Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
I made a Star Award booking with email trough a sales office outisde my country..

I got the PNR already

Which hotline is the best to pay the taxes?
Old Oct 25, 2023, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by northernstar84
I made a Star Award booking with email trough a sales office outisde my country..

I got the PNR already

Which hotline is the best to pay the taxes?
All English speaking call center numbers have a pool system so regardless of which number you call, you'll be getting the same set of agents so the number you dial doesn't matter at all.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
All English speaking call center numbers have a pool system so regardless of which number you call, you'll be getting the same set of agents so the number you dial doesn't matter at all.
Correct but different time in the day will score you different TK call centers around the world.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 11:02 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by SCS
But the process of booking MEX-EWR-BOS through the TK site was simple enough.
How many miles did you pay for this?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 5:44 am
SCS

Originally Posted by invisible
How many miles did you pay for this?
10,000 for economy. Would have been 15,000 for business but there was no UA saver availability in business, so economy was the only option.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by SCS
10,000 for economy. Would have been 15,000 for business but there was no UA saver availability in business, so economy was the only option.
So you got a flight with UA with a connection directly bookable from TK's site?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SCS
How much is the tax?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:37 am
SCS

Originally Posted by invisible
So you got a flight with UA with a connection directly bookable from TK's site?
Correct. And this was not a fluke find. There were multiple such options available for the date that I booked, as well as on other dates.

Originally Posted by nacho
How much is the tax?
It was charged in MXP, but the USD equivalent was around $93. That was similar to what AA was charging in taxes for AA-operated award flights out of MEX airport.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCS
Correct. And this was not a fluke find. There were multiple such options available for the date that I booked, as well as on other dates.

It was charged in MXP, but the USD equivalent was around $93. That was similar to what AA was charging in taxes for AA-operated award flights out of MEX airport.
The tax is pretty ok actually.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:07 pm

The tax is pretty ok actually.
The taxes they charge for UA flights are very low. Can't say the same for Lufthansa flights bought with Turkish miles.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: bdgold
Cancelling Star award

We made a Star award booking in Dec 22 for travel next month as miles were due to expire. 15000miles and £49 tax and fees.
We changed plans and now travelling Dub -Mex (paid J class ticket) on Turkish next month instead, so do not need the reward ticket originally booked.
To cancel, I realise the miles are lost as they have expired. So it is just the cost. How would this be calculated as we only paid £49 in tax and fees.
Oh we were waiting for a schedule change but there has only been 1 of 15mins.

regards
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by clipper99
We made a Star award booking in Dec 22 for travel next month as miles were due to expire. 15000miles and £49 tax and fees.
We changed plans and now travelling Dub -Mex (paid J class ticket) on Turkish next month instead, so do not need the reward ticket originally booked.
To cancel, I realise the miles are lost as they have expired. So it is just the cost. How would this be calculated as we only paid £49 in tax and fees.
It used to be $25 cancellation fee but may be more now. You may salvage your miles by rescheduling for a fee to another date (within the region, which means that you can select another origin and destination within the regions of your original ticket).
Old Oct 29, 2023, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clipper99

regards
The problem is the fee - now it's $70 (I don't remember when they changed it). Cheaper for domestic redemption.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:10 am

Programs: bdgold
The problem is the fee - now it's $70 (I don't remember when they changed it). Cheaper for domestic redemption.
That is it. To cancel would it mean I would need to pay the difference as taxes were only £49. What would be the outcome of doing a no-show, although very reluctant to do that as the seats could be used by someone else
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It was changed for new reservations from early Dec. last year and onwards.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.