Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: TK Elite
Spoke to an agent this morning who strongly recommended I use my miles before June 30th and that it's unlikely they'll announce an extension so close to expiry.

I also learnt that I lost two upgrade vouchers... Fun

Anyone know which routes the 350 is planned on? Any in SE Asia?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Spoke to an agent this morning who strongly recommended I use my miles before June 30th and that it's unlikely they'll announce an extension so close to expiry.

I also learnt that I lost two upgrade vouchers... Fun

Anyone know which routes the 350 is planned on? Any in SE Asia?
The agents are mostly told to say that the validity of miles are unlikely to be extended. TK is known for last minute decisions and we wouldn't know anything for certain until the very last minute.

For the ELPL vouchers, I have also lost two vouchers back last summer. TK's fabulous IT decided not to extend the validity of my existing vouchers but decided to add 18 months validity to the next set of my vouchers

Also for know the A350 operates on Jakarta and Manila to Southeast Asia at the moment. Both locations are closed to foreigners at the moment, if you are looking to spend your miles on upgrades to these destinations.
AirCanada881 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also for know the A350 operates on Jakarta and Manila to Southeast Asia at the moment. Both locations are closed to foreigners at the moment, if you are looking to spend your miles on upgrades to these destinations.
Indonesia has never been closed for foreigners, the only difference is that visa free entry and visa on arrival for tourists has been suspended but consulates continuing issue e-visa, with that foreigners can enter the country.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: TK*G
One more week to go now.... might just have to book something random for now
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:10 am

Same... Any creative ideas to spend 135k miles on? That's 3 O/W tickets to SE Asia from Europe, I can spend 2 of them but I'd lose 45k :/
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
The agents are mostly told to say that the validity of miles are unlikely to be extended. TK is known for last minute decisions and we wouldn't know anything for certain until the very last minute.

For the ELPL vouchers, I have also lost two vouchers back last summer. TK's fabulous IT decided not to extend the validity of my existing vouchers but decided to add 18 months validity to the next set of my vouchers
Yeah, TK's communications and miles/voucher policies through this whole pandemic has been really off-putting. I'm done chasing status with them. Other airlines have been so much more generous with their policies.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles
I cannot believe TK have decided to be so petty. Trying to get loyal customers to lose their miles.
Definitely puts me off flying with them in the future if this is going to be their attitude.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by eyes_turned_skyward
I cannot believe TK have decided to be so petty. Trying to get loyal customers to lose their miles.
Definitely puts me off flying with them in the future if this is going to be their attitude.
6 days left, there's still hope
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by eyes_turned_skyward
TK is known for last-minute decisions and I mean last-minute.
In March 2021, they extended people's status 3 hours before they were downgraded and they referred people to purchase miles to protect their status.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:10 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
My TK miles that were expiring 30 June are now showing an expiry date of 31.12.2021
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Savage25
My TK miles that were expiring 30 June are now showing an expiry date of 31.12.2021
Exactly, it looks like TK has extended the validity of these miles another 6 months.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:36 am

Exactly, it looks like TK has extended the validity of these miles another 6 months.
ISTFlyer, I could hug you, you were right as always. THANK YOU
ericw and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirCanada881
ISTFlyer, I could hug you, you were right as always. THANK YOU
Maybe when you're doing a stopover in Istanbul
You're welcome
ericw likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
It seems there is still zero AC award flights on TK.com or at call centre. Not sure what's going on~ I can see those straight forward X flights on UA and OZ.
Well, at least I have another 6 months to figure something out!
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:27 pm

In a hurry to use miles that were about to expire 12/2020, I made an award reservation last November that I now wish to cancel 9the flight is due in September).
I wrote to TK and got an answer in two hours: the miles will be redeposited to my account, with an expiration date of 12/2021.
That's great news indeed.

Anyone knows if they will charge the ($25, I think) redepositing fee?

Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.