Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by zennie

I'm worried that it will take months of arguing (as it did when I was calling for my rights in past) with unpredictable result. The J in the flights I specifically chose may be full quickly. Any experiences?
The voucher credit to E+ accounts seems to have become a bit hit and miss. I had to approach customer service for mine, and received an apology and the voucher within a couple of days.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
It strikes me how someone can come up with a process of ”loading vouchers onto an account”, on request by customer, through a feedback form, only. Seriously?

I did this too in anticipation to avoid problems when making a booking. It was just as people write here, through feedback form etc and in the end got info that they are loaded now.

I am still pretty confident however that when I am making a booking and calling in to upgrade, they are telling me I have no vouchers.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
Still just card holder eligible to use this voucher.
But, I tried to upgrade with my lap-infant daughter who were on the same ticket with me, succeeded without problem.
Sorry for dragging up a 5-year old post, but it's the only mention of "infant" in this entire thread I could find. (Do E+ members not have kids? )

I'm rather curious as to whether one should (or could):
  1. Add the lap infant to the Y ticket, presumably paying 10% of the Y fare for the lap infant, but essentially getting the infant upgraded for free along with the parent, unless the new system just blocks the upgrade
  2. Upgrade the Y ticket first, then add the lap infant later, again presumably meaning that 10% of the J fare would need to be paid.
P.S. I think TK charges 10% of the fare for infants (international), but as always the TK website isn't helpful and calling TK may not result in the correct answer.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: TK E+
Angry

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The voucher credit to E+ accounts seems to have become a bit hit and miss. I had to approach customer service for mine, and received an apology and the voucher within a couple of days.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Probably, they would reply back to your feedback on Monday or Tuesday and load the Elite Plus vouchers to your account.
If J availability is still there, you won't have any problems. If not, good luck as it would take a huge amount of time TK listening to the recordings of your phone call, opening inventory, etc...
Thank you very much both.

I filed the report on Friday night, and Saturday around 1 pm, I already got a reply that two vouchers were added to my account. That's well, my first positive experience with TK support... (the fact that I needed the support is not that positive though.)

Now need to hope that the seats are still available in a week, because I've meanwhile flown to area with extra expensive roaming calls and too bad internet connection for Skype
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:42 pm

Anyone who was able to use voucher for E+ Member and companion too?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by claenen
Anyone who was able to use voucher for E+ Member and companion too?
Unfortunately, it's not possible to use Elite Plus vouchers for other people including companions traveling with the cardholder. Only the cardholder could benefit from the vouchers.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
I see J class availability to a (return)flight to DPS. Is it possible to upgrade a eco ticket (return) with one E+ voucher and one leg with 45k miles ?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by no_idea
I see J class availability to a (return)flight to DPS. Is it possible to upgrade a eco ticket (return) with one E+ voucher and one leg with 45k miles ?
Yes, of course
no_idea likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, of course
So J class availability guaranteed a 45k miles upgrade to biz ?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Does anyone have any experience what happens with an OTA booking in case of a schedule change? I assume the upgrade sticks, but would the OTA try to confirm the change (which may lead to a downgrade)?
Saw in this post that the upgrade is correctly reflected on Expedia - but how does it look like after a schedule change?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no_idea
So J class availability guaranteed a 45k miles upgrade to biz ?
Yes, however, if you are flying DPS-IST-XXX, J class availability should be present at both flights as married segments. You could do the mileage upgrade online if J fare class is available for your routing.

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Does anyone have any experience what happens with an OTA booking in case of a schedule change? I assume the upgrade sticks, but would the OTA try to confirm the change (which may lead to a downgrade)?
Saw in this post that the upgrade is correctly reflected on Expedia - but how does it look like after a schedule change?
That's an interesting situation, probably the best thing would be to do nothing unless the flight is overbooked.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:43 pm

I just stumbled with this when trying to upgrade my flight. I first called to see if I would be able to use the vouchers before booking. I was informed that they can only check if I already have the tickets. So I proceed to spend 30 minutes booking a reward ticket for mu husband and then an economy ticket for me only to be told that I do not have vouchers on my account.

I became E+ in June 2018, used the vouchers in 2018 and did not use any in 2019. I was told I need to send a feedback form and hope that there is still availability for upgrade. If not, I would need to explain that I tried to upgrade in the past. It is quite frustrating to say the least. When the whole schedule relies on everything working out and in the end you are missing what you are owed in your account with zero visibility.

Hoping that they reply on Monday and I still have the opportunity to upgrade

Update: Sent the feedback Friday evening, received reply Thursday morning. Vouchers have been added to my account, but they did not automatically upgrade my flight. I called separately and there were still seats available, so that worked out.

Last edited by atanasova; Mar 12, 2020 at 3:35 am
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite, QR Gold
Upgrade questions

Hi,
1. Is any economy fare upgradeable using E+ vouchers?
2. Can a return ticket (ex: IST-NYC-IST) be upgraded using 1 voucher if there is availability in both segments?
3. Can the vouchers be redeemed for people other than the voucher owner?

Thanks for the help
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ataey
Hi,
1. Is any economy fare upgradeable using E+ vouchers?
2. Can a return ticket (ex: IST-NYC-IST) be upgraded using 1 voucher if there is availability in both segments?
3. Can the vouchers be redeemed for people other than the voucher owner?

Thanks for the help
It's not your day: a definite No to the second and third questions. But as far as I know, any economy fare is upgradable: the key, and limiting factor, is finding J fare-class availability.

The Wiki at the opening of this thread is your bible on these issues.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But as far as I know, any economy fare is upgradable: the key, and limiting factor, is finding J fare-class availability.

And I understand from another thread that J bucket has been zeroed out network-wide for the duration of COVID with E+ upgrades only possible at the airport on the day of travel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.