Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Londontonians...please provide advice...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Londontonians...please provide advice...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
There is always the Tower of London which is more local. Also for a quick blast through all of the tourist sites, one of those hop on hop off tourist buses will give a quick fix to see most things.

We did Churchill War Rooms on Friday and with 3 of us with quite a lot of interest and reading mostly everything, we were about 2.5-3.0 hours down there. I suggest prebooking as you can walk past the "walk-ins". Westminster Abbey is over the road and about a 5 minute gentle walk from CWR and that is definitely worth a quick look if nothing else. You can get a "hidden" tour, and they take about an hour from memory. Near Tower Bridge is HMS Belfast which might be of interest too. I don't know if they have totally finished Big Ben yet but I do know the clock is now working and it wasn't about a month or so ago. Mentioned above, the Imperial War Museum is good too.
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

For those who might be considering multiple visits to London in a year and considering
HMS Belfast
Churchill war rooms
IWM Duxford ( near Cambridge)

then becoming a IWM member might make sense as each of the museums above are c £22-£25 per person and a membership is £60 for a year with unlimited visits. I paid for a membership last year and have visitied the museums plus Churchill War rooms 3 times.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
There is always the Tower of London which is more local. Also for a quick blast through all of the tourist sites, one of those hop on hop off tourist buses will give a quick fix to see most things.
The Tower is always good value. For an alternative experience, the OP might want to consider the Ceremony of the Keys. Needs to be booked, and is thus subject to availability, but it's not something that most people get to do.
lamphs and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:11 am
Original Poster

I wanted to thank each of the Londoners who responded. We stayed in Waterloo, Hampton by Hilton (I'll update that thread). He was able to easily see everything on the list generally via walking. And the direct train from Waterloo was useful. Now I'll have to go back, soon, and see the sites related to WWII as recommended above.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

As to Windsor why not? One of the largest castles in the world is a good enough reason to visit with all the history associated with it.

And to wonder why they built it under the LHR flightpath ...

Because maybe in 1070 or so when they began construction, they weren’t aware of the LHR flight path.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
Taking my nephew to Europe in June. One stop is London. I know little of London.

He'd like to see Windsor Castle, National Gallery, northern Westminster area, and Big Ben...in 3 full days.

What area/neighboorhood is best for this itinerary? Trying not to spend too much time with transportation given the compressed time frame.

Thanks in advance!
Cool beans. Glad all went well.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by dlffla
Because maybe in 1070 or so when they began construction, they weren’t aware of the LHR flight path.
Whoooooosh........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.