Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

United Kingdom Exceptional Regulatory Charge (R1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Kingdom Exceptional Regulatory Charge (R1)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Freddorick

Generally, I think monopolies should be regulated in some way.

Finally, this levy is great news for LGW. I would expect BA to move leisure and lower yielding routes there as a reaction to this.
this and this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
So basically LHR is taking revenue from BA assuming that BA does not have sufficient pricing power to pass the 8.90 to consumers..
1. This applies to ALL airlines at LHR not just BA.

2. Airlines - including BA - have already included it in their fares as a specific line in the 'taxes, fees and surcharges' section of the fare breakdown. They are already passing it on to passengers

3. It was the airlines who wanted the fee dealt with in this particular way as a charge to passengers rather than via airline charges.

Generally, I think monopolies should be regulated in some way. This holds especially if they operate
in an area with lots of political involvement. It seems ironic that the government has to lend BA money to
survive which is then partially siphoned into the pockets of the shareholders of LHR.
1. Airports are regulated in the UK by the CAA. It was UK regulators that insisted that BAA (as was) sold off Gatwick and other airports so there would be competion.

2. Government HAS NOT lent BA any money. It has guarenteed loans from private banks but that is not the same as a direct loan and they would be reimbursing the banks not BA if BA failed to repay the loans.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 9, 2021 at 6:32 am
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It seems to be levied by other airlines at LHR, not just BA. LH from LHR-FRA includes the charge. So its really not clear which airlines are requesting or receiving the additional revenue from this charge.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:16 am

Good points.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
1. This applies to ALL airlines at LHR not just BA.
Agreed, but it affects airlines differently. BA doesnt just compete on LHR-XXX but also with, for example, AF on ZRH-JFK, or U2 on LON-GLA.

2. Airlines - including BA - have already included it in their fares as a specific line in the 'taxes, fees and surcharges' section of the fare breakdown. They are already passing it on to passengers
Yes but in competitive markets they will have to lower the basefare or YQ. People care about the total price not the taxes and fees. In less competitive markets they will pass this on to the passenger.

3. It was the airlines who wanted the fee dealt with in this particular way as a charge to passengers rather than via airline charges.
Im sure airlines would have preferred for the fee not to be charged at all. I also dont know if I would assign any weight to the LHR press release that airlines wanted it this way. Reminds me of Lufthansa cutting free catering in Euro economy due to customers demanding this change...

1. Airports are regulated in the UK by the CAA. It was UK regulators that insisted that BAA (as was) sold off Gatwick and other airports so there would be competition.
Regulation is always tricky. BA certainly carries a certain responsibility too. Nobody forced them to focus so heavily on one hub.

2. Government HAS NOT lent BA any money. It has guarenteed loans from private banks but that is not the same as a direct loan and they would be reimbursing the banks not BA if BA failed to repay the loans.
Hm, but surely you are subsidising a business if you guarantee with tax payer money? What is the rate BA is paying vs the market rate they would have payed without guarantee? I dont know how the deal was actually structured. Maybe no actual money might have moved, but the state likely took some risk.
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Governments almost NEVER hand out money directly to businesses, they are simply not set up to do so (don't have the staff, don't have the IT). It is virtually always done via a guarantee of a loan provided by a commercial bank.

It IS the same as a direct loan if the Government guarantee is 100%.

To be fair, the loan given to BA is on export credit terms and is probably only 80% guaranteed.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Whenever an airport is built or expands they normally have a plan on how everything is paid for. The LHR concept rotates around charging the airlines and the shops for the cost of operating the terminal. Obviously in the pandemic this is not working... I wonder if they reduced the rent they charge the shops at LHR. Either way the customer pays for flying from LHR (or any other airport for that matter) sadly I think that this charge will stay so you get to navigate the mall that is LHR and pay for the pleasure
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
If it’s to pay for airport improvements or RW3, not a problem. I remember many years ago (1994) having to pay CDN$10 tax to fly out of Vancouver, when I asked what it was for, I was told it was to raise money for a new terminal. I’ve never been back to Vancouver (would like to go again at some point) but I hope they got a nice new terminal building.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
It seems to be levied by other airlines at LHR, not just BA. LH from LHR-FRA includes the charge. So it’s really not clear which airlines are requesting or receiving the additional revenue from this charge.
No airlines are receiving any revenue from this charge, the money goes to HAL.

The specifics appear to be encapsulated in this PDF document which includes the phrase

The Airport Cost Recovery Charge is the charging mechanism agreed between Heathrow and the airlines by which Heathrow will fully recover the under-recovery from 2020 and specific 2021 costs for certain ORCs as outlined below
and sets the charge at 8.90 per departing passenger. Inbound sectors do not incur the charge.

Not having read through reams of Heathrow pricing notices I cannot be certain how this works exactly, but it seems that cost for Baggage systems, Electrical Ground Power to aircraft on stand, buggies and wheelchairs etc. for passengers requiring support and assorted other items are a combination of two elements - a per unit cost that is calculated and billed to the airlines monthly in arrears, and so-called 'annuities and allocated costs' which are a share of the overall budgeted operating costs apportioned at the start of the year based upon expected volumes. This new charge would appear to be a way of rolling up the 'annuities and allocated costs' portion of baggage, power, passenger assistance etc. into a single amount separate from the per-unit costs, but would also seem, per the text, to include an element related to the under-recovery of certain of these costs in 2020, and Covid is explicitly stated as (a) reason for this at certain points in the narrative.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is an outgrowth of funding services essential to the operation of the economy through other than general tax revenue. No matter how one slices the costs of operating the airport, if it is not funded by general tax revenues, it is then funded through user fees. Whether those are imposed on the end user, e.g., passenger or service provider, e.g. air carrier (BA in this case) is a matter of how the total price is broken down, not the total price.

Putting aside the pandemic and its impact on passenger traffic, recent history suggests that government-imposed taxes do not appreciably impact total revenue because higher PRASM fare buckets are less affected and those are what make a profit.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
And it's worth noting that Heathrow (HAL) has asked for its regulatory asset base (RAB) to be adjusted upwards by 1.8 billion. This would ratchet up the RAB from 2022, the start of the next regulatory period.

RAB is one of the keys to calculating the aeronautical revenue the regulator allows HAL to collect, so that the 2022 increase would impact not only 2022 charges, but also those of subsequent years.

The other key in price regulation is the agreed forecast of passengers, and the dramatic adjustment downwards on these forecasts exacerbate an upwards swing in 2022 passenger charges at LHR.

CAA seems somewhat adither about how to approach the price review: the introduction of "R1", the subject of this thread, is largely in the territory of a targeted intervention prior to further intervention in the price review.

CAP 2098 explains it all. Maybe it's a bit dense, and there's lots of hand-wringing, but the initial summary paints the wider picture.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33...0(CAP2098).pdf

Last edited by IAN-UK; Feb 11, 2021 at 11:05 am
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:24 am

I emailed the CAA about this, and had a rather frustrating back and forth - they clearly don't want to get involved.
This is not a tax, it relates to Heathrow’s other regulated charges, and is outside the remit of the CAA. As the value of the charge is subject to a commercial agreement between Heathrow and the airlines that use the airport, we suggest your refer you query to Heathrow in the first instance.
To which I replied with this...
You mentioned that this is not a tax, but both British Airways and Swiss (for example), are categorising it as such.
Are you saying it should not come under the “tax” section of an airline ticket and should come under the “airline imposed surcharges” section, along with items like the fuel surcharge?
Are you also saying that this tax not regulated by yourselves?
If it is not regulated by yourselves, what is to stop Heathrow doubling or tripling this to make up for a reduced income from the PSC?
They came back with an even briefer reply this time...
Taxes can only be imposed by the government, this is a charge that Heathrow is placing on all departing passengers. I understand they have a statement on this and a document on their website that goes into some detail about the charge. I think it is more appropriate that you speak to them.
Make of that what you will.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
This charge has always been levied (on airlines) by Heathrow, so is not new - it's just that the charge has increased in 2021 to cover a higher cost incurred per passenger in 2020. The airlines have chosen to pass this cost on to passengers as a separate component of the ticket cost.
Old May 2, 2021, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Just noticed on ITA matrix that this charge seems to no longer be collected from Jan 2022 onwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.