Search
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
29 March onwards

Hi all. Could I just clarify that my understanding of the situation from 29 March is correct (as things stand)? From that date, the "stay at home" rule is lifted in England, though you can't overnight away from home. So it would be legal from that date to go on a long day trip, flying domestically within England, as long as one returns home at the end of the day? Would I likely face any issues at say Heathrow if I was to fly up to Newcastle in terms of journey purpose?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Hi all. Could I just clarify that my understanding of the situation from 29 March is correct (as things stand)? From that date, the "stay at home" rule is lifted in England, though you can't overnight away from home. So it would be legal from that date to go on a long day trip, flying domestically within England, as long as one returns home at the end of the day? Would I likely face any issues at say Heathrow if I was to fly up to Newcastle in terms of journey purpose?
My understanding based on what has been said and on what happened as lockdown 1 was eased is that yes you could do a daytrip like that as long as you do not overnight away from home.

There is now talk of a declaration of travel coming in from 29 March which you will need to sign, but this should only apply for international travel.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
So, it seems that when schools re-open neither the wearing of masks nor twice-weekly Covid testing will be mandatory for pupils, and merely a recommendation with a "hope that most students will volunteer [to be tested]"

This seems akin to bailing out your flooded home using a bucket with a large hole in it, and given that school-age children are one of the more 'infectious' cohorts then a substantial spike in Covid transmission and positive test numbers is, IMHO, pretty much guaranteed after Easter, with dire consequences for any further 'easing' measures.

It's utter madness to put 30 of the most socially-interacting demographic in a room and not require them to observe what are for everyone else, standard preventive measures. It surely can't end well.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:16 am

Perhaps I'm reading too much in this but most London hotels I'm checking for a 'staycation' in late April aren't showing up on various booking sites.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
Perhaps I'm reading too much in this but most London hotels I'm checking for a 'staycation' in late April aren't showing up on various booking sites.
If you look at what has been released though it seems staying away from home overnight in a hotel isn't expected to be allowed until mid May. I think the 12 April change is staying away from home would be allowed only for self contained accommodation.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
If you look at what has been released though it seems staying away from home overnight in a hotel isn't expected to be allowed until mid May. I think the 12 April change is staying away from home would be allowed only for self contained accommodation.
I was looking at rooms with kitchen areas too. Perhaps it's too soon, perhaps they don't think there'll be much movement...
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
I was looking at rooms with kitchen areas too. Perhaps it's too soon, perhaps they don't think there'll be much movement...
yeah i wouldnt consider something like a "residence inn" with a mini kitchen or similar to be considered a self-service accommodation sadly because i was looking for similar and have also came up empty, likely for that reason.
13901 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by VSLover
yeah i wouldnt consider something like a "residence inn" with a mini kitchen or similar to be considered a self-service accommodation sadly because i was looking for similar and have also came up empty, likely for that reason.
I was able to book a cottage though one of the popular cottage booking sites from the 12th. Everything before that was blacked out.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
..... e.g the syringe snapped during vaccinating. .

that's one of the very few vaccination outcomes my mum didn't consider...
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Vaccination numbers reported today are more encouraging, with a definite uptick in 2nd doses. I was a bit worried after the last couple of days, but maybe it was just a blip, a pause to gather breath.
paulaf and wilsnunn like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:15 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
Vaccination numbers reported today are more encouraging, with a definite uptick in 2nd doses. I was a bit worried after the last couple of days, but maybe it was just a blip, a pause to gather breath.
Sturgeon has said supplies will be half for the time being so I wouldn't get your hopes too high for a couple of weeks.

In the modelling for the roadmap, the government assumed 4m vaccines a week in April and May.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by PxC
Sturgeon has said supplies will be half for the time being so I wouldn't get your hopes too high for a couple of weeks.

In the modelling for the roadmap, the government assumed 4m vaccines a week in April and May.
Where have you seen the data used for the roadmap as I would be interested in the other assumptions used? Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
that's one of the very few vaccination outcomes my mum didn't consider...
It happened to one of my injections last week. The Pfizer needle is separately attached to the syringe, whereas the AZ version is all-in-one. It means I can tell from TV coverage what vaccine people are getting. As sheer bad luck would have it, the syringe snapped just as I was trying to vaccinate someone with very severe mental health issues.. Before I started the process I thought to myself "I've got just one shot at getting this right" and then lo and behold the syringe shattered where the needle rotates onto the syringe, the vaccine ended up all over my hands. Luckily a needle was already prepared for the next patient so I quickly grabbed it and had a second attempt. Thankfully it worked fine. It's a one in 100,000 event.
paulaf, alex67500, squawk and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:27 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by paulaf
Where have you seen the data used for the roadmap as I would be interested in the other assumptions used? Thanks
In one of these tweets..

https://twitter.com/Mark_J_Harper/status/1364294661469335557?s=20
paulaf likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:06 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It happened to one of my injections last week. The Pfizer needle is separately attached to the syringe, whereas the AZ version is all-in-one. It means I can tell from TV coverage what vaccine people are getting. As sheer bad luck would have it, the syringe snapped just as I was trying to vaccinate someone with very severe mental health issues.. Before I started the process I thought to myself "I've got just one shot at getting this right" and then lo and behold the syringe shattered where the needle rotates onto the syringe, the vaccine ended up all over my hands. Luckily a needle was already prepared for the next patient so I quickly grabbed it and had a second attempt. Thankfully it worked fine. It's a one in 100,000 event.
You lost a dose! HM will not be amused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.