FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1964031-tk-ist-thread-3-transit-stopover-hotel-touristanbul-sleeping-rooms.html)

ISTFlyer Apr 4, 2019 6:05 pm

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

As TK is moving to Istanbul Airport, it would be useful to create a new thread specifically for Istanbul Airport as the information for Atatürk Airport won't be anymore valid.
I would also create a WIKI for this thread as well which would give the essential information for long connections.

escape4 Apr 5, 2019 1:00 pm

I have an 8h45min layover in ISL later this month, booked in J. When I booked my flight the rule was free hotel for layovers over 7 hours in J, now the rule is 9 hour threshold. Am I out of luck or is the rule dependent on when the flight was booked?

ISTFlyer Apr 5, 2019 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30969048)
I have an 8h45min layover in ISL later this month, booked in J. When I booked my flight the rule was free hotel for layovers over 7 hours in J, now the rule is 9 hour threshold. Am I out of luck or is the rule dependent on when the flight was booked?

Unfortunately, you are not eligible for the free stopover hotel service. If the duration of one of your flights are longer than 8 hours, you could ask for a sleeping room in the Business Lounge. If the duration of both of your flights are under 8 hours; you could either book the airport hotel ( YOTEL ) in your own expense, book a hotel in the city for the night on your own expense or spend the 8h45min layover in the airport. Also if your stopover is during daytime, you could benefit from the Touristanbul service.

EK788 Apr 5, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi FlyerTalk fam,

For the sleeping room requirements, any idea if I would be eligible if I decided to take a voluntary longer layover? I generally hate short layovers so I typically take later flights so I have some time to walk around and stretch my legs. If I meet the requirements but there could have been a quicker option where I wasn’t eligible, would I still get the sleeping room? TIA

ISTFlyer Apr 5, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by EK788 (Post 30969875)
Hi FlyerTalk fam,

For the sleeping room requirements, any idea if I would be eligible if I decided to take a voluntary longer layover? I generally hate short layovers so I typically take later flights so I have some time to walk around and stretch my legs. If I meet the requirements but there could have been a quicker option where I wasn’t eligible, would I still get the sleeping room? TIA

I don't think they have a restriction for sleeping room that does not allow passengers if a shorter connection is possible. So, you should be OK. However, things could have changed from Atatürk Airport to Istanbul Airport. Just simply present both of your boarding passes to the agent at the sleeping rooms. Keep your mouth shut and don't indicate anything that you have chosen a longer connection.

Also be aware that the duration of one of your flights should be more than 8 hours to benefit from this service.

escape4 Apr 6, 2019 1:53 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 30969729)
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for the free stopover hotel service. If the duration of one of your flights are longer than 8 hours, you could ask for a sleeping room in the Business Lounge. If the duration of both of your flights are under 8 hours; you could either book the airport hotel ( YOTEL ) in your own expense, book a hotel in the city for the night on your own expense or spend the 8h45min layover in the airport. Also if your stopover is during daytime, you could benefit from the Touristanbul service.

Thanks, I think I will get a sleeping room then and also save myself from paying the visa fee.

That said, is it not somewhat questionable to sell a flight that comes with a free hotel and then change the rules after the purchase and no longer give the promised free hotel?

davehammer Apr 8, 2019 5:00 pm

Cautionary tale - YOTEL

Hi all, I’m currently trying to get some sleep in the business lounge after the YOTEL messed up my reservation. I’m travelling LHR-IST-ECN and e mailed the hotel with my reservation details including exact date and times of flights and the hours I need the room. For such hourly reservations you had to e mail according to the website. So I duly receive a confirmation of my reservation and look forward to a stay on my 8hr layover.

I get to the YOTEL and am told that my reservation is actually for tomorrow. And that despite my reservation showing 00:30 on 9th April, the system is only checking in for arrivals on the 8th. Even though ‘now’ is the 9th as shown on my reservation... You cannot run an airside hotel on such a ludicrous reservations set up. It needs to be run by the hour on exact times and dates as promised. People won’t just rock up after 3pm and check out before 11 at an airside transit hotel! The airside hotel at Ataturk never had such an issue. Sadly despite my pleas I’ve not (quite rightly to be fair) been allowed to have a sleeping room so I’m trying to get some shut eye in a quiet corner.

I’ll be letting YOTEL know what I think of them in the morning. Just a cautionary tale to the community.

gr8pirate Apr 8, 2019 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by davehammer (Post 30979711)
Hi all, I’m currently trying to get some sleep in the business lounge after the YOTEL messed up my reservation. I’m travelling LHR-IST-ECN and e mailed the hotel with my reservation details including exact date and times of flights and the hours I need the room. For such hourly reservations you had to e mail according to the website. So I duly receive a confirmation of my reservation and look forward to a stay on my 8hr layover.

I get to the YOTEL and am told that my reservation is actually for tomorrow. And that despite my reservation showing 00:30 on 9th April, the system is only checking in for arrivals on the 8th. Even though ‘now’ is the 9th as shown on my reservation... You cannot run an airside hotel on such a ludicrous reservations set up. It needs to be run by the hour on exact times and dates as promised. People won’t just rock up after 3pm and check out before 11 at an airside transit hotel! The airside hotel at Ataturk never had such an issue. Sadly despite my pleas I’ve not (quite rightly to be fair) been allowed to have a sleeping room so I’m trying to get some shut eye in a quiet corner.

I’ll be letting YOTEL know what I think of them in the morning. Just a cautionary tale to the community.

I’m at the Yotel right now, sent the emails and reservation and CC confirmation ahead of time, but it still didn’t seem like they knew I was coming. Somehow the guy at the front desk got me in the room after all. You’re right, the TAV Hotel never had these issues, but at this point I hope it’s just teething.

I’ll be at the lounge 10-11 tomorrow, would be happy to say hello.

davehammer Apr 8, 2019 8:47 pm

Sadly I’ll be on my way at 8:15 otherwise it would have been great to meet up gr8pirate.

Luckily the dark bit in in the middle of the lounge was quiet enough for a few hours sleep and showers were available just now. Teething problems in there too as the lights kept going out for a minute or 2 but the rooms are nice and the shower refreshing.

vincewy Apr 9, 2019 11:47 am

Originally Posted by davehammer (Post 30979711)

BTW, did you have the option of leaving the airside (transit area), more like going downstairs and clear immigration like before at Ataturk? In your case you could also ask to leave the transit area to get hotel rooms outside.

p.s. I see elevators on both sides of the terminal building so I suppose I can go down if needed to clear immigration, I'll report back if no one has provided any updated.

SFOTraveler1984 Apr 9, 2019 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy (Post 30982389)
BTW, did you have the option of leaving the airside (transit area), more like going downstairs and clear immigration like before at Ataturk?.

That's what I would like to know too.
I arrived at IST from the US this evening. We were bussed from the airplane to the terminal building (even though a jet bridge would have been available - looked like some technicians were working on it).
Passengers were separated into transit passengers and immigration. Since I have a day in Istanbul, I went to passport control. I did not see if transit passengers had to go through transit security.
The airport was nice - not busy at all. Unfortunately the fast track lane at passport control was closed, so there was a bit of a wait. Also, there was quite a long line for taxis with about 1-2 taxis arriving per minute. Definitely not enough for peak times.

I also got a chance to see the new hotel desk - much nicer than at the old airport :)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...91f611ee4.jpeg
Transfer desk
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...584e5c331.jpeg
Closed fast track lane at passport control
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f0e0473e5.jpeg
Hotel desk, to the very right when you leave the baggage claim area
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...425244a83.jpeg
Bus arrival into terminal
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...28c7743c2.jpeg
Hotel desk, to the very right when you leave the baggage claim area
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ad50d00c4.jpeg
Walkway to passport control
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...eab12c763.jpeg
Outside arrivals area

ISTFlyer Apr 9, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks for sharing this images SFOTraveler1984.

When passing by the hotel desk, have you noticed if there was any sign of the Arrival Lounge? It should be somewhere around there but as it's not ready yet, nor Turkish Airlines nor the airport doesn't give any information.

And obviously the new hotel desk is much more better than the previous one in Atatürk.

SFOTraveler1984 Apr 9, 2019 3:04 pm

I did not see any sign of the arrivals lounge - to be honest, I also didn't really look for it. I might have some time tomorrow to check before my next flight.

northsideguy Apr 9, 2019 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 30983082)
Thanks for sharing this images SFOTraveler1984.

When passing by the hotel desk, have you noticed if there was any sign of the Arrival Lounge? It should be somewhere around there but as it's not ready yet, nor Turkish Airlines nor the airport doesn't give any information.

And obviously the new hotel desk is much more better than the previous one in Atatürk.

I don’t know if this helps or if this is TK’s arrival lounge, but I found this arrival terminal map on TK’s website.
it shows an arrival lounge by the hotel desk. Thanks for all the information for my flight tonight. Safe Travels!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3fcafe5df.jpeg

ISTFlyer Apr 9, 2019 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by northsideguy (Post 30983594)

I don’t know if this helps or if this is TK’s arrival lounge, but I found this arrival terminal map on TK’s website.
it shows an arrival lounge by the hotel desk. Thanks for all the information for my flight tonight. Safe Travels!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3fcafe5df.jpeg

Thank you for sharing this image which is really useful. How did you access this airport navigation website? The official website still has the old one which is not working.

Edit: Found it. It's on the TK app