Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish e-Visa (from April 2014 no more on-arrival visas)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Important Notice

Please be advised that from 10 April you will not be able to get a visa on arrival any more. You will have to apply for an e-Visa in advance or if denied apply for a visa at the nearest embassy or consulate.

Only use this website: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

However the Turkish Authorities also say that they will install automated machines at ports where the e-visa can be obtained. How this will impact on whether you are allowed to board a flight to Turkey is unclear as airlines usually do not allow passengers to board without a valid visa.
Print Wikipost

Turkish e-Visa (from April 2014 no more on-arrival visas)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Why? There a shedloads of hub airports where visas are required. Nothing changes with regard to eligibility for visas. All you have to do is plan ahead.
Out of principle, I don't connect in airports where I cannot at the last moment decide to enter the country (in case of a missed connection for instance). As far as I remember - over the last 15 years or so - I have never connected in such an airport. (Having a European passport helps of course...)
Being able to buy a VoA is fine for me, but I don't want to plan ahead and request (and pay) visas that I probably will not need.

But maybe I should have said "So that's the end of IST as a connection airport then FOR ME". I don't think this will stop lots of other people from using IST.

Last edited by Koby; Jan 11, 2014 at 10:09 am Reason: added extra text
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:10 pm

Weird question (well maybe not so weird as this is FT) - I know that the whole process of the e-visa is much simpler and faster, but can someone tell me the difference of the "in passport" bit? I.e. did the VoA involve an actual 'sticker' (as implied further up thread), or is it just a stamp either way? I'm a bit of a nutter when it comes to collecting passport stamps, but I am also starting to run low on pages so I'm in a bit of a quandary. Total first world problems, I am aware.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Weird question (well maybe not so weird as this is FT) - I know that the whole process of the e-visa is much simpler and faster, but can someone tell me the difference of the "in passport" bit? I.e. did the VoA involve an actual 'sticker' (as implied further up thread), or is it just a stamp either way? I'm a bit of a nutter when it comes to collecting passport stamps, but I am also starting to run low on pages so I'm in a bit of a quandary. Total first world problems, I am aware.
If it makes you feel any better, your passport still gets stamped even with the e-visa, and in addition they also stamp the e-visa, both on entry and exit (since it's multientry).
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oziman
If it makes you feel any better, your passport still gets stamped even with the e-visa, and in addition they also stamp the e-visa, both on entry and exit (since it's multientry).
OP: Why are you talking abouth"totaly first world problems?" Turkey wants to be a first world country,and it passes itself up as such. Even realistically asesed Turkey is NOT a Third world country,even though there are forces inside it that wants to make it one!!

Oziman bey : Why are you moaning abouth visa problems,-get in With Mr E,make a few shoeboxes full of money,and boy,your Shengen visa problems are ower!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Jan 14, 2014 at 10:29 am
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
It involved both (payment stickers and stamps), at least for those of us who had to pay on arrival as tourists on OECD country passports. The payment stickers weren't traditional visa stickers of the sort that include name of recipient, etc.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 14, 2014 at 1:06 pm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by geirfugl
OP: Why are you talking abouth"totaly first world problems?" Turkey wants to be a first world country,and it passes itself up as such. Even realistically asesed Turkey is NOT a Third world country,even though there are forces inside it that wants to make it one!!

Oziman bey : Why are you moaning abouth visa problems,-get in With Mr E,make a few shoeboxes full of money,and boy,your Shengen visa problems are ower!!
hahahaha. I was not complaining :=) I never said I needed a visa, either
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:03 pm

Perhaps I should have been clearer - I'm not making any comments regarding the status of Turkey!

I was making comments regarding first world problems as it's not really a relevant issue (stamp vs sticker). "First world problem" is usually a reference to something that is utterly trivial.

But thanks for the other clarifications, much appreciated!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The mandatory e-visa has now been postponed to November.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: FB Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by starflyergold
The mandatory e-visa has now been postponed to November.
Yep, and apparently they will also place self-service machines at the airports for people who arrive without an e-visa.

I also read that the best news for the Dutch is that online payments can soon also be done with Ideal. Apparently a big complaint here was that only credit cards were accepted for payment, as many Dutch don't have a credit card I find it hard to believe that you'd travel abroad without one, but hey, who am I...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
So (in theory) when I land in IST on my trip in April I can still get a visa on arrival and the sticker that goes with it? Again, like the traveller above it's just a trivial curiosity I have about getting more visa stickers and stamps!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
So (in theory) when I land in IST on my trip in April I can still get a visa on arrival and the sticker that goes with it? Again, like the traveller above it's just a trivial curiosity I have about getting more visa stickers and stamps!
correct
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Schwann
What are queue times like for VOA?

Any nationality-specific lines or lines for premium-class passengers?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: QR EK AC BA TK 9W AY
Visa Queue and Validity Period

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
What are queue times like for VOA?

Any nationality-specific lines or lines for premium-class passengers?
Last few times I was through the queue was empty, so no problem.

For premium TK give transiting passengers a bright red priority card, but then you wouldn't need a visa, right?

The visa desk is against the windows, opposite passport control, and the TK premium entrance is just after that, so probably there isn't any choice but to go to the public window.

My first e-visa I went to the window, and they gave me a stamp just like the old one. The second visit I went straight to immigration and it worked fine. The third visit I was staying for 10 days, and my e-visa expired exactly in the middle. Turkey is one of many countries where it is (or at least was) illegal to have 2 valid visas. I was traveling with a government ministerial delegation, so I took the invitation to the Turkish embassy, and got a full-page visa in my passport based on that. Still technically illegal, but better than leaving the country for 24 hours in the middle of a trip. Now I am overnighting this weekend on the way to Sochi, but the dates will cause the same problem for me in August, when I am usually returning from Canada after summer holidays.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks for that. I'm weighing up the faff of an e-visa (includes finding a printer while staying with dear-but-technophobe friends), against any benefits from avoiding sticker-visa queues.

Sticker-visa is also about 20% cheaper
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:12 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Reminder that the new rules come into effect this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.