Wiki Posts
Search

London to Inverness train cancelled for January

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2023, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
London to Inverness train cancelled for January

I am planning to head north in January, and the daily service from Kings Cross to Inverness (1200hrs) and southbound equivalent appears to be cancelled for the entire month of January.

According to Twitter/X/Whatever the route is "being evaluated". I assume this is due to potentially poor weather and LNER are protecting their core route.
It also means that a First Class fare is £321.70 as no Advance tickets have been released for trains which require connections.

The overnight Caledonian Sleeper is operating normally.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Sorry wrong thread. And indeed wrong forum
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by Sealink
Sorry wrong thread. And indeed wrong forum
I dunno, if you were looking for some help then there are a lot of people here who could offer suggestions. Although your post does read like more of a 'heads up' type statement rather than an ask.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Services re-instated
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I dunno, if you were looking for some help then there are a lot of people here who could offer suggestions. Although your post does read like more of a 'heads up' type statement rather than an ask.
Oh that edit was for a completely different post on a different subject
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Down to this

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/...-in-ja-336525/
Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Have booked KGX to INV.

The first class menu on that train was always "Dish" which is OK but has now been upgraded to the Dine menu. ❤️

For £50 above Standard Class, I think it's worth it for a non-ironing-board seat, 2 x 2 course meals and a free bar

EDIT: Although the booking engine shows a "Dine" menu, it is actually the slightly inferior "Dish" menu being served.

Last edited by Sealink; Jan 15, 2024 at 4:58 am
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are braver than I. That’s a long way in an Azuma, even in First. INV is one of those destinations where it’s the sleeper or plane for me.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
You are braver than I. That’s a long way in an Azuma, even in First. INV is one of those destinations where it’s the sleeper or plane for me.
I've done it before. I can't sleep on the sleeper and I am completely over the airport experience.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by Sealink
I've done it before. I can't sleep on the sleeper and I am completely over the airport experience.
What’s wrong with INV airport? Planning a family trip in UK this August and considering flying INV-LON vs the sleeper train.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
What’s wrong with INV airport? Planning a family trip in UK this August and considering flying INV-LON vs the sleeper train.
Nothing major wrong with INV that I'm aware of - there are airports with much worse reputations (e.g. MAN security, GLA baggage handling...). It is a small airport, the (recent) rail connection is a long walk/ short bus ride from the terminal. I haven't been there for a while, so will await Sealink 's commentary!
Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The sleeper train is a great way to travel between Inverness and London, but unless you're really pushed for time I'd recommend the daytime train. The scenery is great, and it will be a part of the holiday rather than simply a means of getting from A to B. I'd agree with a previous comment, though, that you should only do this if you can afford first class tickets, as it would be a brutal journey in Standard.

You should consider purchasing a Family Railcard prior to your trip: the card costs £30 (I think), and gives a one-third discount on train travel in the UK when travelling together as a family. It would undoubtedly pay for itself even if the only train journey you make is from Inverness to London.
LAX/HKG and farci like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
After dealing with the complexities of Heathrow, the INV experience is about as simple as can be. No jetways so you'll leave the plane by stairs, but retrieving luggage means only waiting for the plane you've just arrived on to be unloaded--it's unlikely that there would be another commercial flight arriving so close to another. The airport can feel a little crammed at times because it is so small. If renting a car, you exit the terminal and walk across several rows of the small parking lot to the rental car pickup area. There's little traffic near the airport so it's easy to get your bearings if you're driving on the other side of the road for the first time or for the first time in several years.

Reverse all of that on the return. The Courtyard by Marriott on the airport property is on the other side of the parking lot, making early morning departures a breeze. There's even a very small lounge, which for early morning flights out of INV, at least the two I've flown, is manned by the cheeriest fellow you're ever likely to meet working in an airline lounge.

The airports in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, and Glasgow are not particularly difficult to traverse, but I've started favoring INV for my Scottish trips.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by Misco60
The sleeper train is a great way to travel between Inverness and London, but unless you're really pushed for time I'd recommend the daytime train. The scenery is great, and it will be a part of the holiday rather than simply a means of getting from A to B. I'd agree with a previous comment, though, that you should only do this if you can afford first class tickets, as it would be a brutal journey in Standard.

You should consider purchasing a Family Railcard prior to your trip: the card costs £30 (I think), and gives a one-third discount on train travel in the UK when travelling together as a family. It would undoubtedly pay for itself even if the only train journey you make is from Inverness to London.
Thanks for the suggestion on a daytime train. I will definitely give it more consideration. Just to clarify you mean travel with the LNER train company, correct?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for the suggestion on a daytime train. I will definitely give it more consideration. Just to clarify you mean travel with the LNER train company, correct?
Yes; LNER is the only company that operates direct trains between Inverness and London.

You could also take an LNER or Scotrail train to Edinburgh and change there to an Avanti West Coast train to London, but there are few advantages to that unless the price is significantly lower. Much better to settle in to the train at Inverness and let it take you all the way.

To add to my previous point about first class vs. standard. Many, if not most, standard seats are airline-style, and not ideal for families or for gazing out of the window. In first class you are much more likely to have four seats arranged around a table (and, if there are more than 4 of you, another two seats facing each other across a table on the other side of the aisle).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.