Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Time is of the essence, we can spend all day making excuses and deflecting, or we can spend every minute trying to get the next injection into someone. So in a sense there is no point having a squabble about this, if that is what the President is trying to do, she would be better employed doing whatever it takes to get AZ vaccines out of refrigerated warehouses in Rungis and into Europe's citizens.
The bottom line of UVdL’s comment (and we’ve built quite the castle on that one liner, I must admit) is indeed to find ways to provide vaccines to Europe. And we can point out at inefficiencies as much as we like, but I doubt that AZ is 60% off the target because they can’t sign the boxes out the warehouse fast enough.

We act all outraged about the EU threatening to stop vaccines but... if the tables were turned and the UK exported 9m vaccines yo, say, Italy while their national programme was 10m short, would our press, our politicians behave any differently?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
The bottom line of UVdL’s comment (and we’ve built quite the castle on that one liner, I must admit) is indeed to find ways to provide vaccines to Europe. And we can point out at inefficiencies as much as we like, but I doubt that AZ is 60% off the target because they can’t sign the boxes out the warehouse fast enough.
with all due respect this isn’t just one line. It is multiple examples of things said and done since the start of the year all along this same theme, and also false information from the commission such as claiming the UK and US had export bans on vaccines to justify their own actions, claims subsequently retracted.

We act all outraged about the EU threatening to stop vaccines but... if the tables were turned and the UK exported 9m vaccines yo, say, Italy while their national programme was 10m short, would our press, our politicians behave any differently?
And if that had occurred you would agree it would be unacceptable - just as it is when the EU threatens to do it, and actually does it in the case of Italy.
Silver Fox and alex67500 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And threatening to do it to a country that has one of the worst death rates is low, very low.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
false information from the commission such as claiming the UK and US had export bans on vaccines to justify their own actions, claims subsequently retracted.

Though not exactly a ban, this provision (copied from the Guardian) smells a lot like one...

The UK did ensure that vaccine doses produced by Oxford/AstraZeneca at the sites in Staffordshire and Oxford were directed in the first instance to residents in Britain.

The EU has since been angered by the refusal of the Anglo-Swedish firm to redirect doses in light of production shortfalls from European facilities. The company has in response pointed to its policy of having dedicated and largely separate supply chains for the UK and the EU.
And if that had occurred you would agree it would be unacceptable - just as it is when the EU threatens to do it, and actually does it in the case of Italy.
Would it? Imagine the UK was in the EU's position. Imagine having pharma companies failing to deliver badly (see the numbers above) while, at the same time, exporting 34m doses abroad. Do you really think anyone - The Sun, The Daily Mail, Boris' backbenchers, Boris himself - will consider stopping exports to be unacceptable?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:44 am

Would it? Imagine the UK was in the EU's position. Imagine having pharma companies failing to deliver badly (see the numbers above) while, at the same time, exporting 34m doses abroad. Do you really think anyone - The Sun, The Daily Mail, Boris' backbenchers, Boris himself - will consider stopping exports to be unacceptable?
Well I think that relates to two questions:

1. do you think drug companies are deliberately short supplying the EU in order to ensure supplies to other countries?

2. would you think that stopping exports is acceptable - bearing in mind you can’t just use vaccine made for another country for your own consumption? The vaccine made for Australia and stopped by the Italians is in fact of no use to them whatsover.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:52 am

Well I think that relates to two questions:

1. do you think drug companies are deliberately short supplying the EU in order to ensure supplies to other countries?

2. would you think that stopping exports is acceptable - bearing in mind you can’t just use vaccine made for another country for your own consumption? The vaccine made for Australia and stopped by the Italians is in fact of no use to them whatsover.
Hang on; before we go into this rabbit hole, which I'm sure will be moderated into oblivion, my point in the original reply to C-W-S was to say that UvdL is trying to do what the EC needs to do, i.e. ensure that the most jabs go into European arms. Sure they've ballsed up the contract; sure, there's enraging idiocy in the vaccine delivery, from France to Germany... but my point was that ensuring that Pharma companies deliver according to contract is key. And that the UK would be doing the same if in a similar situation. And actually, based again on that Guardian article I've linked, is already doing it.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:05 am

... but my point was that ensuring that Pharma companies deliver according to contract is key. And that the UK would be doing the same if in a similar situation. And actually, based again on that Guardian article I've linked, is already doing it.
Hence question 1 above. You can of course read the contract as the Commission published it, and see that numbers were not guaranteed anyway. Also supply is not interchangeable so you can't just divert supplies meant for export for your own use. If there are short falls in EU supply then you are correct in pointing to the issues in agreeing contracts last year. The earlier you sign the sooner companies can set up manufacturing and work through all the problems involved in complex vaccine manufacture and supply. A lot of the issues around supply for the EU are due to the much later point where contracts were signed and therefore the delay for the companies starting that work. The solution is not to ban exports, it doesn't actually solve the problem whatsoever. It is not a constructive approach.

On your other point, there is no UK ban, the Commission agreed that was the case in the end.

I am sure you must agree this is not a useful route for any country to go down, vaccine nationalism is not something which actually solves the problems of limited supply and only serves to stir up animosity between countries - something which is not helpful in the time of a global pandemic when working together is precisely what we should be doing.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Today's data:
People vaccinated up to and including 16 March 2021
First dose: 25,273,226
Second dose: 1,759,445

Cases 5,758 (5,926 last week)
Deaths 141 (190)

BBC:
Looking at the trends behind the numbers, the seven-day average for cases is down by 1.2%, but there continues to be big drops in deaths and hospitalisations, with falls of 29.9% and 25.1% respectively.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:22 am

On your other point, there is no UK ban, the Commission agreed that was the case in the end.
What is a UK-first clause but for a ban in drag?

I am sure you must agree this is not a useful route for any country to go down, vaccine nationalism is not something which actually solves the problems of limited supply and only serves to stir up animosity between countries - something which is not helpful in the time of a global pandemic when working together is precisely what we should be doing.
The fact is... we are going the nationalist road. The EU is, the UK is, the US is. I'm an idealist, but if it were down me the patents on C-19 vaccines would've been waived. Médecins Sans Frontičres, the WHO, India and South Africa have been advocating for the waiver but we are opposing it.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:38 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by DaveS
Today's data:
People vaccinated up to and including 16 March 2021
First dose: 25,273,226
Second dose: 1,759,445

Cases 5,758 (5,926 last week)
Deaths 141 (190)

BBC:
About 527k doses today (first and second) - which I think is the highest Tuesday to date, so that is encouraging.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:39 am

On your other point, there is no UK ban, the Commission agreed that was the case in the end..
Somewhat semantics and wordplay. Both the EU and UK have methods to enforce their contracts. The UK protected its supply chain via contract (down to ingredient level), the EU appear not to have negotiated a particularly water tight contract so are seeking to enforce via supplementary legislation. The UK approach is clearly better thought out, but both achieve the same objectives.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:44 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
A bit of bad news coming in. Laura Kuenssberg (BBC) has just tweeted: "NHS has written to local health organisations warning of a 'significant reduction in weekly supply' of the vaccine from week beginning March 29th for a month".
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:00 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Great, so the “ramping up to 4-5m a week” is going to last all of two weeks
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PxC
Great, so the “ramping up to 4-5m a week” is going to last all of two weeks
And there goes the preliminary lockdown exit dates with it, I imagine...
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:11 am
Suspended

Yes, so it looks like the below 50s who aren't amongst the few lucky ones to get in the next few weeks are going to be pushed to May. Apparently all unfilled first dose appointments in April are supposed to be closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.