Better sandwiches than Pret a Manger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better sandwiches than Pret a Manger?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't want something that was made hours ago. We have Jersey Mike's, Subway, JJ's, Quiznos, etc etc. I've tried Subway in the UK and they also suck
I wouldn't necessarily describe something that's made to order from all the stuff that's been festering in their little plastic tubs on the counter for hours as "fresh" either .....
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
What about Greggs? Not really tried it much.
If you work in scaffolding, ideal!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I wouldn't necessarily describe something that's made to order from all the stuff that's been festering in their little plastic tubs on the counter for hours as "fresh" either .....
My biggest complaint is pre made wrapped sandwiches' bread is compromised.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:47 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To Pret's credit, the sandwiches are rarely made "hours ago". The branches all have onsite "kitchens" (assembly rooms with buttering machines would be more accurate) to avoid the precise problem of the bread being compromised. The name itself is a pun on Pret a Porter - off the shelf, but high end.

(My biggest complaint is that I just don't like most of the fillings...)

It's not going to be as good as a decent, fresh made sandwich bar sandwich. But it's nice to have a decent alternative to an interminable wait for something freshly made when you're in a lunchtime rush.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Too bad you can't get a fresh sandwich in England. It's the dark ages there as far as fresh sandwiches go!
See the light and head up to Glasgow/Scotland if you want freshly made. There you can get a bread roll filled with almost anything as long as it's not too exotic. A food van will serve you a fried egg/tattie scone/lorne sausage combo in the morning and for lunch head to a chippy for one filled with chips. ^

Independent bakers or grocery stores do offer healthier fillings....like gammon and processed cheese slices.

Last edited by HIDDY; Aug 9, 2017 at 6:20 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:13 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
What, no roll and mutton pie?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Meh. Why does England have such a hard time making fresh sandwiches? Going to Pret is no different than getting a sandwich from the cooler in an airport kiosk. I don't want something that was made hours ago. We have Jersey Mike's, Subway, JJ's, Quiznos, etc etc. I've tried Subway in the UK and they also suck.

Too bad you can't get a fresh sandwich in England. It's the dark ages there as far as fresh sandwiches go!
Most of the made to order sandwich chains are glorified service station sandwiches. The most awful sweetened, processed "bread" with cheap, flavourless, bottom of the barrel fillings. That they make them fresh is about the only thing they have going for them.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by stut
To Pret's credit, the sandwiches are rarely made "hours ago". The branches all have onsite "kitchens" (assembly rooms with buttering machines would be more accurate) to avoid the precise problem of the bread being compromised. The name itself is a pun on Pret a Porter - off the shelf, but high end.

(My biggest complaint is that I just don't like most of the fillings...)

It's not going to be as good as a decent, fresh made sandwich bar sandwich. But it's nice to have a decent alternative to an interminable wait for something freshly made when you're in a lunchtime rush.
Actually, not all of them do have kitchens. There are a few "satellite" shops that get their sandwiches in. Canary Wharf has one, Bond Street station is another.

I have a Pret meters from my office door. It's the last place I go to for a sandwich or lunch. Full of mayonnaise, and as many calories as a Big Mac!!!

"Eat" would be my chain of choice. Better sandwiches, salads and soups. Pret's soups are horrid bowls of salty dishwater. Eat's Chicken Laksa is a hearty soup meal. Pret also has the most disgusting coffee and I think there was a survey recently that showed that.

However, of course nothing beats a freshly made sandwich with fresh ingredients. Independent sandwich shops are hit and miss and when I found a decent one in Soho, I overhead that it was closing in a month. Argh!!

Probably not to relevant for those travelling, but I've just tried Mealpal, where you pay upfront for 12 or 20 meals for 30 days of lunches. It's been a great exploration of my surrounds to restaurants and shops I've walked past and never been in. Works out at either £4.30 or £4.80 per meal and I've had some fantastic options. Yesterday I had a freshly made Chicken Kastu from a place in Panton St that was delicious. The worst I had was dry chicken burger and cold chips.

I've gone for the 12 option as I like going to the markets on Berwick St for lunch. Always great tasting there!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Sadly, for those of us who need to be gluten free, Pret still has extremely limited GF options. They used to have one wrap, but they eliminated that and now it's only a handful of salads and usually one soup.
We visited two Pret shops on a recent stay in London. In both we were told, "Well, the soup's supposed to be gluten-free, but stuff gets in it sometimes."

No way in hell were we risking that.

Of the GF premade sandwiches, M&S seemed to be the best. Tesco salads were our second choice quick meal.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
What about Greggs? Not really tried it much.
Greggs is my "go-to" place whenever I visit the UK. Lots of unhealthy but very tasty stuff - steak bake, sausage rolls, sausage/cheese and bean pasty. You can't beat Greggs! Wish they'd open up in Baku.
HIDDY and DocWatson like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
Greggs is my "go-to" place whenever I visit the UK. Lots of unhealthy but very tasty stuff - steak bake, sausage rolls, sausage/cheese and bean pasty. You can't beat Greggs! Wish they'd open up in Baku.
I think Greggs sometimes gets unfair press. Their Bacon Baguette and Coffee early in the morning at the station (before Pret have bothered to open) is excellent quality and a bargain.
MichaelBaku and HIDDY like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
I think Greggs sometimes gets unfair press. Their Bacon Baguette and Coffee early in the morning at the station (before Pret have bothered to open) is excellent quality and a bargain.
Something that's popular with the masses usually attracts bad press as the media knows more people will be attracted to the story.....bit like the BAEC forum.

My favourite Greggs products were the sausage roll or chicken bake.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by DocWatson
You can't eat sandwiches at Pret if, like me, you find mayonnaise an abomination.
I don't like mustard or mayo, which means I've never eaten a Pret sandwich.

I realize it may make me some sort of alien creature, but I love the cheese and tomato baguette from Upper Crust.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Joe & the Juice serves sandwiches that are in my view far superior to those of Pret A Manger. The Danish chain has a branch at BHX.
https://www.joejuice.com/products/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.