Vaccine passports for UK citizens for international travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2021, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So where we are now is that we have
A) the NHS App right now (and some GP Apps),
B) the possitbility of reconfiguring that App quickly for travel purposes,
C) GP letters
D) The vaccination card already handed out.

1) Must be submitted in Icelandic, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, English, or French. A certificate in another language may be valid if submitted along with a translation in one of the approved languages and verified by a certified translator.
No problem for A - D.

2) First name and last name (comparable to travel documentation).
No problem for A - D.

3) Date of birth.
A, B C.

4) Nationality
Why is that relevant? Anyway B and perhaps C, if GPs are spoon fed a suggested text such as "Patient A, holding UK passport 123456". GPs tend to be a bit hesitant in this space.

5) Passport number.
B and C Overlaps with 4 in practical terms and you could make the argument that a passport plus A meets points 4 and 5.

6) Name of the vaccinated disease (COVID-19).
No problem A to D.

7) When the vaccinations took place (dates)
No problem A to D.

8) Vaccination must be completed; see below for the number of doses required to complete the vaccination for each vaccine.Information on the issuer of the certificate (Healthcare Professional/Institution), along with a signature in the case of an international vaccination certificate.
No problem A to D, however the signature would be electronic for A and B, D has no signature.

9) Name of the vaccine.
No problem A to D.

10) Manufacturer of vaccine and
No problem A to D.

11) batch number.
It is on D, and recorded in the care records, but doesn't currently show in A. But presumably this could be addressed via B, and could be addressed via C.

So in summary, and leaving out signatures, a Brit going to Iceland with the NHS App, a passport and the vaccination card would have the information now, but scattered over 3 documents. The passport has to be deployed for UK travellers (which isn't obviously needed for Schengen and Nordic travellers). The question is whether Iceland would be OK with the scattered approach. I suspect they will eventually. If not then B has a bit of work to do, and C is the messy fallback.
You sir are a treasure. I'd maybe add a point E to your list, the WHO booklet.

The one teeny tiny bit that concerns me is that the whole covid.is website is plastered with notices saying that they only accept EEA/EFTA-issued documentation. The UK isn't in either organisation... part of me wants to test this out whenever there's a chance and I'm vaccinated (UK vaccine, EU national with 2 nationalities, resident in the UK) just to see how it'd turn out!
DaveS likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I really would like IATA and WHO to wade in here. Timatic would be perfect.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 3:57 am

On my Immunisation record on the NHS App it does not say which vaccine I had e.g. AZ and its much briefer than yours no quantities administered, whereas in noticed in your first post cws that yours did, will this matter in the context of the above post? How can I get this changed, maybe when I get the 2nd jab if it matters?

Last edited by paulaf; Mar 17, 2021 at 4:05 am
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paulaf
On my Immunisation record on the NHS App it does not say which vaccine I had e.g. AZ and its much briefer than yours no quantities administered, whereas in noticed in your first post cws that yours did, will this matter in the context of the above post? How can I get this changed, maybe when I get the 2nd jab if it matters?
I don't think it does matter just now, well, unless perhaps you have a pressing need to go to Iceland. The sorts of places you are interested in,such as Cyprus, Portugal, Spain, Greece, will almost certainly take whatever proof you have, including, I suspect that little card they gave you on Saturday.
paulaf likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:31 am

I don't think it does matter just now, well, unless perhaps you have a pressing need to go to Iceland. The sorts of places you are interested in,such as Cyprus, Portugal, Spain, Greece, will almost certainly take whatever proof you have, including, I suspect that little card they gave you on Saturday.
As I see it though it's not a complete record, what does your bible say it should say? Yes we have the cards. I might ask our surgery to amend it in due course. Interested to hear what others people's records show.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have an Android, it is there, it is hard to find though, mine tells me what I had and what dosage. On mine I went to GP Health Record, Medicines, Acute Short Term medicines, and it is in there.
paulaf likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If you have an Android, it is there, it is hard to find though, mine tells me what I had and what dosage. On mine I went to GP Health Record, Medicines, Acute Short Term medicines, and it is in there.
Yes I have found it thanks on mine its in "Immunisations" but omits dosage and what vaccine was given, just says its for Covid and the date. Its like saying you were given a drug for a headache but not which one - not very helpful for a doctor looking at it later.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As I see it though it's not a complete record, what does your bible say it should say? Yes we have the cards. I might ask our surgery to amend it in due course. Interested to hear what others people's records show.
If you had your coded records released, it should be under Consultations and Events as per post 1. Immunisations is non coded so would show less information. It may be it needs a little longer, it may be your surgery has a backlog of vaccines to update.
paulaf likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:49 am

If you had your coded records released, it should be under Consultations and Events as per post 1. Immunisations is non coded so would show less information. It may be it needs a little longer, it may be your surgery has a backlog of vaccines to update.
Had another look as suggested and its fully listed in Acute short term medicines, silly me looking in the logical place of Immunisations, panic over, thanks both.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I have found it thanks on mine its in "Immunisations" but omits dosage and what vaccine was given, just says its for Covid and the date. Its like saying you were given a drug for a headache but not which one - not very helpful for a doctor looking at it later.

I hope you can see that ok ! No clue how to make it smaller !
paulaf and DaveS like this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had another look as suggested and its fully listed in Acute short term medicines, silly me looking in the logical place of Immunisations, panic over, thanks both.
Aha! See, you are my wife and didn't read my text! I claim my £5 !
Old Mar 17, 2021, 7:36 am

So it was really worth waiting for the speech today about the Digital Green Certificates, no details at all, from Sky News:

"The EU has released more details of it Digital Green Certificates travel plan.Here's a summary:
  • The certificate will offer proof that a person has been vaccinated, received a negative test result or recovered from COVID-19
  • It will be available, free of charge, in digital or paper format
  • It will be valid in all EU member states and open for Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway as well as Switzerland
  • The scheme will be suspended once the World Health Organisation (WHO) declares the end of the pandemic
  • It is unclear at this stage whether or at what stage UK citizens may be able to apply for a certificate, but EU guidance says they "should also be issued to non-EU nationals who reside in the EU and to visitors who have the right to travel to other member states"
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh we are on the naughty step with the EU so I wouldn't expect much at this stage.
LETTERBOY, paulaf and Geordie405 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Oh we are on the naughty step with the EU so I wouldn't expect much at this stage.
Why should the EU include, or even consider, the UK when making plans? The UK is no longer a member, and this is just one of the many consequences of leaving.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
Why should the EU include, or even consider, the UK when making plans? The UK is no longer a member, and this is just one of the many consequences of leaving.
technically they don’t have to as you note.

however as near neighbours I would want the Uk to look at ways of enabling eu citizens to travel to the Uk perhaps by recognising their green card system, and as part of that some reciprocal travel arrangement would be reasonable.
Silver Fox, alex67500, :D! and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.