Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by stc
Don't bother trying to renew. I tried to renew at the end of March (and would gladly have paid the 50 pounds as I had a trip in April and another trip in May coming up). Fortunately I got to use Fastrack in April and suspect I will in May. Anyway this is the email I eventually got:
I've been told that if you have one of the affected passports then you have been automatically renewed (for free) until the new system comes in.

That said, I can't test as I now am dual citizen and don't require the rts any more.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:08 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I've been told that if you have one of the affected passports then you have been automatically renewed (for free) until the new system comes in.

That said, I can't test as I now am dual citizen and don't require the rts any more.
Do you have a source for this? That would've been great news if it is true and I had known it about a month ago. But at this point I'm not coming back to U.K. until August or September
Old May 16, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Based on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48297695 it's going live this coming Monday (20th May)

All landing cards for international passengers will be scrapped from Monday, the Home Office has announced.

International passengers will also be able to enter the UK through e-gates, which are currently only accessible by people from the EU.

Last edited by Gagravarr; May 16, 2019 at 10:35 am Reason: Add key text from article
Old May 16, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Oh no. I arrive back in the UK on Monday. I hope we don't have dithering tourists.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Oh no. I arrive back in the UK on Monday. I hope we don't have dithering tourists.
We will all be awaiting your report.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I fear this is going to be a disaster with huge queues at the gates as a whole new group of people try to work out how they function.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Markie
I fear this is going to be a disaster with huge queues at the gates as a whole new group of people try to work out how they function.
It shouldn't be too bad. We use these things in many other countries these days. Including the US.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
It shouldn't be too bad. We use these things in many other countries these days. Including the US.
Ever seen inexperience US travelers going through TSA Precheck?
Markie, Silver Fox, aidy and 1 others like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TomMM
Yes, but those aren't generally international travelers. When we all return to the US these days, we have to scan our passports, right? Unless it's a first timer, they ought to be able to place their passport correctly on the scanner. I'm sure there will be a few confused people, but not too many.

And as discussed above, families with kids won't be using the E-Gates.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:02 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Having used both TSA Global Entry and LHR E-Gates (Registered Traveler), I have to say the E-Gates are easier. None of this fussing with finger prints and "what exactly does that question mean? what is food?"
Old May 18, 2019, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Markie
The technology is not new to Canadians. When e-gates were introduced at YYZ immigration processing immediately became faster even as people to learned the technology. The many NEXUS and GE holders will easily adapt to the UK system. Meanwhile, millions of people seem to manage checking in at airport kiosks which are not radically different than e-gates. Having had the delight of a 90 minute immigration queue at LHR the introduction of e-gates will be a welcome improvement.

Last edited by Badenoch; May 18, 2019 at 6:46 am
Old May 18, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You should see some of the supposed experienced US travellers trying to clear airport security. It's not always the inexperienced who have no clue what they are doing.
Markie and AStarr like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:43 am

Apparently this has now been opened up for Australians, possibly the other passport countries too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/australian-nationals-can-now-use-epassport-gates-to-enter-the-uk

'Eligible travellers from Australia can now use ePassport gates to enter the UK quickly and securely.

Australia nationals aged 18 and over, and who are travelling using a biometric or ‘chipped’ passport, will be able to use the automated e-passport gates. Visitors aged 12 to 17-years-old, and who are accompanied by an adult, are also able to use them.'
Old May 20, 2019, 5:52 am

Now confirmed for the magic 7 countries!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-expands-use-of-epassport-gates-to-7-more-countries

'From today (Monday 20 May), visitors from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States will be able to use ePassport gates at ports across the UK and juxtaposed controls in a move designed to speed up border controls for low-risk countries.'
Old May 20, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I'm an Australian with a residence permit in the UK, I have had registered traveler for 2.5 years. I've heard rumors we now can't use the e-gates as I will be registered onto a tourist visa. I am guessing this is not true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.