Finally cut the MAN cord

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally cut the MAN cord

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Finally cut the MAN cord

After a long series of crappy experiences at MAN and multiple online complaints that have gone unanswered I’ve cancelled three bookings ex-MAN and rebooked ex-BHX. The problems there are getting worse, not better, in every area from check in, through security, dated gates, supply of ground staff… the list goes on and on. The daily reports of chaos and what ultimately amounts to abuse of their own customers have spilled over from the local news sources to the national news to the point where it’s now prudent to consider departing from MAN a literal risk to my business travel.

The drive to BHX may be 15 minutes longer and significantly less scenic from South Yorkshire but that’s a small price to pay. Well done MAN management. I am literally gone for good.

(NB: If I don’t get a single response to this then FT is still providing as much feedback as MAN themselves )
Tocsin and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by roberino
After a long series of crappy experiences at MAN and multiple online complaints that have gone unanswered I’ve cancelled three bookings ex-MAN and rebooked ex-BHX. The problems there are getting worse, not better, in every area from check in, through security, dated gates, supply of ground staff… the list goes on and on. The daily reports of chaos and what ultimately amounts to abuse of their own customers have spilled over from the local news sources to the national news to the point where it’s now prudent to consider departing from MAN a literal risk to my business travel.

The drive to BHX may be 15 minutes longer and significantly less scenic from South Yorkshire but that’s a small price to pay. Well done MAN management. I am literally gone for good.

(NB: If I don’t get a single response to this then FT is still providing as much feedback as MAN themselves )
Arriving at MAN was pleasant, and baggage arrival and customs were quick.

Departing the witch in charge of security who insisted on confiscating every bit of gluten-free food I had packed for my kid, including crackers and suchlike, because I didn't have a letter stating the exact brands, sizes, flavors, etc, were medically necessary and signed by a UK doctor (we're Americans) was the nastiest security person I have ever encountered, and I regularly deal with the TSA.

Yes, I filed a complaint about her before we even boarded our flight, and no, MAN never answered.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

Departing the witch in charge of security who insisted on confiscating every bit of gluten-free food I had packed for my kid, including crackers and suchlike, because I didn't have a letter stating the exact brands, sizes, flavors, etc, were medically necessary and signed by a UK doctor (we're Americans) was the nastiest security person I have ever encountered, and I regularly deal with the TSA.

Yes, I filed a complaint about her before we even boarded our flight, and no, MAN never answered.
Weird...why did security care about crackers, with or without the gluten? I've not usually had a problem getting food through a security checkpoint, except for one disagreement with the TSA over whether mustard is a liquid. (I lost the debate and my mustard, but I stand by the fact that if your mustard is liquidy, it's gross mustard!)

I used to use BHX a couple times a year....loved the AA ORD-BHX service on the 767. Can't recall a bad experience there...I was usually picking up a rental car and driving to north and mid Wales, making it a convenient alternative to flying into LHR. The flight was a surprisingly easy mileage upgrade back in the day.

The only thing I know about MAN is that it seems like a ridiculously high percentage of intoxicated-passenger stories originate there. I've always wondered if there was some secret free beer location inside that airport. I can't imagine spending enough money to get truly wasted at any other British airport.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Weird...why did security care about crackers, with or without the gluten? I've not usually had a problem getting food through a security checkpoint, except for one disagreement with the TSA over whether mustard is a liquid.
When I protested about one thing she was stealing confiscating, she took ALL the food, and said if I didn't say I was "voluntarily surrendering" it, we wouldn't fly that day.

B.... on a power trip.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Weird...why did security care about crackers, with or without the gluten? I've not usually had a problem getting food through a security checkpoint, except for one disagreement with the TSA over whether mustard is a liquid. (I lost the debate and my mustard, but I stand by the fact that if your mustard is liquidy, it's gross mustard!)

I used to use BHX a couple times a year....loved the AA ORD-BHX service on the 767. Can't recall a bad experience there...I was usually picking up a rental car and driving to north and mid Wales, making it a convenient alternative to flying into LHR. The flight was a surprisingly easy mileage upgrade back in the day.

The only thing I know about MAN is that it seems like a ridiculously high percentage of intoxicated-passenger stories originate there. I've always wondered if there was some secret free beer location inside that airport. I can't imagine spending enough money to get truly wasted at any other British airport.
After going through security at MAN I can understand needing a half dozen stiff drinks.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:13 am
Original Poster

When I protested about one thing she was stealing confiscating, she took ALL the food, and said if I didn't say I was "voluntarily surrendering" it, we wouldn't fly that day.

B.... on a power trip.
I think I know of whom you speak. She at least fits the profile.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:24 am
Original Poster

I’ve had positive and negative experiences at arrivals. It’s of marginally less importance to me because I’ll just end up being home late instead of missing a connection or a meeting, however, no one enjoys a four hour wait with no water and minimal access to toilets. I’m also sick to death of untrained name tags insisting I go through the automated passport barriers when I make it clear they have a 100% failure rate for my passport/face. It adds another 15 minutes to my wait every time.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:34 am
Original Poster

BHX - big improvement

I am flying from BHX this morning. First day of Easter so I was expecting hell on earth. Admittedly the line for security was long but they had most security stations open and it only took 55 minutes to get through. Critically though, the staff were kind and patient with passengers that were panicking about missing their flights. I literally did not hear one raised voice. This is definitely a permanent change for me now.
CDTraveler and Schwann like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If the only difference is an extra 15 minutes driving, what's taken you so long to see the light?

I've departed from MAN twice ever and that was enough to learn my lesson! I wo​​​​n't fly from MAN again unless it happens to be 4 figures cheaper than the alternative.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
If the only difference is an extra 15 minutes driving, what's taken you so long to see the light?

I've departed from MAN twice ever and that was enough to learn my lesson! I wo​​​​n't fly from MAN again unless it happens to be 4 figures cheaper than the alternative.
A strong impulse to resist change, mainly.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!

I have to add that T2 at MAN is a lot better than T1, but that’s still like saying that being shot in the leg is better than being shot in the face.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: ua *s, kl se, asiana *g
Can anyone confirm if Manchester have suspended priority security? Reading some anecdotal suggestions they have on Twitter. Due to fly out of T2 on Thursday, EI in business. Really can’t afford to spend two hours queueing when I really need to be working….
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:38 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by swiss Julie
Can anyone confirm if Manchester have suspended priority security? Reading some anecdotal suggestions they have on Twitter. Due to fly out of T2 on Thursday, EI in business. Really can’t afford to spend two hours queueing when I really need to be working….
Fastrack is still available if in business class. What they've stopped is selling Fastrack, as too many people were buying it.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Pre pandemic, I was in the habit of using LPL whenever possible for flying short haul into Europe. Often just a bit more expensive when factoring the cost of an early morning taxi from Old Trafford for the outbound leg!
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Fastrack is still available if in business class. What they've stopped is selling Fastrack, as too many people were buying it.
....victims of their own success

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.