Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Reporting on Turkish airline subpar experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I had a flight through Istanbul to Toronto on October 16, where both flights were delayed by two hours, no apology offered.

Checkin experience in IST to Toronto flight was humiliating - at the onboarding gate they made us go through body and personal items search. This is after we went through security and customs.

flight itself - my chair was broken in that it didn’t recline - the stewardess couldn’t fix it. The table was broken and hanging on one hinge!

I filed a complaint to Turkish airlines and they dismissed it twice saying no incident report was filed (like that’s my job!!?), basically calling me a liar!

really subpar experience for an airline that calls themselves number 1!
chose another
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by zverenok
Hi,
I had a flight through Istanbul to Toronto on October 16, where both flights were delayed by two hours, no apology offered.

Checkin experience in IST to Toronto flight was humiliating - at the onboarding gate they made us go through body and personal items search. This is after we went through security and customs.

flight itself - my chair was broken in that it didn’t recline - the stewardess couldn’t fix it. The table was broken and hanging on one hinge!

I filed a complaint to Turkish airlines and they dismissed it twice saying no incident report was filed (like that’s my job!!?), basically calling me a liar!

chose another
Reporting on a needless rant …

1. why was it delayed? I would rather have a plane operating well than save a couple hours.

2. It is common for secondary gate searches. Isn’t there something going on in the Middle East?

3. You should have requested a flight attendant instead of a “stewardess” or maybe a mechanic.

4. Did they call you a liar twice and are your pants on fire?

5. Number 1? I always choose number 2 as they try harder and it’s more satisfying.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

chose another
It was the same when I was flying with them to Vancouver and Houston - exactly what you described and I had to toss away my water at the gate!!!! Not nice but it's not TK's fault, it's USCBP and the Canadian CBP's requirement. Btw, this happens on other airlines too and I have had SSSS printed on my boarding pass and I had to go through secondary search.

No one said TK has superb customer service in this forum, I have had multiple incidents that they treated me badly and it didn't work to complain. If you want compensation, fly UA and I think your complaint will get you $150 electronic travel credit with UA. You won't get nice food on UA and their Y seats are much worse compared to TK. Not to mention you need to pay for checked bags.

You are fully entitled to your opinion and I'd suggest you to vote with your wallet.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:53 am
Original Poster

It’s the flight attendant, the person who comes when you press the button on the monitor. In my language these are stewards.
I just wanted to share my experience and perhaps suggest to search another company as I am certainly not using them again
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:55 am
Suspended

Please be reminded that you probably fly TK because it is the cheapest airline on this route. Are you a frequent flyer on TK? are you an elite status member on TK?
DiamondMile and miket like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by AfterHour
Please be reminded that you probably fly TK because it is the cheapest airline on this route. …
Seriously asking, what does the pricing has to do with the OP’s complaints?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:46 pm

Additional gate security check also on my flight to IAD. Must be a destination requirement as there were none on my flights to EU.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 2:03 pm

Hi,

chose another
Flights to certain destinations do have additional security checks at the gate - you’ll find flights to the UK have secondary searches at the gate as well. This has been happening for years. I’m guessing that this is a requirement set by the destination country.

I’ve found with Turkish Airlines you will often get an apology after the delay (for example the Captain apologising for the delay) but no information or apology during the delay. This is rather frustrating - delays happen but it would be nice to know why and approximately how long the delay will be when it is actually happening.

I don’t know if you did or not, but if I have a problem I always take a photo / video of the problem as evidence. This way it makes it harder for companies to deny the problem’s existence.
imkevinmc, Lefly, eqeqeqx and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

I will take a photo next time, it didn’t even occur to me they’d just deny it.
I flew cheaper airlines and after filing a complaint through their website they reimbursed for delays and any in flight issues. No one ever came back saying nothing was reported!
Old Nov 9, 2023, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AfterHour
Please be reminded that you probably fly TK because it is the cheapest airline on this route. Are you a frequent flyer on TK? are you an elite status member on TK?
cheapest? Maybe if you compare to Singapore airlines . No, TK is on the pricier end. KLM is cheapest . This was my first flight using TK. And as someone noted how frequently I use this airline or how much it costs is irrelevant to the issue
Old Nov 9, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Reporting on a needless rant …

1. why was it delayed? I would rather have a plane operating well than save a couple hours.

2. It is common for secondary gate searches. Isn’t there something going on in the Middle East?

3. You should have requested a flight attendant instead of a “stewardess” or maybe a mechanic.

4. Did they call you a liar twice and are your pants on fire?

5. Number 1? I always choose number 2 as they try harder and it’s more satisfying.
@tklevin. Stop it. Your response is uncalled for and totally out of line. We can do better.
The issues the OP stated are not what one would expect of a carrier of TK's standard surely.
yitianjian and aramis78 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
@tklevin. Stop it. Your response is uncalled for and totally out of line. We can do better.
The issues the OP stated are not what one would expect of a carrier of TK's standard surely.
There is a function if you think a post is inappropriate. Sometimes a tongue in cheek humor can be appropriate. Of course, the recipient needs to have a sense of humor.

The OP didn’t warrant the level of drama, IMO, of course.

Laugh - you’ll live longer and better.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
There is a function if you think a post is inappropriate. Sometimes a tongue in cheek humor can be appropriate. Of course, the recipient needs to have a sense of humor.

The OP didn’t warrant the level of drama, IMO, of course.

Laugh - you’ll live longer and better.
There’s comedy and there’s sheer sarcastic insults. Yours are of the latter type, especially taking into account that it’s OP’s first post.

In addition, let’s not forget that in order to make others laugh, the writing has to actually be funny.

BTW, there’s a button to press? Really? Oops, I just press it. I’m really, really sorry…
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:25 am
LMF

Many have complained that the quality of the inflight service on Turkish Airlines has deteriorated significantly in recent years. Whether the OP calls them stewardesses or how much he/she paid for the plane ticket is irrelevant.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If it's a full flight - what do you expect the stewardess to do? For things like that I always take pictures/video. I know UA crew will make a report that a seat doesn't work, I don't know any other airline does that.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.