Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by hybr1d
The most detailed information I received from UA was this (this is a copy and paste from the customer support over text): There is no fare quote data exist . No, ticketing address or form of payment use. Passenger information are also error and cannot be add or modify here. It just show your flight for (DATE) but not even confirm. Please try to reach out Turkish. This is the error showing here " Mileageplus Sponsor information cannot be located. The SSR FQTR needs to be added back into the PNR. " Meaning your ticket is not successfully book using your turkish miles and they need to farequote again the ticket to reissue.
At least you received something semi-sentient from UA!

The last 2 e-mail replies I received as a 1K had *nothing* to do with what I had sent an e-mail for - so count your lucky stars that they are *somewhat* on subject...things are going downhill over there...

Yes, if you have the opportunity to go over to a TK office - that would most definitely be the best bet.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:42 am

As an alternative, is it possible to rebook through TK without the lap infant and add the lap infant through UA? UA said that the lap infant seems to be the main issue (not sure why). Does anyone have experience with adding a lap infant with the partner airline after the award flight is already booked?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Expl., SPG Gold
So, I'm trying to book my first M&S ticket online for a close friend and it won't let me book for anyone other than myself... I live walking distance from the sales office so may head there tomorrow, but there has got to be a workaround here, right?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:52 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Adrade
So, I'm trying to book my first M&S ticket online for a close friend and it won't let me book for anyone other than myself... I live walking distance from the sales office so may head there tomorrow, but there has got to be a workaround here, right?
Visiting sales office is the best solution.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
Originally Posted by Adrade
You can call them but be aware it is a nightmare . I think 8 out of 10 agents have no idea how to book a *allIiance ticket with M&S miles.

Last edited by no_idea; Apr 15, 2022 at 11:19 am
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Ok, I tried searching around in the thread and got some clues but not really sure if outdated information so hopefully someone can provide guidance on recent experiences. I've accumulated some TK miles and looking to burn them on a couple upcoming trips. I mostly used TK miles with TK in the past so booking *A awards is new.

I'm looking at UA, TP and NH segments in J but none (as in literally nothing - Y,J multiple dates etc) is showing on the online search.
1. Will TK allow me to book J on UA, TP or NH availability existing ?
2. Does it make a difference to call or head to a sales office in terms of *what the availability is*? In other words would I potentially get results in these channels I'm not seeing on the site ?
3. Is there another site I can use to infer availability? Example: some of the segments on TP are available on miles search on UA's website Does that mean anything?

Thanks for the help with these rather newbie questions 😇
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Ok, I tried searching around in the thread and got some clues but not really sure if outdated information so hopefully someone can provide guidance on recent experiences. I've accumulated some TK miles and looking to burn them on a couple upcoming trips. I mostly used TK miles with TK in the past so booking *A awards is new.

I'm looking at UA, TP and NH segments in J but none (as in literally nothing - Y,J multiple dates etc) is showing on the online search.
1. Will TK allow me to book J on UA, TP or NH availability existing ?
2. Does it make a difference to call or head to a sales office in terms of *what the availability is*? In other words would I potentially get results in these channels I'm not seeing on the site ?
3. Is there another site I can use to infer availability? Example: some of the segments on TP are available on miles search on UA's website Does that mean anything?

Thanks for the help with these rather newbie questions 😇
If there is "I" fare availability, you would be able to book Business Class awards on the aforementioned carrier.
Contacting a sales office would probably increase the odds that you'll get a competent person to issue your ticket but if the call center agents search everything correctly, they should see the same availability.
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Contacting a sales office would probably increase the odds that you'll get a competent person to issue your ticket but if the call center agents search everything correctly, they should see the same availability.
You're absolutely right but yesterday I actually had the opposite experience (for the first time). Last Monday I sent an email to my usually helpful local sales office to book a *A redemption that showed as available on the website. No response. So this Tuesday I rang them up and they just fobbed me off saying they would eventually get around to the email and that they couldn't do reward bookings over the phone (despite having done several of them in recent months).

He offered to put me through to the call centre. I suspected my email would never be responded to so I reluctantly allowed him to transfer me. To my total surprise the call centre rep spoke great English, was super helpful, completed the booking from beginning to end and even gave me the Amadeus PNR upon request. If only all reps in the call centre could get the basics right like this! Dealing with TK would be so much better.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:38 am

How do schedule changes on Star partner awards work on TK?

I got a text and email from TK asking me to call in to reconfirm my ticket otherwise it will be cancelled, so I called in. There was a minor schedule change. The agent confirmed with me that the new schedule was acceptable but said some other department will reissue the ticket and send me an email in the next 1-2 days, which sounds concerning and like it will never happen! I'm not even sure why the ticket needs to be reissued.

The ticket has showed up correctly on United all this while including after the minor schedule change (United doesn't even note the schedule change, I guess since it's the same flight number).

Anything to do or just wait?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by abcx

I got a text and email from TK asking me to call in to reconfirm my ticket otherwise it will be cancelled, so I called in. There was a minor schedule change. The agent confirmed with me that the new schedule was acceptable but said some other department will reissue the ticket and send me an email in the next 1-2 days, which sounds concerning and like it will never happen! I'm not even sure why the ticket needs to be reissued.

The ticket has showed up correctly on United all this while including after the minor schedule change (United doesn't even note the schedule change, I guess since it's the same flight number).

This is an irritation with TK. Minor (less than 30 minutes) schedule changes should automatically be assumed to be accepted assuming it does not break a MCT. You would only then need to call if it was not acceptable for some reason. I would be inclined to call again in 1-2 days just to be sure.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite

After a schedule change the ticket needs to be reissued - I don't think TK revalidates ticket (i.e. the ticket No remains the same). If the ticket has been reissued you will see a new ticket No. If the ticket No. is the same as originally issued, you ticket hasn't been reissued yet. But be patient; I may take longer for the ticket to get reissued if your travel is not immediate and the ticketing queue is long.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
After a schedule change the ticket needs to be reissued - I don't think TK revalidates ticket (i.e. the ticket No remains the same). If the ticket has been reissued you will see a new ticket No. If the ticket No. is the same as originally issued, you ticket hasn't been reissued yet. But be patient; I may take longer for the ticket to get reissued if your travel is not immediate and the ticketing queue is long.
Thank you, very helpful. Travel is in 20 days so hopefully they get to it this week.

Just for academic curiosity, is it ‘out of sync’ or something right now? Like what would happen if someone tried to fly it as is without the ticket being reissued?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
This is an irritation with TK. Minor (less than 30 minutes) schedule changes should automatically be assumed to be accepted assuming it does not break a MCT. You would only then need to call if it was not acceptable for some reason. I would be inclined to call again in 1-2 days just to be sure.
Thank you, very helpful. Travel is in 20 days so hopefully they get to it this week.

Just for academic curiosity, is it ‘out of sync’ or something right now? Like what would happen if someone tried to fly it as is without the ticket being reissued?
Turkish law says that all schedule changes over 16 minutes are counted as involuntary and a full refund, a free change, and flexibility must be provided to the passenger. This applies for all flights on Turkish carriers and all flights departing from Turkey. In these cases, TK has no right to auto-revalidate the ticket without the passengers consent.

Usually in cases where the ticket is not reissued, at check-in, you are directed to the sales counter so that a ticketing agent could re-issue your ticket but if this is a partner award, TK would not touch the ticket and ask you to contact the issuing carrier of the ticket unless it's a cancellation/schedule change that was made on the date of travel.
asnovici likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Turkish law says that all schedule changes over 16 minutes are counted as involuntary and a full refund, a free change, and flexibility must be provided to the passenger. This applies for all flights on Turkish carriers and all flights departing from Turkey. In these cases, TK has no right to auto-revalidate the ticket without the passengers consent.

Usually in cases where the ticket is not reissued, at check-in, you are directed to the sales counter so that a ticketing agent could re-issue your ticket but if this is a partner award, TK would not touch the ticket and ask you to contact the issuing carrier of the ticket unless it's a cancellation/schedule change that was made on the date of travel.
This is the other way around - an award issued using TK miles on UA metal.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the other way around - an award issued using TK miles on UA metal.
Then you should be all good in most cases.
Although, if there is a TK office near you, it would be useful to contact them or visit them in person so that they could check the status of the ticket.

Also calling United and verifying the status of your ticket would be a good indicator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.