Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lefly
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets (three nights if traveling to/from USA).

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285

December 2020:
Polat Renaissance, business class E+

January 2021:
Polat Renaissance, business class (No Status)

November 2021:
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport, economy class (No Status), #537
May 2022 Stopover hotel
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel, business E+

May 2022
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper
Centro by Rotona (transit hotel), Business, *G, Nacho
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel (stopover hotel), business, *G, Nacho

July 2022
Pullman, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper

July 2023
Polat Renaissance, business class, TK-E, iamaho
Sheraton Otel Esenyurt - with dinner included, business class, TK-E, iamaho

September 2023
Pullman, Business, *G, SEA-Flyer
Pullman, Business, no status, SEA-Flyer
LaQuinta by Wyndham, Y E+, DaveS
Sheraton Esenyurt, Business, E+, Jaenks, assigned by my request

October 2023
Ramada Plaza Tekstilkent, Business, TK E, Lefly

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

As TK is moving to Istanbul Airport, it would be useful to create a new thread specifically for Istanbul Airport as the information for Atatürk Airport won't be anymore valid.
I would also create a WIKI for this thread as well which would give the essential information for long connections.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:00 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I have an 8h45min layover in ISL later this month, booked in J. When I booked my flight the rule was free hotel for layovers over 7 hours in J, now the rule is 9 hour threshold. Am I out of luck or is the rule dependent on when the flight was booked?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
I have an 8h45min layover in ISL later this month, booked in J. When I booked my flight the rule was free hotel for layovers over 7 hours in J, now the rule is 9 hour threshold. Am I out of luck or is the rule dependent on when the flight was booked?
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for the free stopover hotel service. If the duration of one of your flights are longer than 8 hours, you could ask for a sleeping room in the Business Lounge. If the duration of both of your flights are under 8 hours; you could either book the airport hotel ( YOTEL ) in your own expense, book a hotel in the city for the night on your own expense or spend the 8h45min layover in the airport. Also if your stopover is during daytime, you could benefit from the Touristanbul service.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Hi FlyerTalk fam,

For the sleeping room requirements, any idea if I would be eligible if I decided to take a voluntary longer layover? I generally hate short layovers so I typically take later flights so I have some time to walk around and stretch my legs. If I meet the requirements but there could have been a quicker option where I wasn’t eligible, would I still get the sleeping room? TIA
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EK788
Hi FlyerTalk fam,

For the sleeping room requirements, any idea if I would be eligible if I decided to take a voluntary longer layover? I generally hate short layovers so I typically take later flights so I have some time to walk around and stretch my legs. If I meet the requirements but there could have been a quicker option where I wasn’t eligible, would I still get the sleeping room? TIA
I don't think they have a restriction for sleeping room that does not allow passengers if a shorter connection is possible. So, you should be OK. However, things could have changed from Atatürk Airport to Istanbul Airport. Just simply present both of your boarding passes to the agent at the sleeping rooms. Keep your mouth shut and don't indicate anything that you have chosen a longer connection.

Also be aware that the duration of one of your flights should be more than 8 hours to benefit from this service.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for the free stopover hotel service. If the duration of one of your flights are longer than 8 hours, you could ask for a sleeping room in the Business Lounge. If the duration of both of your flights are under 8 hours; you could either book the airport hotel ( YOTEL ) in your own expense, book a hotel in the city for the night on your own expense or spend the 8h45min layover in the airport. Also if your stopover is during daytime, you could benefit from the Touristanbul service.
Thanks, I think I will get a sleeping room then and also save myself from paying the visa fee.

That said, is it not somewhat questionable to sell a flight that comes with a free hotel and then change the rules after the purchase and no longer give the promised free hotel?
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, TK Elite, Dragonpass, HH Silver
Cautionary tale - YOTEL

Hi all, I’m currently trying to get some sleep in the business lounge after the YOTEL messed up my reservation. I’m travelling LHR-IST-ECN and e mailed the hotel with my reservation details including exact date and times of flights and the hours I need the room. For such hourly reservations you had to e mail according to the website. So I duly receive a confirmation of my reservation and look forward to a stay on my 8hr layover.

I get to the YOTEL and am told that my reservation is actually for tomorrow. And that despite my reservation showing 00:30 on 9th April, the system is only checking in for arrivals on the 8th. Even though ‘now’ is the 9th as shown on my reservation... You cannot run an airside hotel on such a ludicrous reservations set up. It needs to be run by the hour on exact times and dates as promised. People won’t just rock up after 3pm and check out before 11 at an airside transit hotel! The airside hotel at Ataturk never had such an issue. Sadly despite my pleas I’ve not (quite rightly to be fair) been allowed to have a sleeping room so I’m trying to get some shut eye in a quiet corner.

I’ll be letting YOTEL know what I think of them in the morning. Just a cautionary tale to the community.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by davehammer
Hi all, I’m currently trying to get some sleep in the business lounge after the YOTEL messed up my reservation. I’m travelling LHR-IST-ECN and e mailed the hotel with my reservation details including exact date and times of flights and the hours I need the room. For such hourly reservations you had to e mail according to the website. So I duly receive a confirmation of my reservation and look forward to a stay on my 8hr layover.

I get to the YOTEL and am told that my reservation is actually for tomorrow. And that despite my reservation showing 00:30 on 9th April, the system is only checking in for arrivals on the 8th. Even though ‘now’ is the 9th as shown on my reservation... You cannot run an airside hotel on such a ludicrous reservations set up. It needs to be run by the hour on exact times and dates as promised. People won’t just rock up after 3pm and check out before 11 at an airside transit hotel! The airside hotel at Ataturk never had such an issue. Sadly despite my pleas I’ve not (quite rightly to be fair) been allowed to have a sleeping room so I’m trying to get some shut eye in a quiet corner.

I’ll be letting YOTEL know what I think of them in the morning. Just a cautionary tale to the community.
I’m at the Yotel right now, sent the emails and reservation and CC confirmation ahead of time, but it still didn’t seem like they knew I was coming. Somehow the guy at the front desk got me in the room after all. You’re right, the TAV Hotel never had these issues, but at this point I hope it’s just teething.

I’ll be at the lounge 10-11 tomorrow, would be happy to say hello.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, TK Elite, Dragonpass, HH Silver
Sadly I’ll be on my way at 8:15 otherwise it would have been great to meet up gr8pirate.

Luckily the dark bit in in the middle of the lounge was quiet enough for a few hours sleep and showers were available just now. Teething problems in there too as the lights kept going out for a minute or 2 but the rooms are nice and the shower refreshing.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by davehammer

BTW, did you have the option of leaving the airside (transit area), more like going downstairs and clear immigration like before at Ataturk? In your case you could also ask to leave the transit area to get hotel rooms outside.

p.s. I see elevators on both sides of the terminal building so I suppose I can go down if needed to clear immigration, I'll report back if no one has provided any updated.
tobiashenry likes this.

Last edited by vincewy; Apr 9, 2019 at 12:18 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by vincewy
BTW, did you have the option of leaving the airside (transit area), more like going downstairs and clear immigration like before at Ataturk?.
That's what I would like to know too.
I arrived at IST from the US this evening. We were bussed from the airplane to the terminal building (even though a jet bridge would have been available - looked like some technicians were working on it).
Passengers were separated into transit passengers and immigration. Since I have a day in Istanbul, I went to passport control. I did not see if transit passengers had to go through transit security.
The airport was nice - not busy at all. Unfortunately the fast track lane at passport control was closed, so there was a bit of a wait. Also, there was quite a long line for taxis with about 1-2 taxis arriving per minute. Definitely not enough for peak times.

I also got a chance to see the new hotel desk - much nicer than at the old airport

Transfer desk

Closed fast track lane at passport control

Hotel desk, to the very right when you leave the baggage claim area

Bus arrival into terminal

Hotel desk, to the very right when you leave the baggage claim area

Walkway to passport control

Outside arrivals area
Taipei and TM78 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing this images SFOTraveler1984.

When passing by the hotel desk, have you noticed if there was any sign of the Arrival Lounge? It should be somewhere around there but as it's not ready yet, nor Turkish Airlines nor the airport doesn't give any information.

And obviously the new hotel desk is much more better than the previous one in Atatürk.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
I did not see any sign of the arrivals lounge - to be honest, I also didn't really look for it. I might have some time tomorrow to check before my next flight.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thanks for sharing this images SFOTraveler1984.

When passing by the hotel desk, have you noticed if there was any sign of the Arrival Lounge? It should be somewhere around there but as it's not ready yet, nor Turkish Airlines nor the airport doesn't give any information.

And obviously the new hotel desk is much more better than the previous one in Atatürk.

I don’t know if this helps or if this is TK’s arrival lounge, but I found this arrival terminal map on TK’s website.
it shows an arrival lounge by the hotel desk. Thanks for all the information for my flight tonight. Safe Travels!

Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northsideguy

I don’t know if this helps or if this is TK’s arrival lounge, but I found this arrival terminal map on TK’s website.
it shows an arrival lounge by the hotel desk. Thanks for all the information for my flight tonight. Safe Travels!

Thank you for sharing this image which is really useful. How did you access this airport navigation website? The official website still has the old one which is not working.

Edit: Found it. It's on the TK app

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:55 pm Reason: Stated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.