Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Platinum miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2000, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Lifetime Platinum miles?

I understand that TWA gives you lifetime Platinum status after 100,000 miles.

1. Is the number only actual miles, just like normal elite status?

2. Is it just miles earned since the beginning of the Aviators program or also include miles from the FFB program?

thank you, flyer
Old May 30, 2000, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I believe it is 1,000,000 miles. And those need to be actual miles, no bonuses. But from time TWA started the program.

I am 90% sure on this, not 100%.
Old May 30, 2000, 8:05 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Is that your final answer? And yes, it takes quite awhile to hit 1 million actual TWA miles.
Old May 30, 2000, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
It is in fact lifetime, actual flight miles since TWA started offering a frequent flyer program- in 1983, I believe. Unlike the American offer, it does not include any kind of bonuses. But, it is also for the top tier Elite on TWA, vs. mid-tier on AA.

There are a few lifetime Platinums posting on the Yahoo board. If TWA is around for awhile, it's a great deal.
Old May 31, 2000, 11:12 am

Can you provide a link to that Yahoo! board?
Old May 31, 2000, 11:50 am
Suspended

Doing 1,000,000 actual is really doing 100,000 for ten yrs, im sure there are many people out there who do this on other carriers. The prob w/TW is they have cut out so much of their Intl system it does make it much harder and w/o any alliance to boot any trip down-under just doesnt help since no code-shares. I left TW after being Plat w/them for the past 3 yrs, I believe I had only another 200,000 to go to get to LP but I feel by the time I get it it'll be useless unless one wants to fly to STL. The GREAT payoff is NO CAPACITY CONTROL on the award tkts just finished booking the last of the 1/4 mil I had in the acct,yep all to those places one cant get a seat and with the wait-lists all closed,but since I earned the Plat level they had to give me F,C,Y seats so I got the flights I wanted when I wanted them,but with 0 actual miles for 2000 that'll end come 12/31 I will surely miss it!!
Old May 31, 2000, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

So it includes Frequent Flyer Bonus actual miles (the program before aviators), not just Aviators miles

(it would be impossible if it was based only on the latter because it's been in existence for only two years).

Old May 31, 2000, 3:11 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
The program started in 1981. At the time you could only accrue miles on domestic flights and I believe that everybody expected the programs to only be around for a couple years. Times have sure changed!
Old May 31, 2000, 8:11 pm

http://messages.yahoo.com/?action=q&board=TWA

Probably one of the most active and interesting boards out there.
Old May 31, 2000, 9:30 pm

The miles for Lifetime Platinum is based on only miles flown with TWA. It excludes any form of bonus miles such as credit card.

It counts miles from the time you joined TWA, started with the introduction of a program after deregulation. I've earned about 2.5 million flight miles with TWA since I began flying in the mid 1980s.

Lifetime Platinum is a very nice benefit, since competing airlines only offer lowest or mid tier for Million Mile members. I still earn Platinum annually anyway, but it's comforting to know that when my travel slows down I'll still be able to enjoy the perks for elite status.

What is uncomforting is that TWA's lifetime might end before mine.

[This message has been edited by stl-michael (edited 06-01-2000).]
Old May 31, 2000, 9:38 pm

I admire your loyalty to TWA- 2.5 million miles is a lot on any airline. I am now several hundred thousand miles into my million-mile quest, and hope to reach the mark within the next 10 years. I am also cautiously optomistic that the airline will be around for some time. I think that the fundamentals are in place to finally start making some money. Would be great the stock price, which I am currently taking a big hit on, but thinking of buying more. As the old saying goes, long into the future there will be but 3 airlines in the US, "United, American and the financially troubled TWA." With the wave of consolidation that seems to be around the corner, this statement rings even truer now.
Old May 31, 2000, 10:18 pm

I don't see any other options but TWA out of St. Louis. There's Southwest, but I'd take TWA over Southwest anyday.

I think that the Karabu agreement is in effect only for another couple of years. Even though many TWA flights are running full, they aren't making any money. But flights will be raking in cash once this agreement is done with. I hope then TWA can move on in history.

Unfortunately, Karabu doesn't end until 2002 or 2003. If TWA can trudge through these years, they'll turn the corner once they can finally put Ichan behind them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.