Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Premium Security' at MAN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I went through T1 Fasttrack as a guest of TAP yesterday.

It seems now to function as the T3 security, where Fasties are simply pushed in at the head of the regular queue.

The original Fasttrack facility, fully manned and ready for action, remains gloriously empty as the PREMIUM facility: well, not a soul passed through it duringr the 10 minutes or so I was in the system.

I can't see even Manchester's oddly dysfunctional management keeping this on - well, not if they look at the efficiency of the system as a whole. It seems prety obvious that regular and fasttrack users are suffering if screeners, helpers and one inspetion facility have been removed from general use.

One of the section managers was hopeful the scheme will eventually take off. "Fasttrack costs passengers £6", he said, "so what's an extra £4 to get even better service?"
God help us

Last edited by IAN-UK; Feb 16, 2020 at 2:58 am Reason: making sense of it :)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Why should he process you if you hadn't paid? If he had, then somebody who has paid would have to wait for you to go through.

How long did it take you to get through?
Indeed. Isn’t this one of the frequent complaints for fast track when airports allow non fast track people in too? For once I may compliment MAN if this is now enforced.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It seems that MAN has become rather American in its approach to security. Run a dysfunctional organisation, then encourage people to pay extra to avoid that dysfunction. I used to think that we had a clearer understanding as to what public service and public provision meant in this country.
roberino and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It seems that MAN has become rather American in its approach to security. Run a dysfunctional organisation, then encourage people to pay extra to avoid that dysfunction. I used to think that we had a clearer understanding as to what public service and public provision meant in this country.
Spot on. Same with GE into the US. "We're crap but if you pay us money we're not!"
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using coupon code PREMIAIRLI in February 2020 appears to reduce the premium air terminal fee (GBP100 with checked bags, 50 without) by 25%. Yes, still a huge ripoff but a little less of one.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Using coupon code PREMIAIRLI in February 2020 appears to reduce the premium air terminal fee (GBP100 with checked bags, 50 without) by 25%. Yes, still a huge ripoff but a little less of one.
Why is it a ripoff? Nobody is forced to pay £100! Every review I've seen of Premiair has been positive.

PREMIAIR25 also gets the 25%.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Why is it a ripoff? Nobody is forced to pay £100!
A rip-off is not the same thing as a con or a racket. A rip-off is something that is patently not worth the price charged for it. One may place different price tags on the service and therefore have different views as to whether it is a rip-off but the fact that nobody is forced to pay is not relevant to determining whether it is a rip-off or not.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by NickB
A rip-off is not the same thing as a con or a racket. A rip-off is something that is patently not worth the price charged for it. One may place different price tags on the service and therefore have different views as to whether it is a rip-off but the fact that nobody is forced to pay is not relevant to determining whether it is a rip-off or not.
OK - then I must assume the person saying it's a ripoff has experienced it to make that judgment... As I said, every review I've read so far has been positive. I'll be trying it out at the end of March.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:11 am

I just looked at the price of the comparable LHR service. £3300!!! Although that's for up to 3 people
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by NickB
A rip-off is not the same thing as a con or a racket. A rip-off is something that is patently not worth the price charged for it.
It's both actually, going by many definitions.

In cases such as this, I would be more inclined to say it's overpriced than a rip off, as it's less likely to be misinterpreted.

an act of cheating someone by charging too much or not giving anything of value for money spent
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...nglish/rip-off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.