Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Londontonians...please provide advice...

Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Taking my nephew to Europe in June. One stop is London. I know little of London.

He'd like to see Windsor Castle, National Gallery, northern Westminster area, and Big Ben...in 3 full days.

What area/neighboorhood is best for this itinerary? Trying not to spend too much time with transportation given the compressed time frame.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:12 am

Hi Steve

So, the good news is that Westminster and National Gallery are very close to one another. Windsor, on the other hand, is outside of London. My recommendation would be to stay in the Waterloo area, so immediately south of the river. This is within walking distance from the various attraction you mention, and Great Western Railway serves Windsor and Eton Riverside from Waterloo. No changes required.

Bear in mind - there might be limits to what you can and can't visit; for instance, the Big Ben can be seen only from the outside as far as I know.
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also Windsor castle need to be prebooked at the current time . currently closed on Tue/Wed and 12-13 june. It may be popular ( especially with the platinum jubillee this year ( we get 2 bank holidays on Thr/Fri for 4 day weekend at the start of June) so I might not leave it to the last minute to book

https://www.rct.uk/visit/windsor-castle

Regards

TBS
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 18, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:26 am

Ah, good point TBS. Almost everything, these days, requires booking. Even the free admission to the British Museum requires it.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I wonder if prebooking is here to stay.I suppose it helps the institution manage capacity but it does limit your freedom a bit (ie need to plan for the popular attractions)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Westminster, Big Ben, National Gallery is easy to do in a day. Why does he want to do Windsor Castle?
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I wonder if prebooking is here to stay.I suppose it helps the institution manage capacity but it does limit your freedom a bit (ie need to plan for the popular attractions)
For attractions which are free, I wonder how many people just make multiple bookings to retain flexibility - I do.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As a Londontonian, I don’t see Windsor as London.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Are the WW2 War rooms worth the detour? What would be a typical time commitment for it?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK for first time visitor to London.
https://www.bigbustours.com/en/londo...op-off-london/
https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/london-bus-tours
https://city-sightseeing.com/en/95/london
https://city-sightseeing.com/en/95/l...hop-off-london

Buck House changing the guards is also popular
https://changing-guard.com/changing-...am-palace.html
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:51 pm

I highly recommend the Imperial War Museum and the RAF museum. The Churchill War rooms are a must see as well.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta
There are free tours of Big Ben, but I know it’s in the process of being restored now (so no tours). I’m not sure if the restoration work is supposed to done by June or not.
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
Hi Steve

So, the good news is that Westminster and National Gallery are very close to one another. Windsor, on the other hand, is outside of London. My recommendation would be to stay in the Waterloo area, so immediately south of the river. This is within walking distance from the various attraction you mention, and Great Western Railway serves Windsor and Eton Riverside from Waterloo. No changes required.

Bear in mind - there might be limits to what you can and can't visit; for instance, the Big Ben can be seen only from the outside as far as I know.
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Also Windsor castle need to be prebooked at the current time . currently closed on Tue/Wed and 12-13 june. It may be popular ( especially with the platinum jubillee this year ( we get 2 bank holidays on Thr/Fri for 4 day weekend at the start of June) so I might not leave it to the last minute to book

https://www.rct.uk/visit/windsor-castle

Regards

TBS
Originally Posted by 13901
Ah, good point TBS. Almost everything, these days, requires booking. Even the free admission to the British Museum requires it.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Westminster, Big Ben, National Gallery is easy to do in a day. Why does he want to do Windsor Castle?
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As a Londontonian, I don’t see Windsor as London.
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I highly recommend the Imperial War Museum and the RAF museum. The Churchill War rooms are a must see as well.
Originally Posted by CowGirlMoo
There are free tours of Big Ben, but I know it’s in the process of being restored now (so no tours). I’m not sure if the restoration work is supposed to done by June or not.
Thanks to each of you for the information! UK will be country #58 for me although I'll transited LHR or LGW many times!

Not sure why he wants to go to Windsor (and I see now it is not London), but this is his first international trip and I want him to plan most of it for the experience.

As for Londontonians, I know it is not a real word; just equating it to Washingtonians. I hope I didn't insult anyone. Is there a proper term to better describe those living in the London area?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Londoners is the accepted name

As to Windsor why not? One of the largest castles in the world is a good enough reason to visit with all the history associated with it.

And to wonder why they built it under the LHR flightpath ...

How old is he? There is all sorts of stuff that's not on the usual tourist path that he might find interesting - what's he interested in?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I'm interested to know what he wants to see in "north Westminster." I kind of feel this might be a look at Camden? Otherwise - Euston Station, Madame Tussaud, Wellcome Collection?

Anyway, Windsor is a day trip so for 3 days, take that as a day. National Gallery and Big Ben easy on the same day (you can see Big Ben from the steps of the National Gallery). You can't generally enter big Ben, so it's a 10 minute visit.

So think you have two days in central London.
lamphs likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.