Wiki Posts
Search

Consequences of being offloaded

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Consequences of being offloaded

Just returned from a return trip from VAR-IST-AYT and originally had a 1 hour 30 min connection in IST.

The VAR-IST flight was delayed and we ended up landing with 55 minutes to make it to the next flight. We ran and just managed to make it to the domestic terminal in time, before boarding had started and found out we'd been offloaded as they didnt think we'd make it, but they managed to find space for us, although not sitting together (We were 2 adults, one 4 year old and an infant). Luckily onboard someone agreed to swap as my 4 year old daughter was crying at having to sit in-between 2 strangers.

The bag of course didnt make the earlier flight and as the following flight was delayed, lost baggage suggested they would deliver the bag to our hotel later that night. It never did come and our hotel phoned up and the airport had the bag and again said they'd deliver it that night. In the end, the hotel picked it up for us the next day and said it was quite common for this to happen.

So, went to check-in for the return flight and they couldnt find my reservation. It went along the line with the check-in girls and no-one could decide what to do. In the end, was sent to the booking desk and as we hadnt made the intended rebooked flight IST-AYT a week earlier (above), they cancelled the booking as a no show. Whatsmore, the IST-VAR flight was now fully booked. Now almost an hour had passed and it was getting close to boarding time, with the kids getting more and more restless. In the end, they manged to find 3 seats somehow, but again, spread throughout the plane. Once again, I had the embarrassing job of asking people to swap seats so the 4 year old wasn't alone.

On a more positive note as i'm *G with united, the desk allowed an extra guest for me and the whole family got to experience the lounge in Istanbul which was great.
Old May 7, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Thanks for the report, sounds like a screw-up on TK's part. One might argue that you shouldn't have been allowed to board the IST-AYT flight as you no longer held a reservation for it (like BA supposedly does at LHR for example).

I'd write TK about this, let us know your response if you get one!
Old May 7, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Thanks for the report, sounds like a screw-up on TK's part. One might argue that you shouldn't have been allowed to board the IST-AYT flight as you no longer held a reservation for it (like BA supposedly does at LHR for example).
!
I am afraid it's a more common occurence these days.

This is the reason I would not book any TK flights with less than 3 hours connection to domestic flight within 1 ticket and this is the perfect example of being better off under seperate ticket when there's domestic segment involved.

Under the scenario above, even if I missed the flight to AYT, I would've still retained IST-VAR flight and purchased another IST-AYT ticket last minute which isn't that expensive (relatively).
Old May 8, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by vincewy
I am afraid it's a more common occurence these days.

This is the reason I would not book any TK flights with less than 3 hours connection to domestic flight within 1 ticket and this is the perfect example of being better off under seperate ticket when there's domestic segment involved.

Under the scenario above, even if I missed the flight to AYT, I would've still retained IST-VAR flight and purchased another IST-AYT ticket last minute which isn't that expensive (relatively).
Or instead of using separate tickets or extended layover times just use one ticket as allowed.
If a offload happens due to delay and you are making the flight as mentioned inform TK straight after arrival that the flight is used as booked and that you will use the return flight as booked. In this way you will prevent a cancellation. I don't think that a offload happens that often to the same person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.