Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Better sandwiches than Pret a Manger?

Old Aug 2, 17, 9:33 am
Original Poster

I love tasty sandwiches. I used to eat a lot of sandwiches at Pret & Manger when in the UK. When they opened a location in Paris, I even skipped a planned French meal while in Paris and headed there for a couple of sandwiches instead

However, they seem to be getting worse. They eliminated two of my favorite sandwiches ("New York Bloomer" and "Wild Crayfish & Rocket"). Nearly half of the shelf space is now taken by vegan stuff They also got baguettes, wraps and prepackages salads - and all this came at the expense of sandwiches.

It's painful to watch a once favorite sandwich chain slowly turn itself into just another sandwich/wrap/salad shelf at a supermarket.

So I wonder, is there some other sandwich chain in the UK with a bigger variety of tasty sandwiches nowadays, like Pret used to have in its glory days? Or is Pret still the best?

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 17, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Crayfish is still around!

The only way to find anywhere better is a local 'made on the spot' outlet who will make to order.

FWIW, and I must spend £50 a week in Pret, nothing has changed at all. Given they make £75m a year profit, you have to give them credit for keeping the quality up.
Old Aug 2, 17, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

They had an awful lot of vegetarian stuff last month when I was there, I agree with cockpitvisit that almost half the shelf space was given over to it. Maybe it was just a temporary promotion?
Old Aug 2, 17, 1:13 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
It is Prêt à Manger (ready to eat), not Pret and Manger!
Old Aug 2, 17, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
They had an awful lot of vegetarian stuff last month when I was there, I agree with cockpitvisit that almost half the shelf space was given over to it. Maybe it was just a temporary promotion?
Not temporary. Pret is massively touting its veggie range and is now opening up permanent veggie-only shops, having initially trialled them as pop-ups.

www.pret.co.uk/en-gb/veggie-pret
Old Aug 2, 17, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC E35K, BA gold
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Crayfish is still around!
But they have added avocado. I thought that was too bad, but it seems to be a fad.
Old Aug 2, 17, 6:33 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by yhm71 View Post
But they have added avocado. I thought that was too bad, but it seems to be a fad.
It's the new superfood, don't you know? Next up, peanut butter and avocado.
Old Aug 3, 17, 12:09 am

Programs: SQ, BAEC, OZ...
I liked Birleys when I was based in London - pretty decent sandwiches I would say. They have a couple of locations very close to Moorgate and I believe at least one more in Canary Wharf
Old Aug 3, 17, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd posit their expanded range is part of their continued success. Don't want a boring sandwich for lunch every day. Pret's core trade is lunching office workers and Londoners want variety.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Aug 3, 17 at 6:29 am
Old Aug 3, 17, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Sadly, for those of us who need to be gluten free, Pret still has extremely limited GF options. They used to have one wrap, but they eliminated that and now it's only a handful of salads and usually one soup.
Old Aug 3, 17, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Last tried them over ten years ago and found they had too many weird filling combinations for my liking so I never went back.

M&S have more sensible options. I always have a prawn mayonnaise along with a bag of cheese and onion crisps when we visit blighty. All you get here is ham and rubbery cheese.
Old Aug 3, 17, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Allow me to recommend the M&S Wensleydale and Caramelised Carrot Chutney sandwich. Not healthful, and it probably wouldn't appeal to those who lament the rise of vegetarian sandwiches, but I have to have at least one on every UK trip.
Old Aug 4, 17, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You're right, Crayfish and Avocado in Kings Road today. Not impressed.
Old Aug 4, 17, 7:14 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I've always been unsure with Pret. The actual produce is decent enough (although hardly the hand-crafted delight they would like to imply) but they have far too much of an over-reliance on mayonnaise and dressings for my personal taste. Plus, they ruined their hot wraps when they started loading them up with ketchup.

Assuming pre-prepared sandwiches, there is, as mentioned above, M&S. Their usual range is OK, but their seasonal one can produce a few gems - they have a particularly nice meatball flatbread one at the moment. Then there's EAT, which is good for those of us with simple tastes... But if the chicken pot pie soup is on, it's hard to pass that up. Benugo always looks promising, but when you get in there, turns out to be the kind of place that mistakes quantity of ingredients for depth of flavour.
Old Aug 4, 17, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
You're right, Crayfish and Avocado in Kings Road today. Not impressed.
I found a live caterpillar in my Pret avocado and crayfish salad. Got a £150 gift card for my disgust.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: