Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Transiting thru LHR

Transiting thru LHR

Old Apr 4, 21, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Transiting thru LHR

I am a bit confused and could someone set me straight.

1) I have tickets booked for my family thru LHR onward to BOM in the summer. I keep getting notices for restrictions at LHR and entering UK. Since I am not entering the UK, can I just infinite those restrictions? My family will carry the negative test reports for India anyway in case they have to show them again at LHR.

2) As a second option, I have tickets booked thru LHR to IST. Same notices.

My thinking is that being a transit passenger, the most I would be required to do is fill some paperwork for my ultimate destination and show the test paperwork to whoever asks for it. I will deal with the formalities of final destination as I need to.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 4, 21, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
I am a bit confused and could someone set me straight.

1) I have tickets booked for my family thru LHR onward to BOM in the summer. I keep getting notices for restrictions at LHR and entering UK. Since I am not entering the UK, can I just infinite those restrictions? My family will carry the negative test reports for India anyway in case they have to show them again at LHR.

2) As a second option, I have tickets booked thru LHR to IST. Same notices.

My thinking is that being a transit passenger, the most I would be required to do is fill some paperwork for my ultimate destination and show the test paperwork to whoever asks for it. I will deal with the formalities of final destination as I need to.

Thanks for the advice.
Hi,

You will need the negative covid-test for the flight to the UK ( plus the requirements for BOM) but apart from that being in transit exempts you from the requirements for entering the UK.

Regards

TBS
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 4, 21, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Also assuming that these journeys are on one ticket with no need to collect luggage and recheck in at LHR. If separate tickets then you do need to adhere to requirements and restrictions on entering the UK​. And budget for several hours delay to enter the UK border.
Old Apr 5, 21, 1:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes just to add, if this is an airside same day connection with no need to go landside and/or collect bags, you will need only the pre arrival negative test and to fill in the PLF.
Old Apr 5, 21, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Journey is all in one ticket and no need to collect bags and recheck.
Old Apr 5, 21, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Journey is all in one ticket and no need to collect bags and recheck.
Just to be absolutely certain -- And, also an airside transit?
Old Apr 7, 21, 2:18 am

LHR airside / same day transit - two tickets (T2)

Hi forum -

is there any new experience / update with regard to LHR "airside" transit.

I am booked on two separate tickets to transit in LHR (same day / airside = no checked luggage). Arrival / departure on both flights with Swiss (T2). Onward connection in ZHR to JNB/DAR.

Based on current into, I require a proof of covid test + fill the passenger locator form.

Any concerns getting the boarding pass for the connecting flight? My routing GVA-LHR then LHR-ZHR-JNB-DAR. All flights on Swiss all the way to JNB.

Does Swiss check-thru luggage (on two Swiss tickets)?

Thx!
Old Apr 7, 21, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Genevaflyer2017 View Post
Hi forum -

I am booked on two separate tickets to transit in LHR (same day / airside = no checked luggage). Arrival / departure on both flights with Swiss (T2). Onward connection in ZHR to JNB/DAR.

Based on current into, I require a proof of covid test + fill the passenger locator form.

Any concerns getting the boarding pass for the connecting flight? My routing GVA-LHR then LHR-ZHR-JNB-DAR. All flights on Swiss all the way to JNB.

Thx!
I doubt LX will check through on two separate tickets, but otherwise you should be admissible into the UK, so you won't be denied boarding in GVA. Whether there will be any entry restrictions at the far end given that you will have been in the UK is another matter. With luggage you can't stay airside.
Old Apr 7, 21, 8:05 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Genevaflyer2017 View Post
Hi forum -

Thx!
If you miss the flight departing LHR for any reason, Swiss will not be responsible because you don't have a connection (you do have what FTers call a self-connect), and it won't be protected.
Old Apr 7, 21, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You run the likelihood that LX at GVA will not check you in unless you meet entry requirements for the UK. No way to predict what will happen until check in and thus, you must presume that you will be denied boarding.

Additionally, what is your Plan B in the event that your xLHR flight is cancelled. You then face forcible return to Switzerland (presuming that you were permitted to board in the first place).

Separate tickets are a bad idea during the pandemic.
Old Apr 7, 21, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Just to be absolutely certain -- And, also an airside transit?
I am pretty sure... arrive into LHR on AA from the USA and connecting to BOM on BA.
Old Apr 12, 21, 2:22 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, BA Silver
A few misconceptions in this thread vs official advice.

A landside transit, even if it involves changing ports (i.e LHR to LGW) is permitted. As long as you can prove that you have onward travel, I doubt there will be an issue (link to official gov.uk site). This would include having separate tickets.

I've travelled to the UK a few times since March 2020 and not once have I been asked to show a passenger locator form at check in. As long you have proof of a test (which you need) then I doubt you (anyone) would have an issue. Besides, if someone forgets to buy the tests/fill out the form, they can still do it in a corner at border control (vs. a pre-departure test).
Old Apr 12, 21, 2:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA View Post
I've travelled to the UK a few times since March 2020 and not once have I been asked to show a passenger locator form at check in. As long you have proof of a test (which you need) then I doubt you (anyone) would have an issue. Besides, if someone forgets to buy the tests/fill out the form, they can still do it in a corner at border control (vs. a pre-departure test).
I am afraid that whether it is checked or not, you are required to have completed a PLF for arrival in to the UK, and that included transit through the UK even if you are staying airside. There is no ambiguity around this requirement.

It is advisable just to do it before arrival rather than waiting to be asked and having to do it there and then when you arrive.

I agree airside and landside transits should be fine. If staying less than 2 days you only need do the PLF and have the negative pre-arrival test now, the day 2&8 test package is no longer needed.
PUCCI GALORE and CarefreeBA like this.
Old Apr 19, 21, 5:52 am

Programs: AA CK
Wanted to leverage this thread for another question on UK transit. I'm supposed to fly BA as follows in July: USA-LHR-South Africa (and the return). At present, SA is on the UK ban list, so BA isn't flying.

Any odds that this changes in the next couple months? I see that BA is scheduled to start flying to Johannesburg on June 1, but of course that's subject to change.

I'm trying to switch to Qatar Airways flights through Doha, although times/costs are not as good.

Any thoughts on whether it's most logical to move to Qatar to (hopefully) take some of the risk out? Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 21, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Itís all speculation but I think direct flights to SA are highly unlikely to start in that timeframe. The U.K. Govt is super worried about the SA variant. There have been repeated surge tests done in areas where cases have been noted and opening up direct flights a couple of months after this would look perverse.

As ever in these times, if you have to travel, can you go direct? Failing that QR seem to fly on regardless so would be a decent fallback.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: