Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Reporting on Turkish airline subpar experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reporting on Turkish airline subpar experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
While for the broken seat, the crew could have easily filed a report ( which TK crew have done before during these kinds of issues and the customer service department would proactively offer an apology ) it looks like on this occasion this was not made.

However, I don't know any airline who would apologize other than sending "we are sorry for the inconvenience, etc..." kinds of texts/e-mails or similar announcements via the speaker at the gate area for a non-significant delay. It would also be great what was wrong with the check-in process.

Also, the additional security checks for UK, Canada, USA, and Israel flights are made on the demand of the authorities of the arrival country. TK has no control on this. When Air Canada flying was operating the same route in the past, they had similar measures as request of the Canadian authorities. For reference, even Wizzair flights to LTN have the same security that you have encountered due to the request of UK authorities. Albeit, Gözen Aviation Security ( which TK contracts for this service ) could actually purchase scanning devices and make this search more customer-friendly ( like in Doha Airport ), but they prefer to do that hand-search tradition, in order to cost cut and raise profits as they are a monopoly for this service at IST.
TPJ, nacho, Lefly and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by LMF
Many have complained that the quality of the inflight service on Turkish Airlines has deteriorated significantly in recent years. Whether the OP calls them stewardesses or how much he/she paid for the plane ticket is irrelevant.
It is relevant to the fact the OP might be out of touch with current conditions. Not saying everything went perfectly but secondary screening most likely wasn’t humiliating and the rest seems a bit over the top.

As for your comment what does “many” mean? Twelve FT posts? A valid independent survey? A one time poster?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
It is relevant to the fact the OP might be out of touch with current conditions. Not saying everything went perfectly but secondary screening most likely wasn’t humiliating and the rest seems a bit over the top.

As for your comment what does “many” mean? Twelve FT posts? A valid independent survey? A one time poster?
I don’t think it is over the top to be upset and expect some compensation for a broken seat that doesn’t recline - especially on a long haul flight.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
If it's a full flight - what do you expect the stewardess to do? For things like that I always take pictures/video. I know UA crew will make a report that a seat doesn't work, I don't know any other airline does that.
OP didn't say if it was a full flight. But OP could have made the request to move to a different seat or just moved himself/herself and deal with the FA on the spot. Why didn't OP do it?
In any case, I agree with OP that he/she should boycott TK in the future based on his/her own experience.
nacho and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by AfterHour; Nov 10, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:55 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Everyone take a deep breath and spend a little time reviewing our FT rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules and in particular how we should interact with another. I also would like to remind everyone that sarcasm or tongue in cheek comments do not always translate well across cultural and language differences and the great diversity we have here in FT.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
TPACjv and workshy like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by AfterHour
OP didn't say if it was a full flight. But OP could have made the request to move to a different seat or just moved himself/herself and deal with the FA on the spot. Why didn't OP do it?
In any case, I agree with OP that he/she should boycott TK in the future based on his/her own experience.
I suspect it's either a full flight (last time I flew between YVR-IST the plane was packed), or OP was sitting with his family or something. Normally a crew will offer to swap seat when this happens, and my sis was flying Qantas from Asia to Australia and her IFE broke. It was a full flight (no idea if C is full - but why would Qantas move a nobody there?) and they couldn't do anything, and she wasn't happy without a screen for the whole journey. She got nothing for the inconvenience but she didn't come to a forum and blast about her experience I don't think she has flown Qantas since.

I have had half broken table on my seat, IFE not working, charging port didn't work. It is certainly a common occurrence.

Not all airlines/countries have compensation culture like the US. Mr. said, "did the ticket specify that they shall provide you IFE?"

I agree with you, OP is free to vote with his wallet - he should patronize the businesses that take good care of him.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Not all airlines/countries have compensation culture like the US. Mr. said, "did the ticket specify that they shall provide you IFE?"
Also the compensation structure of US companies is a bit weird, those vouchers are usually thrown for purposes of "shut-up and go-away" rather than solving the issue.

Usually, those customer service departments in the Philippines or India who read complaints and award compensation, don't action anything and the same issue persists over and over.
nacho and DiamondMile like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I flew TK to/from US in early October, 3 years after my last TK flight (DEC 2019 to Asia). The onboard service and cabin crew interaction was definitely worse than I expected /remembered from the past.
Based on the above experience, I would not be surprised if the cabin crew on the OP flight couldn't care to log a report or be a bit proactive in fixing or minimizing the issue.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also the compensation structure of US companies is a bit weird, those vouchers are usually thrown for purposes of "shut-up and go-away" rather than solving the issue.

Usually, those customer service departments in the Philippines or India who read complaints and award compensation, don't action anything and the same issue persists over and over.
I totally agree. The voucher compensation works though, I guess we put a value on everything including flight so if you get say $150 for the mishap you might feel more incline to fly with them again.

I wouldn't say overall TK crew has gotten worse or something, I have met both nice and bad crew.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:54 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I used TK a few times these last couple of weeks - all in business class. The gate screening applied to my flights to Athens as well as Gothenburg and Hamburg - it may be a US and Canadian thing but was also a German, Swedish and Singaporean thing.
I flew SIN-IST and we were ready to depart. We then sat for 90 minutes without a word from the cockpit. Finally departed with the pilot saying they had to change the flight plan because of our delay (but what delayed you in the first place - they notified me the night before that we were going to be delayed, so we compounded the delay). I felt sorry for the connecting pax to ATH/CAI etc - TK personnel meeting the plane shrugged and said you have 15 minutes so run.
I hate IST as an airport. I had to show my passport six times to get on the plane. (getting into the terminal, check in, security, immigration, pre-gate check, boarding check). Everywhere is a huge walk in this stupidly big airport. My flight ATH-IST took 50 minutes and the airport taxi time to gate took 40 minutes.
The private coach service from the TK domestic lounge to the plane was nice though. I think TK majors on the onboard food offering as everything else is just what one would expect from DXB/FRA or LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.