips in London?

Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I had the most appalling fish and chips last year at a small shop near the Brighton pier, and it put me off of the idea of indulging in a similar meal for the duration of my visit. The chips were horribly tough and stringy, and fish nearly inedible, and the staff surly and rude. With the prospect of another trip to London approaching, can anyone recommend a decent spot? Any location accessible by the tube is fine.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver & Hilton Diamond
Toff's in Muswell Hill, London. Good selection of fish and they constantly supply you with hot fresh chips. Think the closest tube station is Finsbury Park.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone know the name of the award winning place in London?

it was pretty good. but i cant say ive had it in that many restaurants.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone know the name of the award winning place in London?

Harry Ramsden`s?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:09 pm
In memoriam

When I lived in London, the cool place for F & C was:

The Sea Shell Restaurant
49-51 Lisson Grove, London NW1 6UH
Telephone: 020 7224 9000, 020 7724 1063
Fax: 020 7724 9071

Apparently, they are still in business. It was a tad pricey at the time--maybe five quid for dinner--probably twenty quid at current UK prices!

But, it was quite tasty.

Of course, F & C has been going downhill since the Brits fished out the seas causing F & C to go from cheap working class food to something pricey and nostalgic. Banning of serving it in a cone of newspaper didn't help either.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:43 pm

Glad someone deleted those posts before I made a stupid joke about how to get to Australia or Dublin on the tube.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:49 pm

The internet never ceases to amaze me. ^

The Fish & Chip Shop of the Year Competition
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:53 pm

http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...atures/28.html

I know, you probably already googled it... but on our last trip we did go to Fryers Delight, which is the "Cabbie's Choice" for fish and chips (when we used to live in Manhattan, we used to go to a restaurant on the Upper West Side that was "cabbie's choice"... brilliant food... hence the willingness to give it a try).

We weren't disappointed.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:57 pm

Seasons

on Gloucester Road, SW5. Just north of the junction with Harrington Gardens, 50 yds from the Tube.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:12 pm

I've always had good fish and chips at Harry Ramsden's, but I've only ever eaten at the original location in Guiseley. Not sure of locations in the London area, but I'm sure they have at least one. I know there used to be one at Heathrow, but I don't know if it is still there.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fryers Choice near Holborn is fine - closed for one month a year (August?) and ALWAYS full of taxi drivers. Not bad, a little stodgy, but one of the better places in London. MrLapLap and I came across somewhere the other day that looked pretty interesting. I'll confer with him as he was pushing me in the wheelchair at the time, I don't really remember where we were, and post more info when I can find it.

PS - Harry Ramsden Express (plural) are very sorry places - the name is certainly no guarantee of quality - avoid the one at Heathrow at all costs! (If it's not there anymore - I'm not surprised)

Apart from my gran's, best fish & chips I've ever had was in Donegal - I posted the recommendation in the Best Fish & Chips in Ireland thread

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 19, 2007 at 7:36 am
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Wallington Fish Bar on Stafford Rd in Wallington, Surrey. his place is out of the way and is basically a take away but the Fish is fantastic and the chips just the right size and taste. Easily the best I have ever had.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
It was a tad pricey at the time--maybe five quid for dinner--probably twenty quid at current UK prices!
Sea Shell in Lisson Grove are still going and turning out fine F&C as well. Prices have headed up over the past few years but not quite to the twenty quid mark.

Well worth a visit. ^
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:39 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Another vote for Sea Shell... I used to live just around the corner from that place and I had many fish & chips (with mushy peas) dinners from that place, especially when I had my cousins over for the weekend... We simply loved it. Yummy...
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by knifeandfork
on Gloucester Road, SW5. Just north of the junction with Harrington Gardens, 50 yds from the Tube.
SW7... but its quite away from where a tourist would be anyway. 10 minutes walk from natural history museum.
BTW, there is a nice crperie near South Ken station on exhibition road if you're going for a quickie from the museums. Price is going up tho....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.