Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:00 pm

is these like if im buy tomorrow ticket ATH-IST-MAD, i can change it anytime until 24th of march? on any date i want? without paying any fees?
change of outbound city/country is possible?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by raporot
is these like if im buy tomorrow ticket ATH-IST-MAD, i can change it anytime until 24th of march? on any date i want? without paying any fees?
change of outbound city/country is possible?
You could change it anytime until 2 hours before your booked flight if you purchase a ticket today/tomorrow. However, the change fee would be waived once. You could change it to any available date and fare differences would not be waived.

I am not sure if you could change the outbound/inbound flight.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
For tickets bought between March 6-24, you don't need to cancel it by March 16 = no deadline.

I called TK a couple of hours ago and they told me to wait because TK is going to make an announcement regarding the flights to and from the US later today. I have a TATL flight with TK from the EU on April 1 so I'm affected too.
Is there any new policy on US originating tickets ? Can you please share the link ? Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by flyalways
Is there any new policy on US originating tickets ? Can you please share the link ? Thanks.
Nothing yet. I wrote to the Danish office today and see if they know anything.

I don't like the re-booking option - it seems a lot of people are charged between 200-500 EUR to change their flights.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turkey bans flights from 9 more countries

Minutes ago Turkey banned flights from 9 European countries such as Germany, France, Holland, Spain and others.... More information to follow....
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:19 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Flights to/from nine European countries – Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden – will be suspended until April 17.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:34 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Flights to/from nine European countries – Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden – will be suspended until April 17.
As of Saturday 14 March 2020 8am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Flights to/from nine European countries Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden will be suspended until April 17.
Thanks for posting!

Here's the detail:

Europe Flights:

Rights for our passengers who hold tickets for cancelled Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Netherlands flights Change RequestsRights for our passengers who hold tickets for cancelled Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Netherlands flights for February and March are listed below.

For passengers who have tickets for Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Netherlands flights between March 14, 2020 and April 17, 2020, reservation changes will be made free of charge if the new reservation is for a flight taking place by May 31, 2020.
Refund Requests
  • Refunds will be issued for unused tickets.
  • For partially used tickets, where the trip has not been completed, our passengers will be provided with route changes to the extent possible or will receive refunds for the non-used portion of the ticket.
Source: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...irus-outbreak/
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:38 pm

I have several TK award ticket which are domestic US flights exclusively on UA metal. I've read the advisory in detail, but I'm still unclear if I'm able to cancel these tickets or not. They're not domestic TK flights, but they aren't technically international tickets either. My gut is I'm not eligible for any type of waiver, but does anyone know/have experience with their own travel plans that would provide a concrete answer?

Thanks all.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:26 pm

I had 3 award tickets in J on a flight tomorrow for BRU-IST-GYD. Never happened to me before. What are my rights? Do I just get all the money and miles back (45,000 miles + few hundred EUR)? Or do I just get free rebooking for another date?

This was critical so I didn't wait for TK customer care (no one answering) and bought BRU-DXB-GYD on EK so rebooking doesn't help (especially since the ban is active until Apr 17 and will most likely be extended).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I called in to cancel tickets today - US 1-800 number was busy repeatedly, so I dialed the Turkish number and got through to an agent immediately after entering my MS number.

Cancelling the flights and refund of money/miles was relatively painless. Im sad I dont get to take the trip, but its out of my hands and its best to be near your loved ones in crazy times like these.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:54 am

Has anyone had any experience of getting a full refund for cancelling a ticket where there is not an outright ban but instead are 14 day quarantine requirements?

Uzbekistan has just changed its rule for people who have been in the UK 14 days prior to entering Uzbekistan. They will now be required to spend 14 in quarantine which is longer than the trip I have there soon.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
The wording for no change fee seems to have been updated at https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/zero-change-fee/ - now any international tickets bought before 31st March.

Doesn't really help me sadly, as my $2000 fare to change dates is $6000.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: TK Elite
Anyone cancel economy tickets upgraded with elite plus vouchers? How did that work out?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Anyone cancel economy tickets upgraded with elite plus vouchers? How did that work out?
not that, but fwiw, my miles for an upgraded segment were refunded without fuss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.