Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London to Inverness train cancelled for January

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by Misco60
Yes; LNER is the only company that operates direct trains between Inverness and London.

You could also take an LNER or Scotrail train to Edinburgh and change there to an Avanti West Coast train to London, but there are few advantages to that unless the price is significantly lower. Much better to settle in to the train at Inverness and let it take you all the way.

To add to my previous point about first class vs. standard. Many, if not most, standard seats are airline-style, and not ideal for families or for gazing out of the window. In first class you are much more likely to have four seats arranged around a table (and, if there are more than 4 of you, another two seats facing each other across a table on the other side of the aisle).
Thanks again for your input. Our itinerary is not completely set yet. I might decide to depart from Edinburgh or Glasgow to London. Is the ride still scenic if we bypass the Cairngorms? Are the trains on LNER and Avanti West Coast pretty similar?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Thanks again for your input. Our itinerary is not completely set yet. I might decide to depart from Edinburgh or Glasgow to London. Is the ride still scenic if we bypass the Cairngorms? Are the trains on LNER and Avanti West Coast pretty similar?
I am only really familiar with the Avanti trains and route, since that is a journey I make at least once a month, but I think the trains and onboard service are similar.

Avanti trains take the so-called "west coast" route to London, whereas LNER takes the east coast. The west coast line is scenic through the Scottish lowlands, and again as it passes through the Lake District of England. After that, it's pretty uninteresting, though quite pleasant. I think the east coast route is scenic for a similar length of time, along the coasts of Scotland and Northumberland to Newcastle and York.

But don't get hung up on the scenic aspect: this isn't Switzerland, and you shouldn't raise your expectations. Just think of it as a nice way to travel, with something to look at out of the window.

I'd say that if you're starting in Edinburgh then LNER is probably the best, as it's faster, and if you're starting from Glasgow then Avanti is the one to choose. You can save a lot of money by buying Advance tickets, although they tie you to a specific train and there's a high penalty for changing them. And, as mentioned previously, a family railcard (or, perhaps, the Two Together railcard, depending on how old your family is) will save you 34% on train fares.
LAX/HKG likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OT I suppose, but Inverness is one of my favorite cities anywhere. Be sure to check out the local music scene at Hootenanny.
jamiel likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
What’s wrong with INV airport? Planning a family trip in UK this August and considering flying INV-LON vs the sleeper train.
It's not INV it's LHR, BRS and LGW!
expatboy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:30 am
Original Poster

If First Class fares are reasonable definitely do that with LNER.

Between London and Inverness you get at least two hot meals, plus desserts, snacks and free drinks (inc. alcohol!).

In fact between London and Edinburgh I was offered a third meal! Possibly because the train sector to Inverness had been cancelled

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 9, 2024 at 5:13 am
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:43 am
Original Poster

I'd also add that Avanti West Coast is a basket case at the moment, with multiple cancellations daily.

This is today, for trains leaving from now and tomorrow

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 8, 2024 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
That is at the very extreme end of unusual,
Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
That is at the very extreme end of unusual,
They've been like this for months
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Sealink
They've been like this for months
They have absolutely not been cancelling 61 services a day for months.

I agree there are a handful of cancellations most days.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
They have absolutely not been cancelling 61 services a day for months.

I agree there are a handful of cancellations most days.
I didn't say that it was daily, but I just logged in on the day I posted to show 61 cancellations (where I noted it was over two days not one).
Just logged in today, 12 cancellations as well as 5 this morning.

The point I was trying to make was probably lost, that AWC currently aren't reliable. If you are on holiday (as the OP was) the last thing you want is a cancelled train and a rush to the next one where seat reservations are lost etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.