Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by mayday23
Flying from ORD->IST->VCE in July.

Have 1.5h layover in IST. Do I need to need to clear customs and grab luggage in IST? Or just clear in Venice?
You just walk from one gate to another. Nothing else. No immigration no re-checking of the bags. You take the international connection path and will need to show the next boarding pass.
mayday23 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Is it possible to book a reservation online for 2 people and pay with 2 credit cards? If not can this be done over the phone? Tried to call Turkish... but can't get through (busy)
Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Flying ZRH-IST-ADB. Can I check bags through to ADB? I assume that I will clear immigration in IST. Connection time is 1 hour 40 minutes. Flying in Business.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Flying ZRH-IST-ADB. Can I check bags through to ADB? I assume that I will clear immigration in IST. Connection time is 1 hour 40 minutes. Flying in Business.
Yes, ADB has customs facilities thus your bags would be automatically checked through Izmir.
Also, you would clear passport control at Istanbul but if you would declare anything from your checked baggage, that would be done at Izmir.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:40 pm

Any experience flying in this row as someone tall? The exit row seats A, B, and J, K are taken. I am looking at either D or G which are aisle with what I am presuming is either a lavatory or bulkhead in front? Any thoughts?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:07 pm

I am looking at the flight from San Fransisco (USA) to Mumbai (India) via Istanbul. I was wondering if the Turkish airline is a good airline in terms of the plane being clean, staff being cordial and food being decent. Also i was wondering if it flies anywhere near Ukraine during the current ongoing conflict?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by salilsurendran
I am looking at the flight from San Fransisco (USA) to Mumbai (India) via Istanbul. I was wondering if the Turkish airline is a good airline in terms of the plane being clean, staff being cordial and food being decent. Also i was wondering if it flies anywhere near Ukraine during the current ongoing conflict?
TK is a good airline. You will like the food and will be special for you if is your first time eating typical turkish food (and if tou don’t take the pasta option). TK does not fly near the conflict area. The airplane is clean, staff depends - most feel the FA are a bit cold. Delta for example is better in this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:12 am

Hello, I haven't flown Star Alliance in about 20 years. Currently AA ExPlat but thinking of moving away from AA. I've heard good things about TK and I'm looking for a program where we can pool family miles. Our family of 5 is taking several flights this summer on EgyptAir and Aegean. Possibly TK as well. We usually fly from DFW to Europe or Africa. I've read that you can't pool M&S right off the bat, you have to hit a certain status first. Those who know, is M&S the easiest program to start with? We are very interested in exploring Turkey summer 2023. Thanks, all.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:35 pm

Seafood Meal

I noticed for our upcoming ATL-IST-STR trip in J there is an option to select a "seafood meal" that's in the list of the halal/vegetarian/etc meals.

Can anyone advise what this meal consists of?

Thanks as always.

CJ
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I noticed for our upcoming ATL-IST-STR trip in J there is an option to select a "seafood meal" that's in the list of the halal/vegetarian/etc meals.

Can anyone advise what this meal consists of?

Thanks as always.

CJ
Shellfish, crabs or scampi tails and fish and sides and desert. If this option is available - did you try selecting it? Don’t worry, you can revert to the standard meal or other meal. You can make changes just 24/48 hrs prior the flight
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:18 pm

I didn't select it, as I was looking forward to trolly service again. The last few J flights have been one tray covered in 50lbs of plastic.

Is this served on one tray, and have you had it?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:42 pm

I didn't select it, as I was looking forward to trolly service again. The last few J flights have been one tray covered in 50lbs of plastic.

Is this served on one tray, and have you had it?
I kinnda had it, not by preorder but by choice selection onboard (seafood starter + seafood main - was seabass baked in paper)
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:08 pm

Quick help with cancellations

Hello,

Almost all flights from IST to Germany have been cancelled today (March 22) because of a security workers walkout.

When we landed in IST yesterday from ATL I received a text stating my STR (Stuttgart) flight was cancelled. In the Business lounge I noticed the later afternoon flight had cancelled as well. After some research it looks like a majority of flights to German airports have been cancelled.

However the afternoon flight today to Köln was still showing as a non-cancelled option. Becuase we are on business class award tickets it took some time, but they were able to put us in J.

My question is, can anyone tell me whether they think this flight will actually go? If not I'm going to try to fly to Austria and then get a train to Köln. The walkout doesn't seem to be affecting arrivals, as most German airports still show lots of them, but primarily just a departure issue.

Sorry for rambling, and thanks for any help.

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Mar 21, 2022 at 8:40 pm
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Hello,

Almost all flights from IST to Germany have been cancelled today (March 22) because of a security workers walkout.

When we landed in IST yesterday from ATL I received a text stating my STR (Stuttgart) flight was cancelled. In the Business lounge I noticed the later afternoon flight had cancelled as well. After some research it looks like a majority of flights to German airports have been cancelled.

However the afternoon flight today to Köln was still showing as a non-cancelled option. Becuase we are on business class award tickets it took some time, but they were able to put us in J.

My question is, can anyone tell me whether they think this flight will actually go? If not I'm going to try to fly to Austria and then get a train to Köln. The walkout doesn't seem to be affecting arrivals, as most German airports still show lots of them, but primarily just a departure issue.

Sorry for rambling, and thanks for any help.
What departs has to arrive (and vice versa)... The risk is that should the Köln flight be cancelled the availability into Austria could disappear very quickly if it has not done so already. It is a gamble and it depends how important it is to get where you are going today.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
What departs has to arrive (and vice versa)... The risk is that should the Köln flight be cancelled the availability into Austria could disappear very quickly if it has not done so already. It is a gamble and it depends how important it is to get where you are going today.
Thanks DaveS
looking around at other German airports, arrivals are still coming in. It appears to be manly a checking-in/transit security problem and not so much an arrival/Customs/immigration problem.

The flight is completly full, except a few seats in J. My only thought is will TK fly the full flight to CGN knowing nobody can get thought security for the departure, or is there enough cargo demand to warrant the flight anyway, or does the plane just end up sitting in Koln overnight.

We'll see soon. My other option is BRU then a 2 hr train.
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.