Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two questions on Award Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Two questions on Award Tickets

I have 31,000 redeemable miles on TK plan.
Q1: One way, intra Asia, say SIN/HKG on Star Alliance airline, like SQ, biz class requires 35,000 miles. One can only purchase miles if one has flown a TK flight within the past year; if not, cannot purchase the 4,000 miles to make it up to 35,000. Other than flying TK, which means HKG/IST, does anyone have any suggestion how I can get the needed 4,000 miles to make it to 35,000?

Q2. One way, intra Asia economy class, SIN/HKG, requires 20,000 miles on Star Alliance partner like SQ. However, if I specify to book on TG, and want an overnight layover in BKK, TK says that's two sectors, ie SIN/BKK and BKK/HKG, meaning I need 20,000 x 2 = 40,000 miles. However, if I go onto TG website, and try to book one way SIN/HKG, there are several optional itineraries, that allow an overnight layover in BKK; for example, arrival in BKK late afternoon, and despite there being an evening flight BKK/HKG, and even the next morning flights BKK/HKG, TG allows an afternoon flight next day BKK/HKG meaning a layover of about 20 hours. Does anyone know if
TK can book me such a one way award ticket with overnight layover in BKK, and redeeming only 20,000 miles instead of a 2 sector 40,000 miles?

Thanks.

Last edited by tangoll; Oct 29, 2015 at 6:34 am Reason: minor correction
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by tangoll
Other than flying TK, which means HKG/IST, does anyone have any suggestion how I can get the needed 4,000 miles to make it to 35,000?
Fly any Star Alliance carrier (SQ, BR, CA, NH etc. from HKG) and earn TK miles for doing so... Hotel stays and car rentals also work.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Problem is expiring miles

Originally Posted by airoli
Fly any Star Alliance carrier (SQ, BR, CA, NH etc. from HKG) and earn TK miles for doing so... Hotel stays and car rentals also work.
Thanks for reply airoli, but my problem is that half my 31,000 miles expires by 31 Dec 2015, and I want to redeem those miles before then. I need 4000 miles to get that biz award, and even flying around Asia from HK on any Star Alliance airline will need quite a few flights. Best is if I could purchase the 4000 miles, at cost US$30 per 1,000 miles, but that option is available only if one has taken a TK flight within past year. And the only TK flight from HKG has to be to IST.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Problem is expiring miles - Buying Bonus Miles

I think there has been some misunderstanding here.

You can buy bonus miles if you flight any of *A member instead only TK.

Link: Buy Bonus Miles

In order to benefit from purchased Bonus Miles application on web page, call center or sales office , at least one Turkish Airlines OR Star Alliance member Airlines flight should be registered automatically (during check-in or reservation) into the membership account within one year.
There are many options at your home airport for flying *A Airlines, such as:
HKG-JJN with ZH
HKG-TPE with BR

Or,

You may be considered to look The Coupon Connection on FT.

Thanks for reply airoli, but my problem is that half my 31,000 miles expires by 31 Dec 2015, and I want to redeem those miles before then. I need 4000 miles to get that biz award, and even flying around Asia from HK on any Star Alliance airline will need quite a few flights. Best is if I could purchase the 4000 miles, at cost US$30 per 1,000 miles, but that option is available only if one has taken a TK flight within past year. And the only TK flight from HKG has to be to IST.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Good point.

Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
I think there has been some misunderstanding here.

You can buy bonus miles if you flight any of *A member instead only TK.

Link: Buy Bonus Miles

There are many options at your home airport for flying *A Airlines, such as:
HKG-JJN with ZH
HKG-TPE with BR

Or,

You may be considered to look The Coupon Connection on FT.
pencereamelesi, thank you for pointing that out. I took this quote from the
Buy Miles bonus miles for one's own account:

"The purchased bonus miles process cannot be completed because at least one flight should be registered automatically (during check-in or reservation) into the membership account within one year"

and assumed that one flight has to be a TK flight, but your quote of the relevant buy miles conditions shows that it can be a Star Alliance airline flight. In fact, I will be taking a TG flight later in November, and even if the booking code does not earn miles into my TK account, I assume that the flight counts as having been registered automatically at check-in.

I'll be sure to print out that condition of any Star Alliance flight.

Thanks again.

Last edited by tangoll; Nov 2, 2015 at 9:44 am Reason: minor correction
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
In fact, I will be taking a TG flight later in November, and even if the booking code does not earn miles into my TK account, I assume that the flight counts as having been registered automatically at check-in.
No. If the flight is not eligible to earn miles, there will be no record of it in the Miles&Smiles system and it will not count for anything.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
No. If the flight is not eligible to earn miles, there will be no record of it in the Miles&Smiles system and it will not count for anything.
Thanks again airoli. I went and changed my Thai Airways flight to a booking code that does earn mileage on TK. So hope all goes well after the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.