Search
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PxC
Thankfully in 95% fine, like last time, with just a small cold blended with a hangover.
My commiserations, it's not something you want on a break, but you're doing the right thing separating yourself from others. There is bound to be someone vulnerable in your circle who could have a more serious medical emergency. If you are sitting in the sun - which may help with a fast recovery, you'll need more liquids to replace the body's natural reaction to that. I would need a second photo 2 or 3 days to be more sure, but that looks quite a strong line to me, and suggests you may already be past the peak of infection. I would guess you could be clear about Thursday given the symptoms and line. I would test again on Tuesday or Wednesday if you can. Is this your first infection as far as you know?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:34 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My commiserations, it's not something you want on a break, but you're doing the right thing separating yourself from others. There is bound to be someone vulnerable in your circle who could have a more serious medical emergency. If you are sitting in the sun - which may help with a fast recovery, you'll need more liquids to replace the body's natural reaction to that. I would need a second photo 2 or 3 days to be more sure, but that looks quite a strong line to me, and suggests you may already be past the peak of infection. I would guess you could be clear about Thursday given the symptoms and line. I would test again on Tuesday or Wednesday if you can. Is this your first infection as far as you know?
Thanks CWS. Second infection, the last was a year ago almost exactly, with a very mild cough the only issue.

What day do you think it would be acceptable to go out again if I were to test negative?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PxC
What day do you think it would be acceptable to go out again if I were to test negative?
The day you test negative. There was a thing in the UK where you had to wait for 2 negative results, but frankly with BA.2 and BA.5, once you test negative you won't be a big risk to anyone else. These variants are very front-loaded and so you are already probably past peak infection risk. It would make sense to maintain a distance from others as much as possible for a day or two longer. Being a second infection typically speeds up recovery by a day.
DaveS and PxC like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:12 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I got my second booster a couple of hours ago. After 3 BioNtech shots, I got Moderna (they actually offered me a choice). We will see if it is stronger as it seems to be the experience for a bit of people. I had no side effect whatsoever on my first booster so ... Still planning an easy evening today.
I think timing wise this is quite good, specially as I have vacations next week involving a fair bit of train travel and after that a week heavy with meetings at work with a large group of people outside of my normal circle.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Anyone seen this study?

Each SARS-CoV-2 reinfection causes more severe disease

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...e-disease.aspx

Not peer reviewed yet
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ringingup
Anyone seen this study?

Each SARS-CoV-2 reinfection causes more severe disease

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...e-disease.aspx

Not peer reviewed yet
Figure 5 is the clearer one in this link.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/a-reinfection-red-flag
Internaut and ringingup like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Some England data. Daily cases are hovering around the 15,000 mark which is up from 12,000 last week. Daily deaths are now averaging over 50 which is up from a low of just below 40 two weeks ago. Patient admissions are now about 1,200 per day, up by 38% from the previous week. Patients in hospital is now 8,120 which is double the number at the start of the month. Patients in ventilation beds is now 205, up from about 120 at the start of the month. That is still quite low and is similar to where we were this time last year.

The R value has now jumped to 1.1-1.4 from 0.8.

HMG will only provide weekly updates after the end of the month, in line with the Government's Living with COVID strategy.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:16 am
PxC

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The day you test negative. There was a thing in the UK where you had to wait for 2 negative results, but frankly with BA.2 and BA.5, once you test negative you won't be a big risk to anyone else. These variants are very front-loaded and so you are already probably past peak infection risk. It would make sense to maintain a distance from others as much as possible for a day or two longer. Being a second infection typically speeds up recovery by a day.
How long should I leave it if I continue to test positive? The US CDC recommends… “People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 daysand if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter.”

My line is still thick, yet I feel fine (aside from a few cold symptoms and a bit of the runs last night), I first tested positive Sunday and you can probably add a couple days more on to the start date if you consider the mild symptoms. I’m hearing about friends testing positive for 10-14 days which is concerning given where I am. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by PxC; Jun 29, 2022 at 11:35 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:48 pm

My second infection went as follows:
Day 0: symptoms, but testing negative
Day 1: symptoms, positive
Day 2-3: symptoms going away, haven't tested
Day 4: symptoms basically gone, positive
Day 6: symptoms totally gone, faint positive line
Day 7: negative

Hopefully you won't be testing + for long, PxC.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:12 pm
PxC

Originally Posted by 13901
My second infection went as follows:
Day 0: symptoms, but testing negative
Day 1: symptoms, positive
Day 2-3: symptoms going away, haven't tested
Day 4: symptoms basically gone, positive
Day 6: symptoms totally gone, faint positive line
Day 7: negative

Hopefully you won't be testing + for long, PxC.
Tests are expensive here so if I do go out tomorrow, I don’t think il test again, not sure there’s much need at that point.
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by PxC
Tests are expensive here so if I do go out tomorrow, I don’t think il test again, not sure there’s much need at that point.
Oh gosh yes. Best to take a stock of tests with you from London, where they are under £2 each (and a mere Euro or so in many parts of Europe). Boots have them in T5, hidden by the sweets before the till, at £9 for 5 tests. My best guess, on that second photo, is Saturday you will be clear, Sunday if unlucky, Friday if lucky. And yes, I wouldn't test again until at least Friday.
DaveS, PxC and 13901 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Article in the Guardian by a certain notorious former health secretary, suggesting there will be no return to restrictions (which I would tend to agree with).

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-matt-hancock
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by nk15
Figure 5 is the clearer one in this link.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/a-reinfection-red-flag
Is this being played out in the current (now weekly) statistics?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Today's weekly data from the ONS survey. In the week ending 24th June 2022:

One in 30 people in England had Covid (last week one in 40)
One in 30 in Wales had Covid (last week one in 45)
One in 25 in Northern Ireland had Covid (up from one in 30)
One in 18 in Scotland had Covid (up from one in 20)
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Has anyone else managed to dodge covid? I still can't believe I haven't had it given my getting on with things since late 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.