Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-IST-MAD-LIS immigration?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
SFO-IST-MAD-LIS immigration?

Greetings, where would we go through immigration into the EU? I am thinking at MAD, but maybe IST? Turkey is part of the EU but not in Schengen if I understand correctly. Many thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Unfortunately, Turkey is not part of the EU, nor the Schengen Zone, however, Istanbul Airport located in geographical Europe.
You would clear immigration and Madrid and clear customs formalities at LIS for your checked baggage.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Turkey's not in the EU.

You'll clear immigration in Madrid (assuming you're stopping over there as TK offers direct IST-LIS flights).
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
No idea who would be selling a SFO-IST-MAD-LIS routing. Not likely to be TK... Maybe an award ticket.

Anyhow, you would clear EU immigration in MAD. Your bags would be checked to LIS.

You will also need to meet any COVID entry rules for both Spain and Portugal.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by craigthemif
No idea who would be selling a SFO-IST-MAD-LIS routing. Not likely to be TK... Maybe an award ticket.

Anyhow, you would clear EU immigration in MAD. Your bags would be checked to LIS.

You will also need to meet any COVID entry rules for both Spain and Portugal.
TP does operate MAD-LIS so that is a possible one, but I do doubt if it was sold via TK that way.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Likely an award ticket.
You'll enter Schengen in MAD. You will collect bags in LIS.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Yes, it is an award ticket. It started out as a different destination (Valencia, SP.) and we decided to go to Lisbon and Madeira instead. The IST-LIS flights are not available for the award price we have, so TAP from MAD-LIS. I am sorry for the ignorant assumption the Turket is part of the EU. I didn't realize that being on the European continent doesn't make one part of the EU. I does make since to me now that just across the strait is Asia, which is the bulk of where Turkey sits.

We have 1 hour transfer time at MAD, but it appears that TK and TP are right next to each other in different terminals (the old part of the airport) and the walk isn't that far., and there seem to be hourly flights on TP Just glad it isn't in Terminal 4, which is way too big. Thank you all for your answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.