Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
I'm sure i'm not alone in this case with a fair number (35k) of miles expiring at the end of this month and having no joy whatsoever even finding availability on TK's site.

For those who've had success, did you just call/visit the sales office and tell them where you wanted to go or did you base your choices on partner sites (i.e. UA) as I've been checking UA's availability for trans-con flights (based in YYZ but will have to depart from nearby airport due to TK not issuing *A award flights ex-YYZ) and can't get anything to even come up as available on TK's atrocious search.

I know there's a sales office in downtown Toronto which isn't too much to get to but before I show up there and hope they're open and able to assist I wanted to tap into the hive-mind here for recent DP's of success or failure

Cheers!
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Neil791
I'm sure i'm not alone in this case with a fair number (35k) of miles expiring at the end of this month and having no joy whatsoever even finding availability on TK's site.

For those who've had success, did you just call/visit the sales office and tell them where you wanted to go or did you base your choices on partner sites (i.e. UA) as I've been checking UA's availability for trans-con flights (based in YYZ but will have to depart from nearby airport due to TK not issuing *A award flights ex-YYZ) and can't get anything to even come up as available on TK's atrocious search.

I know there's a sales office in downtown Toronto which isn't too much to get to but before I show up there and hope they're open and able to assist I wanted to tap into the hive-mind here for recent DP's of success or failure

Cheers!
I usually go to the sales in person, have the flight numbers and routings ready and present them to the available sales office agent. If it's a new or an agent that is not familiar, (s)he generally calls his/her supervisor and then they would let you know if they can see availability or not.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Neil791

Cheers!

TK has a 30% off award seats now to travel before mid-may. North America to Europe one-way is 31.5K now with saver seats on TK. so 35K is nice to have a spring(or it's summer?) holiday in Europe.
Neil791 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
Well, I got a one way award flight in business from ATL to NAP Italy for 31500 miles plus ~$220 for March 2022 so there is hope. Booked a quick positioning flight from MLB to ATL for 19K and $6. I was shocked when it went though with no issues and ticketed right away. BUT then I tried booking a ticket for my husband... well I tried now 4 times and it keeps declining the payment. Then the pin would not through to complete an order. Amex reversed 3 payments but Visa says I have a successful payment but I can't get the points to come out. So I guess my husband isn't coming to see me in Italy unless I can figure it out. Still have 10K points expiring so I'd love to book his ticket too.

A glutton for pain I have tried 4 more times once getting though and then having them say oh its a family account we have to book through you not your husband. Okay so we try but the correct pin isnt working yet again, now I've reset it and again its not working so they will call me back in 20 mins the saga continues!

Last edited by <3vacations; Dec 11, 2021 at 4:41 pm
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by <3vacations
Well, I got a one way award flight in business from ATL to NAP Italy for 31500 miles plus ~$220 for March 2022 so there is hope. Booked a quick positioning flight from MLB to ATL for 19K and $6. I was shocked when it went though with no issues and ticketed right away. BUT then I tried booking a ticket for my husband... well I tried now 4 times and it keeps declining the payment. Then the pin would not through to complete an order. Amex reversed 3 payments but Visa says I have a successful payment but I can't get the points to come out. So I guess my husband isn't coming to see me in Italy unless I can figure it out. Still have 10K points expiring so I'd love to book his ticket too.

A glutton for pain I have tried 4 more times once getting though and then having them say oh its a family account we have to book through you not your husband. Okay so we try but the correct pin isnt working yet again, now I've reset it and again its not working so they will call me back in 20 mins the saga continues!
Why didn't you purchase two people at the same time for each ticket.
You don't need to book them on separate attempts if you are using the same Miles&Smiles account to redeem miles.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:48 pm

He is coming a month later on a different flight. I didn't know I could book them together for different flights and dates online.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:36 am

Oh good now I have 2 posted extra charges for flights they told me the payment didn't work and couldn't be booked and they said it would be reversed. Also when I called to book the pin (that is correct because I can log in online) wont work to do the miles OTP. Its turned to be very annoying.
I thought about trying again but I also cant figure out how to book my husband a ticket through my family account I see his name but can't select him.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Anyone know what I could do with 40k miles expiring end of December? I have 105k in total but due to a change in job I won't be earning anymore so I'm happy to spend all in one go on me and my other half. I'd prefer to get both on an award booking and pay as little cash as possible - so preferably not one on miles and one cash.
Our man airport is MAN, any London is 5-6 hours away for us.
I read through a lot of this thread from the last 6 months to get ideas but I'm no further forward as I can't find anything nice and easy to book. I can't find *A flights and even TK flights are barely showing up - apparently flights MAN - AYT start 1st April 2022 but they're not showing.
Any inspiration out there please?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by ziggy81ziggy
Anyone know what I could do with 40k miles expiring end of December? I have 105k in total but due to a change in job I won't be earning anymore so I'm happy to spend all in one go on me and my other half. I'd prefer to get both on an award booking and pay as little cash as possible - so preferably not one on miles and one cash.
Our man airport is MAN, any London is 5-6 hours away for us.
I read through a lot of this thread from the last 6 months to get ideas but I'm no further forward as I can't find anything nice and easy to book. I can't find *A flights and even TK flights are barely showing up - apparently flights MAN - AYT start 1st April 2022 but they're not showing.
Any inspiration out there please?
Europe2-Middle East is 49k per person in business class. Currently there is -30% redemption promotion with TK , flights until May 2022. Europe2-Central Asia could be possibility when finding award seats using the promotion. By award saver chart requires 60k in business class. North Africa is less interesting for 69k miles.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Europe2-Middle East is 49k per person in business class. Currently there is -30% redemption promotion with TK , flights until May 2022. Europe2-Central Asia could be possibility when finding award seats using the promotion. By award saver chart requires 60k in business class. North Africa is less interesting for 69k miles.
Thanks. How do I access the -30% offer?
Scrap that - we're looking at August now and you've said that's up to May 2022. Ah well.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ziggy81ziggy
Thanks. How do I access the -30% offer?
Scrap that - we're looking at August now and you've said that's up to May 2022. Ah well.
The 30% offer would automatically apply when you make a qualifying booking.
No registration or special tool is needed for to benefit from this promotion.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:19 pm

I booked a TA flight via Lifemiles. I got a TKN number from Lifemiles but Turkish App wont accept it. I need to get a seat assignment. I had booked another flight several months ago and was abot to get seat through the App.

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trey
I booked a TA flight via Lifemiles. I got a TKN number from Lifemiles but Turkish App wont accept it. I need to get a seat assignment. I had booked another flight several months ago and was abot to get seat through the App.

Any suggestions?
Ask Avianca for the Turkish Airlines PNR that they would see on their end.
When you have the TK PNR, then try to log in at the app and then select seats.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:38 pm

Thanks. Does anyone have a number for Avianca that works from the US? I dont see one on their site.

Update- i found it- 800-284-2622

Now-getting someone to pick up is a different story.

Last edited by trey; Dec 16, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:59 pm

Now that I have the PNR number, the TA app keeps crashing even after I deleted and added it. Anyone having any App problems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.