Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Fish and Chips in London?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2007, 3:05 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Wallington Fish Bar on Stafford Rd in Wallington, Surrey. his place is out of the way and is basically a take away but the Fish is fantastic and the chips just the right size and taste. Easily the best I have ever had.
Wow that is a blast from the past-I remember that place very well
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:01 am

See these previous old but not out-of-date threads for other recommendations:

fish & Chips within zone 1
Best fish and chips?
Fish and Chips near Gresham Hyde Park Hotel?

I'm still a fan of the Rock and Sole Plaice on Endell Street in Covent Garden.

There's also a place on Berwick Street Market that's good - but it's only really open lunchtimes and into early evening - it's certainly shut by 6pm. It's very much a market caff, but has some association with the fish stall on the market. It's good and not as touristy as some of the others.

Last edited by Wingnut; Apr 19, 2007 at 4:18 am
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The guy that used to own the Seashell sold up a couple of years ago and now runs a place in Loughton (not exactly tourist territory). After the sale I had several disappointing experiences and haven't been back. Others have also been underwhelmed, so I would strike it off the list.

Ollie's in Herne Hill is the best I've had this year, though I accept that is also not tourist territory.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The guy that used to own the Seashell sold up a couple of years ago and now runs a place in Loughton (not exactly tourist territory). After the sale I had several disappointing experiences and haven't been back. Others have also been underwhelmed, so I would strike it off the list.
Sad to hear that. I was going to cast my vote for the Seashell, but also to warn about the tour buses that often would overwhelm the place.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Every time there is a fish and chips thread on FT I point out may favorite, North Sea Fish Restaurant. I was there for lunch in January and it was as stunning as ever. Or, as I have also said before, you could go to the Ivy, where it is also quite good and pay several times as much for it, but it wont be as good in my opinion.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
When I lived in London, the cool place for F & C was:

The Sea Shell Restaurant
49-51 Lisson Grove, London NW1 6UH
Telephone: 020 7224 9000, 020 7724 1063
Fax: 020 7724 9071

Apparently, they are still in business. It was a tad pricey at the time--maybe five quid for dinner--probably twenty quid at current UK prices!

But, it was quite tasty.

Of course, F & C has been going downhill since the Brits fished out the seas causing F & C to go from cheap working class food to something pricey and nostalgic. Banning of serving it in a cone of newspaper didn't help either.
I've been to this place, an American friend and her sister were staying with me and decided to take me out to dinner, (odd choice but they forgot I'm a vergetarian). They did have some Brocolli quiche of which I had the last piece as they were closing for refurbishment that night, and were running stocks down.

My two dining companions then asked our waitress if they could take some of the place mats, (watercolour pictures of Victorian London landmarks) if they were closing for a while, as they wouldn't need them . She came back and said yes, so they took a set each, and I've since seen these items looking very nice on a table in the US whilst visiting.

Mickey's Fish and Chips, 9 Porchester Rd W2 in Paddington is another favourite, I can vouch for the fact that they do good chips, and the fish is excellent too I'm told. I used to work in Paddington twice a week and had to restrict myself to the number of visits I made a month. Heston Blumenthal (of the Fat Duck, Bray) was a regular customer years ago.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 24, 2007 at 12:05 pm
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Every time there is a fish and chips thread on FT I point out may favorite, North Sea Fish Restaurant.
I will second that. Am going tomorrow
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:51 am

Slightly OT (in fact about 260 miles OT) but I just thought that I would pass on that I had the best Fish and Chips of my life this weekend (and I have eaten in many of the above places) at Rick Stien's chip shop in Padstow, Cornwall. It was about six quid but I don't think that I am ever likely to eat better food from a box!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Another vote for Sea Shell... I used to live just around the corner from that place and I had many fish & chips (with mushy peas) dinners from that place, especially when I had my cousins over for the weekend... We simply loved it. Yummy...
Sea Shell has gone down in quality tremendously.

Much the best place is "Two Brothers Fish" in North London -- Finchley. Well worth the trek out there (the 82 bus goes past the restaurant).
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by duchy
Wow that is a blast from the past-I remember that place very well
Indeed, it is an excellent plaice (groan)
Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (HTC TyTN: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) Opera 8.60 [en])

Originally Posted by Nylon
Slightly OT (in fact about 260 miles OT) but I just thought that I would pass on that I had the best Fish and Chips of my life this weekend (and I have eaten in many of the above places) at Rick Stien's chip shop in Padstow, Cornwall. It was about six quid but I don't think that I am ever likely to eat better food from a box!
Yes, I didnt know about the fsh and chip place but have been meaning to go to his other place there. We have been to Cornwall or Devon three times since that opened and havent made i even though we have wanted to. Another reason to go back to Gidleigh Park. Not that i need a reason for that I suppose. I would probably live there if I was worth a couple hundred million pounds.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salut0
Sea Shell has gone down in quality tremendously.

Much the best place is "Two Brothers Fish" in North London -- Finchley. Well worth the trek out there (the 82 bus goes past the restaurant).
That's a good tip, must try it out.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:41 pm

Inspired by this thread, I went to the Fryer's Delight this evening. While the chips were great, the fish had spent too long on the warming shelf and the batter was soggy. The fish for the couple sitting next to me was cooked to order and looked great. So my tip if visiting is to ask what fish they have ready, and then order something else. Cost to eat it: Cod & Chips and a glass of milk: £6.80.

So The Rock and Sole Plaice is still my favourite in central London - much more consistent in my experience. Will try North Sea soon...
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:02 am
Suspended

I went to the Narrow yesterday (the new Gordon Ramsay's Pub in Limehouse)

I ordered this dish which have a fancy name and I didn't expect it is jsut fish and chips (with peas). The chips are a bit average, but the fish is one fo the best deep fried batter fish I ever had! Nice and moist and the batter is jsut right and not too oily. The peas were delicious as well.
Old May 1, 2007, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (HTC TyTN: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) Opera 8.60 [en])

Yes, I didnt know about the fsh and chip place but have been meaning to go to his other place there. We have been to Cornwall or Devon three times since that opened and havent made i even though we have wanted to. Another reason to go back to Gidleigh Park. Not that i need a reason for that I suppose. I would probably live there if I was worth a couple hundred million pounds.

There are actually a couple of other places there in the Stien emporium, the famous Seafood restarant which IMHO is not great value for money- the food is good but not top wack which is what I expect when I pay the prices he charges. The bistro that he also runs is still rather dear but is much better value I think, simpler food but cooked well and a more relaxed atmosphere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.