Wiki Posts
Search

American English/British English question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
To say, 'I couldn't care less' is saying that there is nothing in the world about which I could care less. Do you really believe that about anything? Is there really nothing else in the world you just might care less about? If it made sense to say, 'I couldn't care less', then there could only be ONE thing that you could apply that to. Does that make sense to you?

When someone says, 'I could care less', what is implied is that while it is possible that I could care less, I certainly don't care very much about whatever we are referring to. Unlike, 'I couldn't care less' which can only be exclusive to one thing, 'I could care less' leaves the door open to there being multiple things about which 'I could care less.' It makes far more sense to say, 'I could care less' than to say 'I couldn't care less' unless it is indeed the one thing in the world about which you 'couldn't care less.

A favourite example of something similar people say in regards to travel is, 'it is the most beautiful X in the world.' Bora Bora is often said to be the most beautiful island in the world. But the only way someone could truly make that statement about Bora Bora would be if they had seen every island in the world and even then, it would only be their opinion, not something that could be proven to be true in the view of everyone. So the correct use of English in that case would be to say something like, 'Bora Bora is the most beautiful island, in my opinion, that I have seen so far.'

People often misuse words or phrases when trying to say something, because they have not thought through the logic of what they are saying. Your example, is a prime example of just that.
You’re overthinking it. When someone states something obvious, and I reply with ‘tell me something I don’t know,’ I’m not actually asking them to spew plenty of unfamiliar facts. It’s just an expression.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hipquest
I'm getting quite the education! Good to know I'm probably going mess up on the ~shire-somewhere. I've known what a fortnight is since I snuck a Barbara Cartland "book" from my Grandmother when I was far too young to be reading that sort of thing. One word that got me, the first time I was in Ireland, was "quay"; I knew what it was but my pronunciation was way off. As to the could/could not, I say couldn't, are contractions commonly used in the UK?
As you probably know, it is pronounced like the thing that unlocks your door.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
Originally Posted by LondonElite

like "remote control doofer"...
MoreMilesPlease likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The trouble and strife?
der_saeufer and :D! like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:56 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
When you get on to counties and towns, the rules start to fly out the window, though, and regional differences really start to creep in.

Compare Loughborough, Middlesbrough and Happisburgh.
Compare Bellingham and Ovingham.
What about Horsham and Bosham? They're pretty close by, too.

And that's before we even get into Scotland or Wales.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:26 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by hipquest
As to the could/could not, I say couldn't, are contractions commonly used in the UK?
Maybe it's just me but it seems more common to hear "he's not" in southern England and "he isn't" outside the UK.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Shire is commonly (though not universally) pronounced as it’s written up here!
I don't know how anyone would go about establishing such a statement as being true without taking a country wide poll. The UK including Scotland is a country in which there are about as many regional dialects as there are counties (200 total and 33 in Scotland alone). Just how the people pronounce any given word in those regional dialects is something I certainly would not want to attribute a majority to agreeing on without specific evidence. It would be equally as easy to say, "Shire is commonly (though not universally) pronounced 'Shir' up here!' It is certainly how my Fife born and raised wife pronounces it in Ayrshire or Lanarkshire. Both of which counties she has also lived in by the way.

To try and debate the correct way of pronouncing a name in the UK is like trying to herd 200 cats. One pronunciation may be 'common' to several individuals from several areas but being 'common' does not mean it is 'common' to a majority as you imply. It may be 'common' to some and equally as 'uncommon' to as many others.

The only argument that could be made as to the 'correct' pronunciation of a place would be the pronunciation used by those who live in that specific place. Edinburgh being a prime Scottish example. Pronounced 'Eh din buru' by locals, never 'Eh din burgh'. A N. American example would be Toronto. Pronounced 'Tron oh' by locals, never 'Tor on toe'. But then you have names that totally defy any seeming reasoning for how locals pronounce them. A Scottish example being the small village of Ravenstruther which is near Lanark. The locals pronounce Ravenstruther as 'Rain stree'. Meanwhile I am pretty sure the rest of Scots if looking at the name on a road map would 'commonly' pronounce it as it is written. They would be wrong or right? I could care less. LOL
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:24 am
Suspended

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Edin-berg. But I have come across a few Lie-Cesster-Squares. And it's Tranna.
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by :D!
Maybe it's just me but it seems more common to hear "he's not" in southern England and "he isn't" outside the UK.
”Ain’t” in that part of the world!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I thought of this thread this last week when a couple of visitors used Canadian colloquialisms during a trip here. They sounded foolish and mildly insulting. (Note to Americans: Don't come to Canada and say "eh." You can't pull it off and it's not funny when you try. In return I won't say "y'awl" when in America.)

There is a risk using local terms creates a perception you are mocking the culture. I've found it more important to understand the terms than to use them and only use them sparingly and when necessary. In South Africa, for example, I would never greet someone with "Howzit" or refer to a sun shower as a "monkey's wedding" but will use the term "cool drinks" when asking for what would be a "pop" in Canada, a "soda" in most of America or a "fizzy drink" in the UK.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You mentioning "quay" reminded me of this other one which I guess you are unlikely to come across but "buoy" is pronounced "boy" and not "boo-eee". I'll leave the phonetics to the international phonetic alphabet chaps when they are released from their darkened rooms!
"herbs" can be an irritation.

"we shall be landing momentarily" another

ditto occasionally convoluted conditionals
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you're on Twitter, you might want to check out Laurence Brown @LostInThePondUS - he regularly tweets the differences in the language. He'll do a quiz where he posts a few American words that are not commonly used in the UK and has followers respond with what they think those words mean. It's pretty funny to read some of the responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.