Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
I spent some time in the IST Domestic lounge recently. It was certainly spartan.

But, the bus from the lounge to the plane was great.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
No, United Club in Chicago and the Domestic Lounge in Istanbul.

If you have PriorityPass, you could use the Air France Lounge in Chicago Terminal 5.
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder says the TK contract lounge in T5 is the "Worldwide Flight Services"

Can I keep my duty free on a I to D transfer at IST? If not, is there duty free in the domestic departure area in IST?

Last edited by audio-nut; Sep 15, 2020 at 12:11 am
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by audio-nut
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder says the TK contract lounge in T5 is the "Worldwide Flight Services"
Most lounges are closed because of COVID; I have written the currently open lounge options.

Can I keep my duty free on a I to D transfer at IST? If not, is there duty free in the domestic departure area in IST?
Yes, however, all liquids must be sealed and the seal must not be opened until you reach your final destination.
There isn't a duty-free in the domestic departure area, however, there is one just after you clear the dedicated international-domestic transfer passport control before heading to transfer security.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:11 am

I haven't been to the new IST airport yet, but I'm considering a trip in November with a long connection, so I was planning to book a Touristanbul. However, there's a gap of more than two hours from our arrival to the tour departure, so I'm wondering if it's possible to exit the transit area and enter Turkey if I go to the lounge first. I understand that there's no arrivals lounge yet, andI'm not sure if I want to spend two hours waiting in front of the hotel desk. Or are there any other good options?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by RedChili
I haven't been to the new IST airport yet, but I'm considering a trip in November with a long connection, so I was planning to book a Touristanbul. However, there's a gap of more than two hours from our arrival to the tour departure, so I'm wondering if it's possible to exit the transit area and enter Turkey if I go to the lounge first. I understand that there's no arrivals lounge yet, andI'm not sure if I want to spend two hours waiting in front of the hotel desk. Or are there any other good options?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Just to mention that Touristanbul is currently not operating due to the virus. Nobody knows when the tours would resume.

By the way, there is a way to exit the transit area and enter Turkey, however, after arriving from your flight, to go to the departures level where the lounge is located, you would need your onward boarding pass and you might need to clear security. After using the lounge, you need to take the escalators down to A/B gates, and in your right, you would see a gate that heads to the transit level where you could clear passport control to enter Turkey and head to the hotel desk for your tour.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:40 pm

Just to mention that Touristanbul is currently not operating due to the virus. Nobody knows when the tours would resume.
Ah, what a pity! So, if we book the flights, we'll only take the regular ground transportation into the city for a couple of hours instead. Thanks for the answer!
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Explorer8939
I spent some time in the IST Domestic lounge recently. It was certainly spartan.

But, the bus from the lounge to the plane was great.
What does "spartan" consist of, so I can prepare myself mentally? :-)
Thanks for reminding me of the bus....I completely forgot, it has been a while....
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Danny Martello
What does "spartan" consist of, so I can prepare myself mentally? :-)
Thanks for reminding me of the bus....I completely forgot, it has been a while....
It was very spartan as to some limited soft drinks and water and cheese sandwiches. We left to go and sit at Gloria Jeans Coffee upstairs which was a lot better. Everything about Turkish is depressing these days.
Explorer8939 and daisymay2 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by asnovici
It was very spartan as to some limited soft drinks and water and cheese sandwiches. We left to go and sit at Gloria Jeans Coffee upstairs which was a lot better. Everything about Turkish is depressing these days.
Thanks. That IS depressing. No coffee and çay in TR! is definitely taking it too far. I will do the same as you and have breakfast at the Café upstairs then.
In any case will send TK a management feedback form after the flight.
asnovici likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
Don't waste your time, there care a ... about your feedback and in this days also about there loyal customers!

Currently, I believed I never would say this, I preferred Lufthansa for FRA-IST. Food in Business as before, always priority for luggage even if you fly eco and most days for a cheaper price.

TK try to told us a wonderful story about there healthy guidance, but they don’t care about our healthy just about there money.
daisymay2 and zeer0 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. That IS depressing. No coffee and çay in TR! is definitely taking it too far. I will do the same as you and have breakfast at the Café upstairs then.
There are both çay and kahve in the domestic lounge.
However, still as asnovici mentioned, any F&B outlet in the domestic sector in IST would have better food options compared to the domestic lounge.

Originally Posted by fvn1312
Don't waste your time, there care a ... about your feedback and in this days also about there loyal customers!

Currently, I believed I never would say this, I preferred Lufthansa for FRA-IST. Food in Business as before, always priority for luggage even if you fly eco and most days for a cheaper price.

TK try to told us a wonderful story about there healthy guidance, but they don’t care about our healthy just about there money.
It's a hard product vs soft product preference between LH & TK. TK is definitely better at the hard-product and LH is definitely better at the soft-product.

In LH you get a full hot meal, a full bar service, pay-to-use Wi-Fi, Euro-J business seats, no inflight entertainment
In TK you get a snack box with limited beverage options, lie-flat or recliner seats, inflight entertainment, free Wi-Fi, live TV
Danny Martello likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:49 pm

Yes, however, all liquids must be sealed and the seal must not be opened until you reach your final destination.
There isn't a duty-free in the domestic departure area, however, there is one just after you clear the dedicated international-domestic transfer passport control before heading to transfer security.
Are there any SIM cards available in the transit area or in the domestic pier? If not, and I choose to go landside to get a SIM card before my domestic flight, can I go through security with my duty free from my previous flight? Or am I choosing between duty free or a SIM card? I am transiting at BJV, is there a SIM card place there on arrival?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are there any SIM cards available in the transit area or in the domestic pier? If not, and I choose to go landside to get a SIM card before my domestic flight, can I go through security with my duty free from my previous flight? Or am I choosing between duty free or a SIM card? I am transiting at BJV, is there a SIM card place there on arrival?
There is a Turkcell store in the airside domestic departures area.
If you're seeking for the other two operators: Türk Telekom and Vodafone, they only have stores at the arrivals level.

Also, if you use the landside route, you could still pass through security with your duty-free items if the items are sealed.

There is a Vodafone store at BJV at the domestic terminal, however if you have baggage, as you would complete custom formalities for your baggage at the international terminal, you would need to walk 5-10 minutes from the international terminal to the domestic terminal to get a sim card so getting it at the IST domestic departures area would be more efficient in your case.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
No coffee and çay in TR! is definitely taking it too far.
That is hard to believe. If it's not out in the open, I'm sure you could ask for it.
daisymay2 and Danny Martello like this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Are there rooms with day beds in the Gold lounge? Recall there were in the Business lounge but it’s closed. Long connections will make want to rest for a few hours if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.