Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American English/British English question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I wouldn't worry about it. The world is far more homogeneous than it used to be and short of a very colloquial term you'll be understood.

There are some things that may trip you up. Underground and subway mean the opposite of what they mean in NA. Pavement means the sidewalk not the roadway. Look BOTH ways when crossing the street because the cars are on the other side.

At a pub you order drinks at the bar and bring them to the table yourself. Same with food except they will bring it. Gammon steak is ham. Rocket means arugula. All desserts are pudding but not all pudding is dessert.

The good news though is that in dozens of trips to all parts of the UK when faced with confusion about a word or phrase everyone has been quite gracious in helping clear it up.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Be aware most British won't understand what DH stands for.
Or Americans for that matter...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
and let's not entertain the fact that each corner of the UK has different vocabulary for everyday items that we perplex each other without even starting to worry about what yanks, kiwis, ozzies, saffas and the other lot are trying to understand! oh, and weegies.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by swingaling
Or Americans for that matter...
Or care.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Aye, when us weegies talk about getting the messages, we mean doing the shopping; when we ask for ginger we mean fizzy pop; a roll and sausage is a very different thing to a sausage roll (and the sausage in the former is square unless otherwise specified); double negatives elsewhere make a positive but a double positive here makes a negative (“aye right”); dug isn’t the past participle of to dig, but a canine; how means why; “the day” is always today; steaming is not something your kettle does, it’s what you are after a few bevvies; and pure disnae really mean anything, it is, like the C word, a filler that pops up every few words!
farci and secondsoprano like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by ToddSpam
I suggest wearing one of those bright red Make America Great Again hats or t-shirts. That way, if someone doesn't recognize your accent, they can more easily attribute any peculiarities regarding your choice of words to where you are from.

Have fun!!
​​​​​I am not sure I'd recommend displaying a Trump-slogan when venturing to Europe. Better stick to something displaying the American flag or the like instead.
​​​Or perhaps I didn't get the sarcasm in your post?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Goaguy
​​​​​I am not sure I'd recommend displaying a Trump-slogan when venturing to Europe. Better stick to something displaying the American flag or the like instead.
Perhaps?
ajGoes and secondsoprano like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Go one better. Wear a Canadian flag.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Perhaps?
definitely perhaps!!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's not only Americans who won't understand much of what is said in Glasgow. I find that I only picked up a small fraction of what Alex Salmond had to say - but then I stopped trying anyway.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Don't worry about it. Silly little misunderstandings are part of the fun of travel, and you're unlikely to cause any problems by a difference in vocab.

The worst thing that usually happens is that you can get caught in an endless "you say aluminUM and we say aluminIUM LOL!" conversation.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's not only Americans who won't understand much of what is said in Glasgow. I find that I only picked up a small fraction of what Alex Salmond had to say - but then I stopped trying anyway.
Not sure what he has to do with Glasgow or Glaswegian??? A Linlithgow native, educated and worked on the East Coast.
farci likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by hipquest
I think most Brits know when I say "line" it equates to queue (and the reverse for Brits visiting the US), for instance.
Actually, it's far more important, IMHO, to be alert for behavioral differences than for language differences between the two cultures. Like understanding that an impromptu queue (or line) doesn't necessarily have to extend perpendicularly from the service point you're waiting for. Intelligent queue-ers can bend the line to avoid creating access barriers to others, a concept that often seems incomprehensible in the US. As exhibit 1, I'd reference the narrow satellite terminals at ATL, where (at least in my experience, which happily hasn't included a visit now for 4 years) perpendicular lines frequently stretch across the width of the terminal, impeding passage down the center aisle of the terminal.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Wow, I'm sorry it took me a bit to check on this thread again. I needed a laugh after my last couple of days, thank you!
So many comments, I'll just address in a general way.
DH=dear husband, most on flyertalk seem to understand and use every acronym on the planet (or have invented them?)...
As to politics, you don't talk about US politics and I won't talk UK, particularly, London politics.
I'm from the Southern US so no worries about being mistaken for a Canadian, as wonderful as they are.
I've travelled to a few places that were formerly part of the British Empire and gotten along fine (though the use of the F word, by little old ladies in Ireland, was an eye opener ).
I have friends from GB so I've been schooled a bit on some terms. I also read, a lot. BTW, the polite term in my part of the US is restroom not bathroom for public places.
@Thorgils I'm a huge believer in your line theory and your opinion of ATL.
A couple of interactions we had in Belfast inspired this question, if anybody was wondering.
So when I say y'all (and I will) and everybody laughs we'll buy another round, play the "Y'all" game and have fun.
farci and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ToddSpam
I suggest wearing one of those bright red Make America Great Again hats or t-shirts.
I'll be in London in November and planned on wearing this:

ToddSpam, Maglev and Smrtmom1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.