Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lefly
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets (three nights if traveling to/from USA).

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285

December 2020:
Polat Renaissance, business class E+

January 2021:
Polat Renaissance, business class (No Status)

November 2021:
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport, economy class (No Status), #537
May 2022 Stopover hotel
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel, business E+

May 2022
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper
Centro by Rotona (transit hotel), Business, *G, Nacho
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel (stopover hotel), business, *G, Nacho

July 2022
Pullman, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper

July 2023
Polat Renaissance, business class, TK-E, iamaho
Sheraton Otel Esenyurt - with dinner included, business class, TK-E, iamaho

September 2023
Pullman, Business, *G, SEA-Flyer
Pullman, Business, no status, SEA-Flyer
LaQuinta by Wyndham, Y E+, DaveS
Sheraton Esenyurt, Business, E+, Jaenks, assigned by my request

October 2023
Ramada Plaza Tekstilkent, Business, TK E, Lefly

Print Wikipost

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Runner123
What I meant is that the times I am at the airport dont fit with the tour times. I get in too late.
As I understand, you are asking if it's worth arriving at 03:00 instead of 08:30 to benefit from the 08:00 tour?
Old May 23, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tr3k
Thank you for the detailed post!

We have a similar stopover in a few months and plan to take the same tour. However, our outbound flight is at 6pm, so a couple of hours less than you had.

Did the tour drop you off at the airport at 3pm exactly? How long did it take to go back in through immigration/security and to the lounge? Is there any type of fast track immigration?
The tour guide made a point if getting us back on time and we were dropped off at the front door of the terminal promptly at 3pm. With a 6pm departure you'll have plenty of time in the lounge before boarding.

There is fast-track security and immigration via a separate entrance for premium cabin passengers. We did not have to wait very long at all. Probably about 20 minutes from front door of the terminal to the lounge.

Also worth mentioning that since the tour is operated by Turkish Airlines, they take responsibility if you miss your connecting flight due to the tour and will re-book with no charge. Or at least that's what our guide said at the start of our tour.

Last edited by etgohomeok; May 23, 2019 at 3:58 pm Reason: Added detail
Old May 23, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
The tour guide made a point if getting us back on time and we were dropped off at the front door of the terminal promptly at 3pm. With a 6pm departure you'll have plenty of time in the lounge before boarding.

There is fast-track security and immigration via a separate entrance for premium cabin passengers. We did not have to wait very long at all. Probably about 20 minutes from front door of the terminal to the lounge.

Also worth mentioning that since the tour is operated by Turkish Airlines, they take responsibility if you miss your connecting flight due to the tour and will re-book with no charge. Or at least that's what our guide said at the start of our tour.
Thanks, sounds good!

What did your tour include (i.e. which sites have you visited)?

It looks like the 8:00-15:00 tour does not cover Hagia Sofia (at least not when we are there), so I've been thinking of taking a shorter "sightseeing" tour, and then going to a few places on our own.

Asked Touristanbul CS what the difference is between a "tour" and a "sightseeing tour" but they replied with something irrelevant.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tr3k
Thanks, sounds good!

What did your tour include (i.e. which sites have you visited)?

It looks like the 8:00-15:00 tour does not cover Hagia Sofia (at least not when we are there), so I've been thinking of taking a shorter "sightseeing" tour, and then going to a few places on our own.

Asked Touristanbul CS what the difference is between a "tour" and a "sightseeing tour" but they replied with something irrelevant.
We happened to take the tour on Tuesday when the Topkapi Palace is closed and replaced with a visit to the Hagia Sophia. In addition to that, we saw the Blue Mosque, visited a shopping street/bazaar where we had the opportunity to buy Turkish Delight and other goodies, and went to a square where there were some smaller sights like the obelisk.

The Hagia Sophia was very nice on the inside (and there are some windows on the upper level facing the Blue Mosque that have a great view for photos). We didn't see Topkapi though so I don't know how it compares and if it's worth leaving the tour group for.

Our guide was quite flexible when it came to leaving and joining back up. Everyone in our group stuck together but it sounded like it would have been fine to leave and do our own thing after breakfast and then meet back with the group to catch lunch and the bus back (though this might require signing the waiver that others in this thread have mentioned).
tr3k likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've read through the wiki here and am still confused unfortunately.

If I book a business class flight BKK-EDI with a 21 hr connection in Istanbul will there be a free hotel provided during this time?
gr8pirate likes this.

Last edited by smokie36; May 25, 2019 at 1:56 am
Old May 25, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, unless an earlier TK flight to EDI is possible
smokie36 likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by smokie36
I've read through the wiki here and am still confused unfortunately.

If I book a business class flight BKK-EDI with a 21 hr connection in Istanbul will there be a free hotel provided during this time?
Well, thanks for reading the wiki, and I don’t blame you for being confused because many of us regulars here, including me, have been confused by the transit vs. stopover hotel distinction.

If there’s a shorter possible connection and you’re not eligible for the TRANSIT hotel, you should be able to get a free hotel through the STOPOVER program (second on wiki) because the Thailand/Europe combo is on the list.
smokie36 and SFOTraveler1984 like this.

Last edited by gr8pirate; May 25, 2019 at 9:01 am
Old May 25, 2019, 9:00 am

Data point for the TK stopover (not transit) hotel program:

4 passengers, in upgraded J
US-Southern Europe via IST
3 day layover, obviously wouldn’t get the normal transit hotel by any stretch of the imagination.

Sent email with all the required information to the address on the list of qualifying origins/destinations. Got a response within a day, asking me to fill out a form with exactly the info I already sent, but okay.
Received the hotel voucher a day later, Hilton Bomonti for the four of us for two days including breakfast.

We obviously need to book rooms for us for the final night of our three-day stay, and are now looking at nicer hotels now that we saved money on the first two.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Data point for the TK stopover (not transit) hotel program:

4 passengers, in upgraded J
US-Southern Europe via IST
3 day layover, obviously wouldn’t get the normal transit hotel by any stretch of the imagination.

Sent email with all the required information to the address on the list of qualifying origins/destinations. Got a response within a day, asking me to fill out a form with exactly the info I already sent, but okay.
Received the hotel voucher a day later, Hilton Bomonti for the four of us for two days including breakfast.

We obviously need to book rooms for us for the final night of our three-day stay, and are now looking at nicer hotels now that we saved money on the first two.
That is still very generous that they booked you for two nights!
Old May 25, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by max_kolesne
That is still very generous that they booked you for two nights!
Absolutely, I hope it didn’t sound like I was complaining!
Old May 25, 2019, 1:42 pm

Absolutely, I hope it didn’t sound like I was complaining!
lol no it didn’t
gr8pirate likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver

Well, thanks for reading the wiki, and I don’t blame you for being confused because many of us regulars here, including me, have been confused by the transit vs. stopover hotel distinction.

If there’s a shorter possible connection and you’re not eligible for the TRANSIT hotel, you should be able to get a free hotel through the STOPOVER program (second on wiki) because the Thailand/Europe combo is on the list.
Thanks for confirming what I thought and yes it was that grey area which confused me!
Old May 25, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
Thanks for confirming what I thought and yes it was that grey area which confused me!
I’ve been here for years and just now got my head around it. Maybe I’m a little slow...
Old May 27, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
So I'm scheduled to land in IST (from CAI) at 17:15 and my flight isn't until 01:20, with no possible earlier flight. That's a layover of 8h5m, and since it's J class, it qualifies for a tour.

However, with the Bosphorus tour from 18:00-23:00, any idea if I could make it in time for this tour?
Old May 27, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
So I'm scheduled to land in IST (from CAI) at 17:15 and my flight isn't until 01:20, with no possible earlier flight. That's a layover of 8h5m, and since it's J class, it qualifies for a tour.

However, with the Bosphorus tour from 18:00-23:00, any idea if I could make it in time for this tour?
You need to be present in front of the hotel desk ( where the tour departs ) 15-30 minute before the tour departs. So, it would depend on the parking position and the taxi route that your inbound flight from CAI would follow after arriving IST.

By the way, Y class tickets also qualify for the tour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.