Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:27 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by CrazyLilBlondie
This is what im hoping for. I have travel booked for the end of April and as long as it is not "illegal" we have every intention of getting on that flight, paying for our four tests, the extra insurance for travelling against advice, and quaranting on return. We will jump through hoops. The only game changer would be if we each had to pay the £1750 for a hotel quarantine on return, but other than that we are willing to travel despite restrictions.
Simon Calder (senior travel writer for The Independent) thinks that hotel quarantine will be dumped by Easter. I think that is way too optimistic, but I hope he is right. He knows much more than me, so hopefully he knows something many of us don't!
LETTERBOY and CrazyLilBlondie like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paulaf
Me too for a May holiday just hope the flights aren't cancelled.
Hopefully people will take matters into their own hands and meet up with drinks and picnics outside pubs instead!
Our flights are on a saturday and so far the flights have been running on saturdays this whole lockdown to my destination, so it's unlikely they will be cancelled, is a rebooking from April last year for our wedding, just want it done now!
paulaf likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:31 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
So moving back from the hotly charged debate - any sense as to know when we will get a sense as to what the legal/SI basis behind travel restrictions will be from March 29? As that will really go to the question as to whether there will be a step back from an enforceable ban on overseas travel given that I understand that they have to re-write it regardless once the stay-at-home order is lifted?
I don't think we'll know anytime soon. Maybe the PM will mention it tonight, but if he doesn't I hope he is grilled about it from journos.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by flashware
It doesn't really amount to nothing for most people. It's a big difference, it's meeting up legally as opposed to illegally. That to me feels like a pretty big change.
The main difference is its will now be legal to sit down on a park bench/sunbathe. Least my neighbour can stop calling the police for me sunbathing in my communal garden on my own now...
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So moving back from the hotly charged debate - any sense as to know when we will get a sense as to what the legal/SI basis behind travel restrictions will be from March 29?
The overseas travel restrictions were largely hinged on the stay at home statutory instruments. You needed a reasonable excuse to be out of your home, and going to the Madlives is not reasonable. So this aspect of the legislation will change, and I'm sure that the SI will be amended yet again. As a digression, some of the SIs in this space are borderline impossible to understand since the amendments have piled up on each other so much, and I doubt anyone can possibly operate them due to all the changes from the baseline SI. I hope there is a tidying up process at some point. But for 29 March I suspect there will be either an amended SI redefining the stay at home requirements or a new SI. That will probably emerge only shortly before the relevant dates, following recent precedent, and there will be a parliamentary debate on them too.

There are separate set of SIs which cover incoming passengers to the UK, mandating self isolation, managed isolation, pre travel testing, post travel testing, test to release. I guess there is no need to change these, and anyone booking travel should - for the time being - factor in the risk of £1750 cost of managed isolation, along with the £205 testing cost - since we still don't know enough about what the future looks like.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HB7
I don't think we'll know anytime soon. Maybe the PM will mention it tonight, but if he doesn't I hope he is grilled about it from journos.
I agree, the PM won't be setting out laws today which take effect in over a months time. However, if I were a legal draftsman and wanted to copy and paste it should be noted as well as the stay at home rule Scotland already has specific legal restrictions on leaving and entering Scotland without a reasonable excuse - so it is easily done. Also the reported restriction not to stay away from home overnight will be in play - we had this last year in the law in June.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The overseas travel restrictions were largely hinged on the stay at home statutory instruments. You needed a reasonable excuse to be out of your home, and going to the Madlives is not reasonable. So this aspect of the legislation will change, and I'm sure that the SI will be amended yet again. As a digression, some of the SIs in this space are borderline impossible to understand since the amendments have piled up on each other so much, and I doubt anyone can possibly operate them due to all the changes from the baseline SI. I hope there is a tidying up process at some point. But for 29 March I suspect there will be either an amended SI redefining the stay at home requirements or a new SI. That will probably emerge only shortly before the relevant dates, following recent precedent, and there will be a parliamentary debate on them too.

There are separate set of SIs which cover incoming passengers to the UK, mandating self isolation, managed isolation, pre travel testing, post travel testing, test to release. I guess there is no need to change these, and anyone booking travel should - for the time being - factor in the risk of £1750 cost of managed isolation, along with the £205 testing cost - since we still don't know enough about what the future looks like.
Thank you. Yes, we are thinking along the same lines and I think the key answer is that we wouldn't really know the new SI for outbound international travel restrictions until closer to the 29th unless the government specifically announces that (which seems unlikely). So seems like we have a few weeks of hoping for something slightly more lenient. I think everyone on this board has accepted it will be summer (and potentially longer) before FCO advice is changed and UK holiday operators are operating foreign holidays. But I remain hopeful March 29 will bring us the ability to leave the country without breaking the law even if its against FCO advise and there are a million hurdles to go through to come back. Happy for anyone to tell me they think that's a pipe dream.
paulaf and CrazyLilBlondie like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:49 am

But I remain hopeful March 29 will bring us the ability to leave the country without breaking the law even if its against FCO advise and there are a million hurdles to go through to come back. Happy for anyone to tell me they think that's a pipe dream.
This is very unlikely based on what is reported. As noted, it is expected the stay at home will be lifted, but you will not be allowed to be away from home overnight. This is exactly what happened last year as lockdown was gradually lifted.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:55 am

I remain hopeful March 29 will bring us the ability to leave the country without breaking the law even if its against FCO advise and there are a million hurdles to go through to come back.
This is what im hoping for. I find the newspaper headlines of "no holidays till august" seem to be more focused on the family package holidays with Tui to Spain with the kids, without quarantine and multiple tests. Where as savvy flexible travelers who are happy to jump through the hoops, afford all the tests and are able to quarantine at home seems to not be the focus of the narative when it comes to "holidays" in the press.
paulaf and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
This is very unlikely based on what is reported. As noted, it is expected the stay at home will be lifted, but you will not be allowed to be away from home overnight. This is exactly what happened last year as lockdown was gradually lifted.
I don't disagree about the rule about no nights away from home. But practically, if someone left the country last June no one would have said boo on departure or at BF on return as I recall. Happy to be corrected.
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:59 am

However when we were in the tier system in the autumn/winter, wasn't it the rule that you couldn't stay away from home overnight in the UK, but could still go abroad and stay overnight?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:04 am
Suspended

However when we were in the tier system in the autumn/winter, wasn't it the rule that you couldn't stay away from home overnight in the UK, but could still go abroad and stay overnight?
Under Tier 3, yes. Tier 4 then banned international travel but it was unenforced.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

In light of all this news today we will no longer be rushing to get our vaccines, in fact might even refuse it until I need it for selfish reasons for travel, not worried about the health aspects, we were going to have it as it seemed the right thing to do. Many of my friends in their 50s and 60s now also feel the same, what's the point if your life cannot get back to normal, the most vulnerable are now protected and millions more so by the end of March. Feel free to feed this back to HMG.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:05 am

No it wasn't. Tiers 1-3 had no restrictions on movement or staying away from home. Tier 4 had a stay at home restriction as we now have. If you were living in a tier 4 area you were not allowed to leave home for leisure travel, whether within the UK or abroad.

Hotels in tier 4 [EDIT: and tier 3] areas were only allowed to accommodate guests for a restricted number of reasons like work travel.

Under Tier 3, yes. Tier 4 then banned international travel but it was unenforced.
See above.

Last edited by KARFA; Feb 22, 2021 at 5:17 am Reason: sorry, added tier 3
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:10 am
Suspended

No it wasn't. Tiers 1-3 had no restrictions on movement or staying away from home. Tier 4 had a stay at home restriction as we now have. If you were living in a tier 4 area you were not allowed to leave home for leisure travel, whether within the UK or abroad.

Hotels in tier 4 areas were only allowed to accommodate guests for a restricted number of reasons like work travel.

See above.
I don't think that is correct.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ions-explained

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...ockdown-tiers/

This would seem to be consistent with recollection that Tier 3 prohibited overnight stays for non-essential reasons while not imposing a travel ban. Indeed, when we tried to book NYE in Cornwall ~December 12 we were told they were refusing London bookings until they knew whether London would move into Tier 3 that week (which it did, before moving into tier 4 the following weekend) as they wouldn't be allowed to accept Tier 3 resident guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.