Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I'll be traveling on TK on a UA award ticket in business class. I plan to do my 5-week trip with carry-on only. I will have a 22-inch Travelpro Maxlite 4 rollaboard and a Pacsafe 25L backpack.

My question is: Will TK weigh my items?

I'm sure the backpack will be under 8 kg, but not so sure about the rollaboard. My routing is IAH-IST-BOD (Bordeaux) and BCN-IST-SFO, with overnight layovers both ways in IST.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
In business class I think you will be fine. They only weighed my carry-on a couple of times and it was always when travelling Y. Unless your roller looks massively overstuffed, TK is usually not too annoying with that, so I really believe they won't bother a J pax.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:18 am

Hey folks,

I already did some search regarding limited capacity and redemption of Elite+ vouchers but did not really find the answers helping me along as e.g. links to ANA tool to check award availability were not valid anymore ... maybe someone can help me along and provide me with the correct FT forum links for the corresponding threads. Would be really helpful.

I'm planning a vacation trip with my girlfriend in Business and like to avoid mistakes when booking the tickets. It's a little difficult (at laeast for me) as I will get my ticket via my company's travel portal while we think of buying an Economy ticket for her and upgrade it to Business or redeeming a Business award directly. We will both have the same leg from IST to Asia and return but not from Germany to IST and back.

I'm Elite Plus and have about 200.000 miles in my account.

My thoughts so far

For me it's rather simple. I book my flights via company's travel portal in Business. Alternatively in Economy and redeem my two upgrade vouchers which I otherwise won't use in the next 12 months. But ... is there a guarantee that I can use my upgrade voucher? Where I can I check during the time of booking and what do I have to do immediately after having the ticket issued? Or might I end up in Economy? Then I rather book Business directly.

Companion award tickets only work in case I would also have my ticket as a Business award and we have the exactly same routing, right? So for us no chance as my ticket will definitely by a paid one (either Eco + Upgrade voucher OR Business)

Companion ticket (50% discount on Business paid tickets) won't work either as we start from different German airports and only then have the leg to/from Asia together, right?

So only two options remain for her:

1. Buying an Economy ticket for her (850 Euro) and upgrading it to Business (90.000 miles)
2. Redeeming a Business award ticket (Limited capacity = 400 US$ + 90.000 miles; Seat-guaranteed flight = 400 US$ + 230.000 miles)

I didn't really figure out how those "limited capacity awards" work. How can I check whether there are Business award tickets with limited capacity upfront? Or is the final decision only made at the checkin and she otherwise get a regular Economy ticket?

Additional thoughts

In case we after all chose to depart and arrive from the same airport in Germany and I buy a Business ticket via my company's travel portal ... then I can make use of a companion ticket (50% discount on Business paid tickets), right? But what do I have to consider when/before booking? Is it possible at all to have both tickets on the same PNR when booking mine in the first place via my company's travel portal?

Hope you got my idea and have some answers to my newbie-questions?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
HeinzSchmolke
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi All,

I know nothing about Turkish Airlines. I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. My favourite airline/class is QR/J and I have BAEC Gold and keep most of my flying within Oneworld although I have taken a few J flights on EK and EY.

I'm looking to go to Thailand in May and have been searching google flights and TK have a great business fare ORD-BKK at $2900. I've been looking at some youtube flights and TK look pretty good. How do they stack up to the likes of CX/EK/EY and QR in J please?

If I join miles and smiles will a ORD-IST-BKK return in J get me any status please?

Thanks,
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: miles & smiles , flying blue , one world
Originally Posted by capin
Hi All,

I know nothing about Turkish Airlines. I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. My favourite airline/class is QR/J and I have BAEC Gold and keep most of my flying within Oneworld although I have taken a few J flights on EK and EY.

I'm looking to go to Thailand in May and have been searching google flights and TK have a great business fare ORD-BKK at $2900. I've been looking at some youtube flights and TK look pretty good. How do they stack up to the likes of CX/EK/EY and QR in J please?

If I join miles and smiles will a ORD-IST-BKK return in J get me any status please?

Thanks,

hello ,
tk is pretty good in bc , in some respect even better than most other airlines .
even though the lounge is now to big and sometimes crowed it is worth to pay a visit while in istanbul . food excellt and lots of varity .

i have been platinum since 4 years , but do not know if the one flight will take you straight to gold . just look it up on tk website make sure you choose the old version .

have a good flight
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in Miles&smiles and I have a big question about the deadlines of qualify for a elite status.
I started the program from zero on October last year so that means I have only 2 months left to reach the status.

I started the program exactly on OCT19 last year which means my very first status miles was calculated on that day.

Here my question is : Can i still catch the status before OCT18 this year? Or I must reach it before SEP30 this year?

Because as TK said my status based on "status miles calculate within last 12 months".

2016/10-2017/9 are 12 consecutively months.

I really have no idea about that 12 months means 365days or not in TK. Will my status miles still counted as last 12 consecutively months after September this year?

I really hope I have a longer period to finish it.

Million THANKS!!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold), Le Club Accorhotels Gold
12 months from first flight (miles on account)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mtah
hello ,
tk is pretty good in bc , in some respect even better than most other airlines .
even though the lounge is now to big and sometimes crowed it is worth to pay a visit while in istanbul . food excellt and lots of varity .

i have been platinum since 4 years , but do not know if the one flight will take you straight to gold . just look it up on tk website make sure you choose the old version .

have a good flight
Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Miles & More FTL
Turkish CIP lounge access

Hi everyone!

I'll soon be flying IST-FRA in J with Lufthansa. Can someone confirm that I'll have access to the nice Turkish CIP lounge even if I'm not flying TK?

(I don't have Star Alliance status)

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:50 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Anderson24
Hi everyone!

I'll soon be flying IST-FRA in J with Lufthansa. Can someone confirm that I'll have access to the nice Turkish CIP lounge even if I'm not flying TK?

(I don't have Star Alliance status)

Thanks!
Star Alliance business class pax have access (no guests).
Anderson24 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:05 am

Hi,

What's the order of TK boarding groups? I see on my BP it says Group C. I am *G does it make sense?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ILman
Hi,

What's the order of TK boarding groups? I see on my BP it says Group C. I am *G does it make sense?
You are likely in an aisle seat if you got group C. But with Star G you can board anytime.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
You are likely in an aisle seat if you got group C. But with Star G you can board anytime.
Thanks. So even it says Group C they will let me board anytime if it says *G on my boarding pass?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ILman
Thanks. So even it says Group C they will let me board anytime if it says *G on my boarding pass?
Yes, Star Gold, Elite, Elite Plus and J class get priority boarding before any group.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:18 pm

Hi!
Looking at using M&S for a Star Alliance flight - I'm looking to fly from NYC to Moscow on Aeroflot and back from St Petersburg - If I've read the routing rules right, an Open Jaw is allowed and that would be an allowed booking? Is that accurate? I'd actually like to fly from BOS to JFK have either a layover (23 hrs) or a stopover 1-2 days before continuing - this would need to be on a different carrier (Delta) - I know you can not combine Star alliance carriers on a 1 way but what about a RT or would bos-NYC price out as an additional flight? Any thoughts on the pricing for business class?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.