Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Send a pic (front and reverse) of your card by email to your local TK ticket office. No need to show up in person. Just write to the TK ticket office and take it from there.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 6:37 pm

Tried to book a ticket that seems to have the opposite of married segment logic for X space.

A to B, visible on UA, AC, TK
B to C, visible on UA, AC, TK
A to C (with layover at B), visible on UA, not on AC/TK.

Thought it might have been phantom, but I was able to get all the way through the payment screen on UA without errors
Anybody run into this before?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by socialmagnet
Tried to book a ticket that seems to have the opposite of married segment logic for X space.

Thought it might have been phantom, but I was able to get all the way through the payment screen on UA without errors
You're still describing married segment inventory - sometimes, married segment inventory results in additional availability, but sometimes it results in less.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:41 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by socialmagnet

Payment screen is not enough to prove. You'll need to go get an actual ticket and also check it on TK's side. It may be so that this is a phantom or it may be that UA may ticket the 2 legs on 2 different PNRs on TK and overcome the married segments limitation.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyerby
Payment screen is not enough to prove. You'll need to go get an actual ticket and also check it on TK's side. It may be so that this is a phantom or it may be that UA may ticket the 2 legs on 2 different PNRs on TK and overcome the married segments limitation.
It doesn't necessarily need to be on 2 different PNRs - it is the responsibility of the plating carrier (when you book a 016 ticket via UA, it's UA's responsibility) to validate that the inventory is actually available - depending on the way UA has its PSS (SHARES) configured, a ticket could be issued if each segment has X space individually but not together. In this case, UA would be failing to validate "properly" and TK could complain to UA for this failing (if UA was a normal travel agent, TK would send a debit memo, but I'm not sure how it works for an interline partner).
flyerby likes this.

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Nov 27, 2023 at 10:48 am
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Has anybody been able to book a ticket for a companion online? When I try to book it throw up this error but I have booked companion tickets via the sales office before on email.

"For Star Alliance award ticket transactions, the ticketing process is not possible for non-members."
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a common issue when you try to book online, i.e. you can't book for travel companions online. Just call TK CS or contact your local TK ticket office for booking.
Anish likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Positive DP: First time using Miles&Smiles, trying to book Air China domestic segment in J.

Initially when I tried the website, even on the star alliance award page, after typing in the O&D, an error popped up saying that the cities are invalid. Odd!

Took 2 calls total (not TK's fault, the call dropped half way thru the first).
First call was around 8pm EST, quoted wait time 26 minutes, holded for more like 35. The agent was competent, and was able to find the space I wanted based on the information I fed him. At this point I transferred points from Citi to my empty TK account. Unfortunately the call dropped before he was able to generate a PNR.
Second call around 1:30am EST, was picked up immediately. The agent was very friendly, eager to help, and competent. Upon finding the space, he took down the passenger's info, and emailed me the PNR and itinerary for me to confirm before ticketing. Even though it was my first time using TK and I was booking for my mom, that didn't seem to be an issue. The whole call took 20 minutes.

Overall fairly painless process (surprisingly). 12.5k miles + $20 for a 3hr slight in J. Assuming they can see the space, would definitely recommend!
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I see some SQ flights available on AC/Aeroplan supposedly at "I" class fare, but I cannot find them on the M&S website and when I call the service desk they are unable to find the availability either. Any idea what's going on?
Old Dec 15, 2023, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC Aeroplan (and Avianca LM) may have access to SQ inventory that are no available to other Star Alliance FFP. I have no idea why.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by IluvJetAirways
I see some SQ flights available on AC/Aeroplan supposedly at "I" class fare, but I cannot find them on the M&S website and when I call the service desk they are unable to find the availability either. Any idea what's going on?
Till recently SQ didn't share J/F award space with any partner. AC has just become the first (and only) partner that has access to SQ J award space. You can't book it through TK or any other *A partner.
IluvJetAirways likes this.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Dec 15, 2023 at 6:11 am
Old Dec 16, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
TK Star Alliance Award Availability for UA flights

it appears to be nearly impossible to find weekend TK star alliance award availability between Newark and Miami on UA metal, at least when searching on the TK website.

Any tips about how to find availability without searching individual dates on the TK website, and any way to find availability that may not show on the TK website but that is bookable by calling TK?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:36 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Till recently SQ didn't share J/F award space with any partner. AC has just become the first (and only) partner that has access to SQ J award space. You can't book it through TK or any other *A partner.
Actually LH was the first to have access to SQ F/J space a few years ago, followed by Alaska (though the redemption value isn't great for most routes). AC is the most recent.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Actually LH was the first to have access to SQ F/J space a few years ago, followed by Alaska (though the redemption value isn't great for most routes). AC is the most recent.
You're right I did speak hastily there. I meant *A partner. I had no idea that M&M could redeem SQ J & F. AS & VA certainly can book SQ premium award space.

I have never found any information on booking SQ through LH though. Can you point me to some?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
You're right I did speak hastily there. I meant *A partner. I had no idea that M&M could redeem SQ J & F. AS & VA certainly can book SQ premium award space.

I have never found any information on booking SQ through LH though. Can you point me to some?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.