Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by pull_over
No worries! Just wanted to know if you know any tips how to book such flights or maybe you know some additional constraints, like some airlines or dates or cabin class
I'll check Turkish Office next month when I'll be traveling across Europe, but I tried to reach few offices by phone or e-mail (Stockholm, Washington) and it seems they have exactly the same availability.
I found it best to go the office in person, and every time they say it is not possible, show them the ability to book on other platforms. In the end, you probably be able to convince them to do a long sell which should work (i.e., instead of looking for route by origin and destination, request a certain flight in a certain class). It worked for me when the route search came up with nothing, but the search for a specific flight and class (which I knew was available) ended up with a confirmed seat. Of course, not every agent will be willing to go the route of long sell, so you'll need to be persistent.

This was not on UA flight though, but on TP flights.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I found it best to go the office in person, and every time they say it is not possible, show them the ability to book on other platforms. In the end, you probably be able to convince them to do a long sell which should work (i.e., instead of looking for route by origin and destination, request a certain flight in a certain class). It worked for me when the route search came up with nothing, but the search for a specific flight and class (which I knew was available) ended up with a confirmed seat. Of course, not every agent will be willing to go the route of long sell, so you'll need to be persistent.

This was not on UA flight though, but on TP flights.
This! Absolutely the safest option to get what you want IME.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by extremeromance
which hotline did you call?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
Originally Posted by pull_over
I see. How much do they charge in miles and cash for HNL-ICN-SYD (however I'm interested in SYD-ICN-HNL, but just curious about fees)
i think when i looked it was 25k miles each way + $124 SGD tax. this was a while ago now.. but the chart still hasnt changed so 25k should still work! amazing right
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: M&M FTL, TK*EPL, A3*G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ttep
i think when i looked it was 25k miles each way + $124 SGD tax. this was a while ago now.. but the chart still hasnt changed so 25k should still work! amazing right
Wow that's indeed a killer deal. I was ofered same flight but they wanted do charge 75k miles for one way flight so I skipped and just booked paid ticket instead. Did you book at the airport ticket counter or by phone line?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ttep
This should be 75K in J as from Far East to Oceania. Are you sure you only paid 25K miles?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by weever
Hi, does anyone know where is Turkish Airline tickets in Seattle, I searched google and Turkish airline website, even google map. Only got Turkish airlines Cargo office address.
I live in Seattle and have wondered the same thing. Many websites, including Turkish Airlines' own (on their "Contact" page) list Seattle as having a TK office. Unfortunately, I think that's just nonsense, the result of the stupidity of internet search engines and web page designers. AFAIK, there is no TK Airlines presence anywhere in or near Seattle. Yes, the websites make an oblique reference to a TK "cargo office" and I'm pretty sure that does not exist either. TK may have some ability to process air cargo at Seatac Airport, but my guess is that there are no actual TK employees there, it's probably just a business arrangement with some nameless contractor, and finding a live human there that knows anything about TK seems very very unlikely. There's just a generic email address (which does not appear to be local), If you google the TK office at Seatle all you will get is a postal mailing address in Chicago (probably their US corporate office?) and a phone number in Turkey. As best I can tell, there is no TK presence at Seatac or anywhere within 1000 kilometers of Seattle (closest would be the TK ticket desk at SFO).

My guess is that TK would actually like to expand to flights to Seattle someday (it makes sense to me, and I've seen an online petition asking TK to do exactly that) - personally I would love to see a nonstop between SEA and IST, it would make a great third west coast city for TK. With the new ultra-long-range aircraft now coming online it could work, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

Bottom line: If anyone thinks they are going to find TK employees at Seattle who can help you with anything, you are mistaken (unless one of them is on vacation here). There's no TK "office" (for passengers or cargo or anything) in or near Seattle. If you really need to deal in person with a live human, go to SFO, that's the closest place you will find a TK employee.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:21 am

Getting agents to find seats is a real lottery. I have a current booking that needed at least 5 calls to the hotline. Each time I called the hotline, they kept saying they don't even see the flight that I specifically asked for. So I started trying to call the city offices today, but I couldn't get ANY of them. I checked opening times and called ATL, BOS, ORD, IAH, NY, LAX, SFO, YUL, YYZ city offices and literally nobody would pick up. in every location. I am not making this up!
So, I was about to give up and thought I would try the hotline one last time, and guess what, agent had no problem finding the flights immediately. So you really need lots of patience and try as many times as you can humanely tolerate. lol

Agent told me I could call back once points have been transferred and ticket, I didn't believe him as I had to previously email the sales office (I did it in March 2019)
But reading the posts in this thread from the last few months it seems now ticketing is possible through the hotline???!!!! this is monumental! can't believe it hasn't been announced here with more fanfare...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
North America to India on Asiana, ANA, EVA, etc

Do TK award rules allow one to book a *A award from LAX to DEL via ICN (on Asiana) or via NRT (on ANA) or via TPE (on Eva)? Both the call center and my local ticketing office were not able to book these routes as a single one-way ticket, although they could see availability for each flight segment separately. Has anyone been successful booking such an award via the Far East region?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum
Was anyone able to execute an upgrade through the Star Alliance site recently?
I am already getting an error when logging in with my M&S credentials.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
This should be 75K in J as from Far East to Oceania. Are you sure you only paid 25K miles?
They just changed it very recently and put HNL from Oceania to US region, so it was 25k but that times are gone now.

If you want to know the fees and surcharges, IATA matrix is a great tool. It priced it out to the dime for me - the agents in the ticket office took 12 to 45 minutes to price out the fees when I had very complex bookings, and were stunned when they realized I qouted the amount correctly (I said "it should be ... Euros", they calculated for a long time, and the amount was always between 99% and 101% of what IATA matrix qouted (the 1% differences because they get their exchange rates for foreign currencies form different sources).
It can be quite a surprise with the fees - e.g. LX C from HKG to ZRH was much less than ZRH - FRA.... (but the other way ZRH - HKG on LX would have been 500 Euros more in fees...)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
I just realized the TK website now offers a tool to book Staralliance partner awards online! I did a quick test and couldn't figure out a way to price a oneway so far, but looked for an intra european LX return flight next months and found great availability for the correct prices. The tool looked as if we can book the whole ticket through it, just like the new "upgrade your TK flight".
Did anyone try this for partner awards? (I used the app last year for TK awards -TK metall only- and it worked awesome).

Last edited by zap7; Aug 24, 2019 at 4:26 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
This has been around for a while, but not functioning well at all. Nice to hear it’s improving!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by LH4116
Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles have one of the most lucrative award charts in Star Alliance, but booking an award on their partners is far from an easy process. Having just successfully ticketed a Star Alliance award with TK miles, I've decided to put together this guide to help you along the way. This should answer most of your questions.

• Star Alliance awards can be booked as one-way, round trip, multi-city and open-jaw.

• In order to make a reservation, you need to call Turkish Airlines call centre on +1-8008748875. Look up the availability in advance, and then give the agent your flight numbers and date. That way you'll speed up the process.

• Please note that it is NOT possible to ticket your award over the phone. Once you have completed your reservation you will be given a confirmation number. To pay for the award you need to visit a physical ticket office, where you will pay the taxes and have your miles deducted in exchange for an e-ticket number. You can do this at any Turkish Airlines ticket office in the entire world.

• Please note that you can NOT mix two airlines in the same leg of an itinerary, without being charged for a new award.

• For example. ARN-HKG-SIN on SAS and Singapore Airlines would cost you 80 000 miles one-way in Business Class. ARN-HKG counts as EU2-Far East for 45K, and HKG-SIN counts as an intra-Far East for 35K.

• However, should you chose to fly on the same airline the entire way e.g ARN-BKK-SIN on Thai Airways you will be charged for an EU2-Far East award = 45 000 miles one-way in Business Class.

• You can combine two airlines on a round trip, as long as each leg of the trip is on the same airline.

• You cannot mix classes on award tickets.

• Experimenting with routings is possible, and TK don't seem to impose MPM. Transferring through a higher zone is possible, but you'll pay the award rate for the higher zone. Backtracking is allowed, and a ticket may include a maximum of 8 flight segments.

• Some restrictions may apply, for instance domestic flights in Business/First Class may only contain one flight segment per leg.

I have successfully managed to book BRU-NRT-SIN on All Nippon Airlines in Business Class. It wasn't easy, and I had to call at least 10 times. Most important of all, be patient and HUACA.

Good luck!
I can confirm that TK has secretly made added some routing rules, certain backtracking is not allowed anymore. I have confirmed this both with TK call center and TK HKG and PVG offices, specifically:

GMP/ICN-NRT/HND-FRA on ANA: allowed
BKK-NRT/HND-EU: NOT allowed, two separate awards required (35k+45K for biz class)
All China ports (incl. HKG)-NRT/HND-EU: NOT allowed, two separate awards required (35k+45K for biz class)
BKK/SIN/CGK (potentially other Southeast Asia ports)-NRT/HND-EU: NOT allowed, two separate awards required (35k+45K for biz class)
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Are refunds immediate?

I want to book LH F but have to wait until 2 weeks out to see if availability opens up. As a backup I want to have another route booked in C using TK-miles.

If F opens up TK will have to cancel the C-award and use those miles for the F-award.

Does anyone know if TK can do this (knowing how "competent" their IT-systens are)? Will they be able to refund the C-award and directly use the miles on another award?

There seems to be a person who did this in this thread a few years back but I'd like to hear more experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.