Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London Airports transfer FAQ: London Heathrow (LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Airports transfer FAQ: London Heathrow (LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:00 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Hilton London Tower Bridge to LHR

Some quick route searching is not bringing up anything obvious, so I thought I might post this query here.

We will be staying in London at the Hilton London Tower Bridge. We arrive via LGW, and the Thameslink seems a very nice fit for that routing.

The return is out of LHR, and I don't see anything obvious. We usually take HEX, but getting to Paddington does not look straightforward. We are willing to talk a reasonable amount (carryon only), even across the bridge. But even that does not seem to present obvious choices.

Any suggestions for what I may be missing welcome.

Edit: I'm not used to factoring in Elizabeth Line as that's still newish to me. That may be a good option to be able to leave London Bridge Station and transfer to Elizabeth to LHR. Perhaps this is not as complicated as I had thought

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Mar 7, 2024 at 6:58 pm
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Do you have a lot of luggage? 10 minute walk to london bridge, jubilee line to bond street, elizabeth line to lhr
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Do you have a lot of luggage? 10 minute walk to london bridge, jubilee line to bond street, elizabeth line to lhr
Nope. Just carry on. The Tube tool I was looking at wasn’t factoring in Elizabeth line until I checked a box, and it’s still not one I think of. But this seems far and away simplest. Thanks.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Or just Thameslink to Farringdon, Elizabeth line to LHR.
brp and stifle like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Or just Thameslink to Farringdon, Elizabeth line to LHR.
That would be my recommendation. Jubilee can be annoying and the change at Bond Street is quite a bit longer than at Farringdon.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:40 am

The Thameslink to Elizabeth change at Farringdon is far easier than changing at Bond Street. Be on the rear of the Thameslink train to be nearest the connection to Liz line at Farringdon.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by brp
Nope. Just carry on. The Tube tool I was looking at wasn’t factoring in Elizabeth line until I checked a box, and it’s still not one I think of. But this seems far and away simplest. Thanks.

Cheers.
use the journey planner at tfl.gov.uk
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
use the journey planner at tfl.gov.uk
The journey planner seems to prioritise the HEX over Lizzie for some trips (probbaly because it goes for quickest not cheapest and depending on what start time you add in)

To get Lizzzie times only you need to edit preferences and deselect 'national rail' but then from London Bridge it suggests the via Bond Street route!
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The journey planner seems to prioritise the HEX over Lizzie for some trips (probbaly because it goes for quickest not cheapest and depending on what start time you add in)

To get Lizzzie times only you need to edit preferences and deselect 'national rail' but then from London Bridge it suggests the via Bond Street route!
That's exactly what happened to me, It did not choose Elizabeth until I explicitly ticked the box (after posting here about not finding much, of course )

tom tulpe I will look into the Thameslink option. It is certainly the best for the inbound journey from LGW.

Cheers.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Apologies if this is a silly question; will be arriving at LHR (terminal 2) at 7am on a Thursday for a seperate 1:30pm ticket from LTN. Based on plan my journey seems I take the Elizabeth line to farringdon then thameslink to luton airport Parkway. My question is, can I tap to pay for each of those lines (Google wallet) or should I buy online ahead of time? Hoping to utilize united arrivals lounge so don't want to rush. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Apologies if this is a silly question; will be arriving at LHR (terminal 2) at 7am on a Thursday for a seperate 1:30pm ticket from LTN. Based on plan my journey seems I take the Elizabeth line to farringdon then thameslink to luton airport Parkway. My question is, can I tap to pay for each of those lines (Google wallet) or should I buy online ahead of time? Hoping to utilize united arrivals lounge so don't want to rush. Thanks in advance!
Yes, you can tap using Google Wallet and it will treat it as one journey to Luton Airport Parkway. The fare is £26.40 if you tap in at Heathrow before 9.30am (peak), or £22.10 after.

Note there is also a separate charge for the Dart shuttle train from Luton Airport Parkway to the airport. This is £4.90 each way. You can also use contactless for this, it'll be charged in addition to the fare above. You go through two sets of gates at Parkway station and simply tap out and tap in respectively to get through them.

Also for reference, you cannot use Oyster cards on this route, only contactless cards / Apple / Google wallets.

Finally, sit at the back of the EL train from Heathrow for the quickest change at Farringdon.

Edit to add: An alternative option - likely quicker - is to take the National Express coach from Heathrow Central (by T2) straight to Luton Airport. This runs approx. every hour. If you buy in advance then fares can be cheaper, but check the conditions - nationalexpress.com.
Warriorconcept likes this.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 25, 2024 at 12:27 am
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Yes, you can tap using Google Wallet and it will treat it as one journey to Luton Airport Parkway. The fare is £26.40 if you tap in at Heathrow before 9.30am (peak), or £22.10 after.

Note there is also a separate charge for the Dart shuttle train from Luton Airport Parkway to the airport. This is £4.90 each way. You can also use contactless for this, it'll be charged in addition to the fare above. You go through two sets of gates at Parkway station and simply tap out and tap in respectively to get through them.

Also for reference, you cannot use Oyster cards on this route, only contactless cards / Apple / Google wallets.

Finally, sit at the back of the EL train from Heathrow for the quickest change at Farringdon.

Edit to add: An alternative option - likely quicker - is to take the National Express coach from Heathrow Central (by T2) straight to Luton Airport. This runs approx. every hour. If you buy in advance then fares can be cheaper, but check the conditions - nationalexpress.com.
Thanks so much, this is why I love FT. I saw the national express option on Google maps but figured it would take longer due to possible traffic. I'll revisit it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.