Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American English/British English question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
The one that gets me is when Americans say they *could* care less (instead of could not)... clearly their level of caring has not yet reached its nadir!
To say, 'I couldn't care less' is saying that there is nothing in the world about which I could care less. Do you really believe that about anything? Is there really nothing else in the world you just might care less about? If it made sense to say, 'I couldn't care less', then there could only be ONE thing that you could apply that to. Does that make sense to you?

When someone says, 'I could care less', what is implied is that while it is possible that I could care less, I certainly don't care very much about whatever we are referring to. Unlike, 'I couldn't care less' which can only be exclusive to one thing, 'I could care less' leaves the door open to there being multiple things about which 'I could care less.' It makes far more sense to say, 'I could care less' than to say 'I couldn't care less' unless it is indeed the one thing in the world about which you 'couldn't care less.

A favourite example of something similar people say in regards to travel is, 'it is the most beautiful X in the world.' Bora Bora is often said to be the most beautiful island in the world. But the only way someone could truly make that statement about Bora Bora would be if they had seen every island in the world and even then, it would only be their opinion, not something that could be proven to be true in the view of everyone. So the correct use of English in that case would be to say something like, 'Bora Bora is the most beautiful island, in my opinion, that I have seen so far.'

People often misuse words or phrases when trying to say something, because they have not thought through the logic of what they are saying. Your example, is a prime example of just that.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I once instructed a taxi (black cab) to take me to the Victoria bus station with my luggage, when I meant the Victoria coach station (a couple blocks away). I almost missed my coach to Oxford as a result.
Given that one of the two coaches to Oxford is called the Oxford Tube (other is the X90), and the Victoria Line of the London Underground (Tube) runs to Oxford Circus, there's additional confusion possible in this situation
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Warwickshire where "Warwick" is pronounced "Worrick", and "shire" is pronounced "shear" (as it is for all the other shires).

Bournemouth where "mouth" is pronounced "muth" (as it is for all the other mouths).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
To say, 'I couldn't care less' is saying that there is nothing in the world about which I could care less. Do you really believe that about anything? Is there really nothing else in the world you just might care less about? If it made sense to say, 'I couldn't care less', then there could only be ONE thing that you could apply that to. Does that make sense to you?

When someone says, 'I could care less', what is implied is that while it is possible that I could care less, I certainly don't care very much about whatever we are referring to. Unlike, 'I couldn't care less' which can only be exclusive to one thing, 'I could care less' leaves the door open to there being multiple things about which 'I could care less.' It makes far more sense to say, 'I could care less' than to say 'I couldn't care less' unless it is indeed the one thing in the world about which you 'couldn't care less.

A favourite example of something similar people say in regards to travel is, 'it is the most beautiful X in the world.' Bora Bora is often said to be the most beautiful island in the world. But the only way someone could truly make that statement about Bora Bora would be if they had seen every island in the world and even then, it would only be their opinion, not something that could be proven to be true in the view of everyone. So the correct use of English in that case would be to say something like, 'Bora Bora is the most beautiful island, in my opinion, that I have seen so far.'

People often misuse words or phrases when trying to say something, because they have not thought through the logic of what they are saying. Your example, is a prime example of just that.
Given several previous examples of your willingness to argue at enormous length, I shall (again!) decline to get involved with you.

I apologise if my light-hearted banter offended you.
IAN-UK, bensyd, NSFU and 9 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Warwickshire where "Warwick" is pronounced "Worrick", and "shire" is pronounced "shear" (as it is for all the other shires).
Plenty of natives of Ayrshire, Aberdeenshire and Lanarkshire would disagree!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:23 pm

Given several previous examples of your willingness to argue at enormous length, I shall (again!) decline to get involved with you.
I shall (try to) decline to argue with said poster too... other than to say his/her 'explanation' is complete rubbish.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
"shire" is pronounced "shear" (as it is for all the other shires).
Not really – it's pronounced either /ʃər/ or (with a silent 'r') /ʃə/ – similar to the pronunciation of the first syllable of 'Shirley' or 'shirk'. (Pedants of the world unite )
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
So THAT’S why it’s Woostershear sauce!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of natives of Ayrshire, Aberdeenshire and Lanarkshire would disagree!
Well I shall let you explain that one, I did think about trying to explain it but couldn't find anything I was happy with, so over to you please!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:43 pm

Well I shall let you explain that one, I did think about trying to explain it but couldn't find anything I was happy with, so over to you please!
Shire is commonly (though not universally) pronounced as it’s written up here!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
Not really – it's pronounced either /ʃər/ or (with a silent 'r') /ʃə/ – similar to the pronunciation of the first syllable of 'Shirley' or 'shirk'. (Pedants of the world unite )
In the south of England at least you may well hear /ʃɪə/
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I shall (try to) decline to argue with said poster too... other than to say his/her 'explanation' is complete rubbish.
You got that right.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I'm getting quite the education! Good to know I'm probably going mess up on the ~shire-somewhere. I've known what a fortnight is since I snuck a Barbara Cartland "book" from my Grandmother when I was far too young to be reading that sort of thing. One word that got me, the first time I was in Ireland, was "quay"; I knew what it was but my pronunciation was way off. As to the could/could not, I say couldn't, are contractions commonly used in the UK?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shire is commonly (though not universally) pronounced as it’s written up here!
Can you teach them how to roll their "Rs" when they say it?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mentioning "quay" reminded me of this other one which I guess you are unlikely to come across but "buoy" is pronounced "boy" and not "boo-eee". I'll leave the phonetics to the international phonetic alphabet chaps when they are released from their darkened rooms!
LondonElite and BadgerBoi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.