Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Booking for Prem. Economy ticket.

Hello. As I know TK's award ticket within North Amercia is 7500 miles for X Economy Class and 12500 for I Business class. Has anyone tried to book a Prem. Econ ticket for AC/UA?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Booking for Prem. Economy ticket.

Hello. As I know TK's award ticket within North Amercia is 7500 miles for X Economy Class and 12500 for I Business class. Has anyone tried to book a Prem. Econ ticket for AC/UA?
Premium Economy award tickets are not bookable with TK.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:00 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
I apologize first if I am repeating a question addressed by other FTers earlier. I tried to do some history search but I couldn't see similar discussions, so I figure I might just ask here.

My family and I have some miles (total 140,000-ish) expiring 12/31 this year (2021), and my plan is to do one of the following (or both):

1) TPE-JFK ow or rt on BR Business, or
2) a bunch of LAX-EWR ow or rt on United Business

I don't know on what date my family and I would be able to travel, but we are pretty sure we would use some of the above mentioned flights in 2022. My understanding with TK rules is that once issued, I get to rebook flights on different dates as long as it's the same route operated by the same airline. So my plan now is just to find a dummy availability on a random date in 2022 first, and adjust later in the year as availabilities on my desire dates open up throughout the year.

The thing is, I can't see any BR or UA inventories on those two itineraries on Turkish system. I tried multiple sample dates throughout the year (some in Feb, May-Jul and even Oct and Dec) but all to no avail. I did see some BR stocks on LifeMiles/United.com, which I guess could be a proxy for TK since it would be BR inventory to *A partners. But I now wonder where should I look up United inventory for LAX-EWR? Can I use United.com as a reference? Or is whatever show up on United.com only available to MileagePlus members?

I also tried to look up United inventories on LifeMiles and NH, but had no luck. Transcon is a premium market I know, but given so many seats offered a day, I would be really surprised there is no single spot I can find available to *A partners.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:24 am

Programs: Alaska
UA hardly offers its saver business class to *A partners, at most you will just find a handful over 1 year.

BR seldom releases saver business on TPE-JFK. TPE-YYZ, ORD, SFO/LAX are plenty.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:58 am
tya

Originally Posted by freed0m
UA hardly offers its saver business class to *A partners, at most you will just find a handful over 1 year.
Ah I see. Looks like I have to give into Y then...

Originally Posted by freed0m
BR seldom releases saver business on TPE-JFK. TPE-YYZ, ORD, SFO/LAX are plenty.
Thanks for the tip! I feel they have been opening up some last minute (roughly 1-2 week before departure) spots on most flights incl. JFK. But yet one has to bet on it. I will think about it (if insist on JFK or do West Coast instead). Thanks again!
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines
Got a error message when booking Star Alliance award ticket online

Hi,

I am always getting the following error message when booking Star Alliance award ticket online. I am trying to book ANA or Thai award ticket.

A confirmation of ticketing for the fare class you have selected was not obtained from the airline that will operate the codeshare (common) flight in your travel plan. You can try again by changing your flight choices.
I called the Turkish hotline and tried to go to an offline agency but they seem they cannot proceed to the payment.

Anything I should do?

With thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tya
I apologize first if I am repeating a question addressed by other FTers earlier. I tried to do some history search but I couldn't see similar discussions, so I figure I might just ask here.

My family and I have some miles (total 140,000-ish) expiring 12/31 this year (2021), and my plan is to do one of the following (or both):

1) TPE-JFK ow or rt on BR Business, or
2) a bunch of LAX-EWR ow or rt on United Business

I don't know on what date my family and I would be able to travel, but we are pretty sure we would use some of the above mentioned flights in 2022. My understanding with TK rules is that once issued, I get to rebook flights on different dates as long as it's the same route operated by the same airline. So my plan now is just to find a dummy availability on a random date in 2022 first, and adjust later in the year as availabilities on my desire dates open up throughout the year.

The thing is, I can't see any BR or UA inventories on those two itineraries on Turkish system. I tried multiple sample dates throughout the year (some in Feb, May-Jul and even Oct and Dec) but all to no avail. I did see some BR stocks on LifeMiles/United.com, which I guess could be a proxy for TK since it would be BR inventory to *A partners. But I now wonder where should I look up United inventory for LAX-EWR? Can I use United.com as a reference? Or is whatever show up on United.com only available to MileagePlus members?

I also tried to look up United inventories on LifeMiles and NH, but had no luck. Transcon is a premium market I know, but given so many seats offered a day, I would be really surprised there is no single spot I can find available to *A partners.
Booking partner awards using TK miles is very difficult. Doing so with a view to changing the dates later is not a very good strategy, unless a TK office is very convenient for you.

If you really don´t have any idea about dates, I would book TK itineraries to be changed later, rather than partners.

Alternatively, I would just pay the fee to extend the life of your miles.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
deleted. answer was in the wiki.

Last edited by Lefly; Dec 25, 2021 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:29 pm
tya

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Booking partner awards using TK miles is very difficult. Doing so with a view to changing the dates later is not a very good strategy, unless a TK office is very convenient for you.

If you really don´t have any idea about dates, I would book TK itineraries to be changed later, rather than partners.

Alternatively, I would just pay the fee to extend the life of your miles.

Is it difficult because it’s hard to reach TK agent by phone? Or they’d come up with a lots of roadblocks/excuses to not let you change? I’m an elite plus member would that make it slightly easier?

I thought about cash extension but the amount of miles I need to extend is around 80k, which means I’ll need to pay quite a few for extension itself. That’s why I’d prefer not to if possible.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 6:21 pm
wsc

Hope I’m asking in the right thread. I have access to Kris Flyer (SingaporeAir) points to book reward flights in partner. Looking at London to Istanbul but can’t find direct flights in J or Y with Turkish, just in direct with Lufthansa for both legs, or Turkish on the latter leg.

Is there a trick when direct London to Istanbul flights are released for partner redemptions?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, TP, Hilton
Originally Posted by wsc
Hope I’m asking in the right thread. I have access to Kris Flyer (SingaporeAir) points to book reward flights in partner. Looking at London to Istanbul but can’t find direct flights in J or Y with Turkish, just in direct with Lufthansa for both legs, or Turkish on the latter leg.

Is there a trick when direct London to Istanbul flights are released for partner redemptions?
you should be asking it in the SQ KF thread. but anyways you should try finding award space on united site first, if you see it on united, you can call KF hotline to ask the agent to book. SQ redemption site doesn't always show all.

Hope that helps
Old Dec 29, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Redeemed yesterday all miles(account in minus) to NH flights( I booking class) in next autumn. Called two times and response time was around five seconds in both times. The payment system had some error, could not finish the payment(Mastercard credit and debit), so local office will handle it and issue the ticket.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Redeemed yesterday all miles(account in minus) to NH flights( I booking class) in next autumn. Called two times and response time was around five seconds in both times. The payment system had some error, could not finish the payment(Mastercard credit and debit), so local office will handle it and issue the ticket.
Local office?

Mind specifying?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Local office?
Mind specifying?
Any TK sales or airport office where is possible to pay for taxes in cash or with card and where the miles deduction from account would be made. Just provide the booking number and they will handle it.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:10 am

I am trying to use my miles that expire 12/31 (was hoping for extension). I am now finding out that you cannot book United rewards flights online. I just called the 1-800 number and they cannot find the flight that I want on United Airlines from SFO to Hawaii in September 2022 on the phone. However, I can see that flight on the Turkish Airlines website. What can I do now that I have about 12 hours before the miles expire. Or do the miles expire in a different time zone?

The agent suggested I call United airlines to book using my Turkish airlines miles, which doesn't seem like it would work. He also suggested I call the San Francisco City office, which doesn't open until 9am local time.

Any tips?

P.S. I can't believe they still haven't fixed the website and I wish I had looked into this sooner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.