Wiki Posts
Search

TK18 YYZ-IST in-flight meal service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

TK18 YYZ-IST in-flight meal service

Hello,

TK18 from Toronto to Istanbul leaves pretty late at night, and I was wondering if they still provide a full meal service after take off on this flight in all cabins (Y and J).
Does anyone have experience with this flight?

Thanks a lot in advance-
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I have flown it in J and it is a full meal service after take off (and an excellent one at that!!)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:34 pm
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I have flown it in J and it is a full meal service after take off (and an excellent one at that!!)
Same with economy.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!!
Looking forward to my trip to Turkey in a couple of months!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:58 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I recently did IST-YUL (in the reverse direction) in business.

On these TK long hauls in J, there is one really large meal (like 4-5 courses) served from the trolley, and a lighter course served in two servings (appetizer served first, followed by a main).

The large meal included, turkish delight welcome, amuse bouches, appetizers from the cart, soup, main, dessert, cheeses etc.. It was a massive feed of almost unlimited proportions if you had more than one starter from the cart.

There is also an LED candlelight served along with the meal, which was quaint.

I would imagine YYZ-IST is similar. I found that the service was much more substantial than the medium hauls in TK J.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I would imagine YYZ-IST is similar.
Yes, it is. Same for YUL-IST, which also leaves very late at night.

And as much as I appreciate TK's elaborate meal service, on a 2300 departure something a little more expedient than a 3h affair would have been okay. @:-) Keep the 5 course trolley service for the daylight flights!

(All of this refers to J but I am told that Y also has full meal service after departure on the eastbound flights.)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: TK Elite *A Gold, Air Berlin Gold - One World Sapphire, Westjet Gold, Avis Preferred, IHG Gold
I will be doing this very round trip in May with a combo of J and PE LHR-IST-YYZ and will get back to you with my experiences.

ZT
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Yes, it is. Same for YUL-IST, which also leaves very late at night.

And as much as I appreciate TK's elaborate meal service, on a 2300 departure something a little more expedient than a 3h affair would have been okay. @:-) Keep the 5 course trolley service for the daylight flights!

(All of this refers to J but I am told that Y also has full meal service after departure on the eastbound flights.)
Try an 01:00 departure (or even a 2:00 departure as there will soon be) and see how much one enjoys a 2.5 hour meal service...

Old May 2, 2015, 3:16 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by teahan
Try an 01:00 departure (or even a 2:00 departure as there will soon be) and see how much one enjoys a 2.5 hour meal service...

Funny you should mention this, as I have an upcoming IST-KIX flight in J which leaves at 01:15 am I believe. Is it still a full service at that hour? As much as I enjoy the feast, I think I'll just eat in the lounge and check out after a night cap onboard.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Far Siren
Funny you should mention this, as I have an upcoming IST-KIX flight in J which leaves at 01:15 am I believe. Is it still a full service at that hour? As much as I enjoy the feast, I think I'll just eat in the lounge and check out after a night cap onboard.
I believe it will be a full meal. The 1am JNB/CPT departure is a full meal (first course is one the tray, but desert is still the cart).
Old May 8, 2015, 11:29 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
It seems that on long haul flights departing after 12A, TK offers a "shortened" meal service in J by omitting the appetizer course served from the cart in order to save time and allow people to rest quicker.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aw
It seems that on long haul flights departing after 12A, TK offers a "shortened" meal service in J by omitting the appetizer course served from the cart in order to save time and allow people to rest quicker.
This was true for out 01:00ish departure IST-SIN. No trolley for appetizers and no coffee trolley. BTW surprisingly our business meal IST-ORD was the single worst airline meal I've ever had in any class. Dreadfully over cooked beef "tenderloin" that was shoe leather with an off flavor that badly prepared beef can get. The "chef" said he knew but that's what they boarded. Then DON'T SERVE IT!!
Old May 9, 2015, 6:28 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by milepig
...BTW surprisingly our business meal IST-ORD was the single worst airline meal I've ever had in any class. Dreadfully over cooked beef "tenderloin" that was shoe leather with an off flavor that badly prepared beef can get...!!
Oh well, there goes my belief that anything catered out of IST by Do&Co is flawlessly executed. In your case the presence of a chef on board compounds the negative experience. Hopefully that was a one time off occurrence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.